1. Expression:gild the lily
Explanation:To further adorn something that is already beautiful. (进一步装饰已经美丽的东西,画蛇添足,多此一举)
Example:Your house has lovely brickwork. Don't paint it. That would be gilding the lily.
你的房子的砌砖和漂亮,不要去用油漆去粉刷,否则就弄巧成拙了。
Oh, Sally. You're beautiful the way you are. You don't need makeup. You would be gilding the lily.
噢,Sally,你本来就很美,你不需要化妆,否则就画蛇添足了。
Comment on this would be to gild the lily.
对此发表评说无异于画蛇添足。
You look radiant as always—wearing such an extravagant gown is just gilding the lily.
你看上去一如既往地容光焕发,穿着如此奢侈的礼物简直就是多此一举。
These days it's dangerous for a candidate to go out on a limb and gild the lily about his life, his political views or his accomplishments. Both his opponent's side and the media leap at the chance to check up his claims and expose any mistakes they can find.
如今,对候选人构成危险的做法是公开发表言论为自己脸上贴金,炫耀自己的生活,张扬本人的政治观点,或者卖弄个人成就。不论是跟他对立的一方还是新闻界都在等待时机核查他的声言是否和事实相符,并随时准备揭发他们所能找到的任何不实事求是的地方。(这里的gild the lily的意思是弄巧成拙,作徒劳无益的虚饰)
2. Expresssion:a piece of cake
Explanation:A very easy task or accomplishment. (非常简单的工作或技能)
Example:I thought I was going to fail the test, but it turned out to be a piece of cake!
我以为我考试不会及格,但结果却是小菜一碟。
Her family have 11 children, so looking after 4 will be a piece of cake for her.
她家有11个孩子,所以照看4个孩子对她来说是小菜一碟。
Persuading him to give us the day off won't be a piece of cake.
要说通他放我们假可不是容易事。
Don't think this job a piece of cake. You'll have to rack your brains once you start on it.
别以为这工作是易如反掌的事,你干了就知道它是很伤脑筋的。
Honey, I finally asked Old Man Jones for my raise. And it was a piece of cake!
亲爱的,我终于对老琼斯提了要求增加工资的事。我没有费吹灰之力他一口答应了。
3. Expression:take the cake
Explanation :To be the best or the most outstanding. (是最好的或最杰出的)
Example:You've done some nice murals, but this one takes the cake!
你画了一些漂亮的壁画,但这幅最出色!
Look at those fireworks, If they don't take the cake, I don't know what does.
看那些焰火,如果它们算不上最好的,我真不知道什么才是最好的。
Sam takes the cake as a storyteller.
山姆讲故事时无与伦比的。