新单词
executive adj.
行政的
available adj.
可利用的,可得到的
expansion n.
扩大,扩建
unprofitable adj.
不盈利的
capacity adj.
容积,容量
alternative n.
二中送一,替换物
property n.
地产
construction n.
建筑,修建
proximity n.
接近,临近
Phrases & Expressions
短语
put together
拼凑,拼拢
be concerned about
关心,挂念
in particular
特别,尤其
in terms of
依....,从...的方面
phase out
使逐步结束,使逐步停止(活动等)
William:I read your report on labor costs in our plants, Jenny. It was well-written.
W:詹妮,我看了你写的工厂劳动成本的报告,写得不错。
Smith:Thanks, Reed. I put it together at David's request.
S:谢谢,里德是大卫要我写的。
He's very concerned about the Beijing plant in particular.
他特别关注北京厂的情况。
W:I know. I met with him yesterday to report on the options we have available in terms of expansion.
W:我知道。昨天我向汇报了有关扩建工厂的几个方案。
In fact, it was your data on the rising labor costs in Beijing that gave David the idea of phasing out our unprofitable operation there and opening a new and bigger facility somewhere else.
实际上,是你关于劳动成本正在上升这些数据给了大卫启发,他建议逐步停止北京厂的生产,而在别的地方新建一个更大的工厂。
S:How much of an expansion are we talking about?
S:扩建规模将有多大?
W:I'm recommending a facility of about 200 000 square feet, which will more than double our present capacity.
W:我建议新厂占地20万平方英尺,是现有厂房的两倍。
Besides, it'll permit us to lower unit costs and give us a much better profit picture.
另外,这将帮助我们降低单位成本,利润前景很大。
S:Hmm... but we still have an important choice to make.
S:嗯...但我们仍得作出重大抉择。
Do we find an existing facility that meets our needs and lease it? Do we buy an existing facility?
我们是找到一处已有的可以满足我们需求的厂房把它租下来,还是买下来?
Or do we build our own plant from the ground up?
或许是我是“白手起家”,从平地上建我们自己的工厂?
W:Well, I've spoken to a few real estate brokers already.
W:我已和一些房地产经纪人谈过此事。
And the problem is there just don't seem to be that many facilities available, either for buying or leasing.
问题是好像没有那么多的可供租赁或买下?
S:In that case, we may have no alternative but to find a suitable piece of property and build our own plant.
S:这样的话,我们就没有什么选择余地。只能找到一块合适的地址建我们自己的工厂。
W:As I see it, whether we buy, build, or lease, the most important thing is locating a favorable labor climate,
W:我认为,不管是买,是建还是租,最重要的是选择一个有劳动力优势的地方。
but also a site that will meet out needs in terms of taxes, labor supply,
但这一地方还应在税收,劳动力供应
construction costs, proximity to transportation,and so on.
建筑成本,交通便利等诸多方面满足我们的要求。
S:And don't forget labor costs!
斯:还有,别忘了考虑劳动成本!
W:Right! You know, I just had an idea. There's been a lot of economic growth in Tianjin.
W:对!我有一个想法。天津近来经济发展挺快。
I have a couple of friends in the real estate business down there. One of them's a broker.
那儿我也正好有几个从事房地产的朋友,有一个是经纪人。
He might be able to recommend something suitable.
或许他能给我们推荐一处适合的地方。
S:You never know. Well, why don't we make that the first step in our plan of action?
S:没难。我们可以把这作为行动计划中的第一步,你说呢?
W:I'll get started on it right away. Who knows? I may get a chance to see some old friends again.
W:我会立即着手的,谁知道呢?或许我会有机会见到我的一些老朋友了。