Finding one's true vocation
找到一个人真正的职业
Read this excerpt from the autobiographical novel Roughing It
读读这个引自自传体小说《艰难岁月》中的摘录
to discover how the writer Mark Twain found his true vocation in Virginia City, Nevada.
找找作者马克吐温是怎样在内华达州弗吉尼亚市建立起他真正的职业生涯的。
What to do next?
下一步做什么呢?
It was a momentous question. I had gone out into the world to shift for myself.
这是个重要的问题。我已经步入社会,独立谋生了。
I had gained a livelihood in various vocations, but no one was dazzled with my success.
尽管我做过各种工作来维持生计,可是都是微不足道的活儿。
I had once been a grocery clerk for one day,but had consumed so much sugar that I was fired.
一次我在一间杂货铺做了一天的店员,由于吃了太多的糖而被开除。
I had studied law an entire week, and then given it up because it was so tiresome.
我用过一整周学习法律,但是因为它太烦人了而中途放弃。
I had been a bookseller's clerk for a while,
我曾有段时间在一家书店当过店员,
but the customers bothered me so much that I could not read with any comfort.
但是由于顾客们经常打扰我使得我自己都不能舒适的看书了。
I had been a private secretary, a silver miner and a silver mill operator,
我曾做过私人秘书,采银矿工,银矿主,
and amounted to less than nothing in each, and now-
但却都一事无成,现在?
What to do next?
下一步做什么呢?
I gave in to Higbie and tried mining once more.
我再次对希格比让步,又一次尝试了采矿。
We climbed far up on the mountainside and went to work.
我们爬上了远处的山腰,在那里开工。
Higbie descended into the shaft and worked with his pick till he had loosened up some rock and dirt,
希格比下至矿井,用他的鹤嘴锄工作着直至锄松了一些岩石和污泥,
and then I went down with a shovel to throw it out,
我拿着铁锹下井然后开始挖土,
I made the toss, and landed the mess just on the edge of the shaft.
我挖了土,把一片狼藉留在了矿井边。
It all came back on my head and down the back of my neck.
土都落回到了我的头上,沿着我的脖子后边落了下去。
I never said a word, but climbed out and walked home.
我从没有过怨言,只是爬出来然后走回家。
I sat down in the cabin, and gave myself up to misery.
我坐在棚屋里,陷入了痛苦之中。