In any case, the same as the children, Judge Applegarth, Fenton Lockhart, and you. Judge Applegarth? Who's he?
我就跟他们一样——孩子们、阿普尔加思评判员、芬顿·洛克哈特还有你。阿普尔加思评判员?他是谁?
He judged swine at a county fair one time, so we call him Judge.
他曾在县里举办的商品交易会上评判过豕,所以我们就称他为评判员。
Pigs?
你是说猪?
Swine's a little old-fashioned but I prefer it to pigs, and since both words mean the same thing—
“豕”这个字是有点过时了,不过比起“猪”我还是更喜欢它。既然两个字的意思一样,
Well, I wouldn't care to call a man like Arthur Applegarth a pig judge.
我不介意称像亚瑟·阿普尔加思这样的人为猪评判员。
Did he actually judge swine, as you prefer to put it, at a county fair—one time?
他是不是真的在县里举办的一次商品展销会上评判过你所说的豕呢?
Nobody checked up. He said he did.
没有人核实过,是他自己说的。
So that entitled him to be called Judge Applegarth?
他自己这么说,就有资格被人称为阿普尔加思评判员了吗?
It certainly did.
当然。
On that basis, Clay's oyster has a big pearl in it because he says so, is that it?
按此推理,克莱说他的牡蛎里有珍珠,那他的牡蛎里面真的就有珍珠了吗?
I didn't say that.
我没有这么说。
Are we living in the Middle Ages, Mr. Van Dusen?
范杜森先生,我们是生活在中世纪吗?
No, this is 1953, Miss McCutcheon.
不是的,麦卡琴小姐,现在是1953年。
Yes, Greeley, and to illustrate what I mean, that's water you have in that bottle. Nothing else.
是的,格里利,为了说明我的意思,你拿的瓶子里是水,没有别的东西。
Sea water.
是海水。
Yes, but nothing else.
是的,但里面没有别的东西。