No, but there are little things in the bottle. You can't see them now, but they'll show up later. The water of the sea is full of things.
不,水里还有些小东西,现在看不见,以后会显现出来的,海水里有好多东西。
Salt, perhaps.
或许有盐吧。
No, living things. If I look hard I can see some of them now.
不,还有活物呢。要是使劲儿看,我现在就能看见一些。
You can imagine seeing them. Mr. Van Dusen, are you going to help me or not?
你可以想象你能看到。范杜森先生,你打算帮我还是不帮?
What do you want me to do?
你想要我做什么呢?
Open the oyster of course, so Clay will see for himself that there's no pearl in it.
把这只牡蛎打开,让克莱亲眼看到里面没有珍珠。
So he'll begin to face reality, as he should, as all of us should.
这样他就能够面对现实。而这正是他应该做的,也是我们所有人都应该做的。
Clay, do you mind if I look at the oyster a minute?
克莱,让我看看这只牡蛎,行吗?
There's a big pearl in it, Mr. Van Dusen.
这里面一定有颗大珍珠,范杜森先生。
Clay...Roxanna... Greeley... I wonder if you'd go to Wozzeck's.
克莱……洛克莎娜……格里利……你们能不能去一趟沃采克的钟表店,
Tell him to come the first chance he gets. I'd rather he open this oyster. I might damage the pearl.
请他尽快来一趟。我希望由他来打开牡蛎,我怕自己会把珍珠弄坏了。
OK, Mr. Van Dusen. (They go out.)
好的,范杜森先生。(他们走了。)
What pearl? What in the world do you think you're trying to do to the minds of these children?
什么珍珠?你到底要给孩子们灌输什么思想,
How am I ever going to teach them the principles of truth with an influence like yours to fight against?
有你这样的人影响他们,我怎么能教他们学会面对现实?