Passage Nineteen Jane Came Home Too Late
简回家太晚
Jane got home late at night. She was going to knock at the door. Just then it opened.
简在深夜才回家。她正要敲门,门开了。
Her father was standing by the door. He was a tall man with white hair.
她的父亲正站在门旁。他是高个子,头发都白了。
"Come in," he said, "I am getting cold." Jane went in. Her mother was waiting in the room.
“进来吧,”他说,“我都觉得冷了。”简进了家。
Her mother was a short woman. She was sitting on the sofa, and looked pale.
她的母亲正在房间里等她。她母亲个子很小,正坐在沙发上,看上去脸色苍白。
Her father closed the door. "Well," he said, "Where have you been? You promised not to stay out beyond 11 o'clock. It's one o'clock now."
简的父亲把门关上了。“那么,你上哪去了?”父亲闷道,“你答应在外面不超过11点的.现在都1点了。”
"It's only a quarter to one." "That doesn't make any difference. You should have come home earlier," her father replied angrily.
“差一刻钟到1点”。“那没什么差别.你应该早点回家的,”父亲生气的说。
"We've been very worried about you," said her mother.
“我们都非常担心,”母亲说。
"I'm sorry," Jane said. "I was at a party. I didn't notice the time."
“我很抱歉,”简回答,“我参加了一个聚会。我没有注意到时间,”
"You've got a watch," said her father. "Your mother and I have waited for a long time. We didn't know where you were."
“可你戴着手表”,父亲说,“你妈妈和我等了那么长时间。我们不知道你在哪里。”
"I can look after myself," replied Jane, "I'm not a baby any more."
“我可以照顾自己”,简回答道,“我又不是小孩了。”
That is a situation that we often see in our life.
这是在我们生活中经常看到的一个情形。
Please do not let your parents worry about you again!
请不要再让你们的父母为你们担心了!