From my suite of rooms atop the Holiday Inn I surveyed the narrow alleys below me.
从假日饭店顶层的套房里,我俯瞰着下面狭窄的小巷。
Only yesterday had I left my frantic North American life behind, to avail myself of an opportunity to travel to China.
就在昨天,我撇开疯狂的北美生活,利用一个机会到中国旅游。
I wished to spend time researching material for my thesis pertaining to Eastern religions.
我希望把时间花在为我关于东方宗教的论文搜寻材料上。
The hotel was in close proximity to the heart of the old downtown.
饭店非常接近旧城的中心地带。
Innumerable activities were happening below me. People surged along the street sometimes stopping to bargain with street vendors.
下面的街道上熙熙攘攘。人们在街上涌动着,有时停下来跟街上的小贩们讨价还价。
Cucumbers, tomatoes, apples, oranges and grapes were heaped on hand carts.
黄瓜、西红柿、苹果、柑橘和葡萄堆在手推车上。
The variety of fruit available provided a virtual feast for the eyes.
各种各样的好吃的水果让人大饱眼褔。
Deliverymen jogged along pulling enormous loads of cardboard.
送货人拉着一大车纸板蹒跚前进。
To a Westerner's eyes cars merged unbelievably without incident.
在一个西方人看来,汽车挤在一起而平安无事实在令人不可思议。
It appeared to be a dubious process to negotiate the traffic and even cross the street.
汽车要行驶,甚至人要横过街道,看来是不太可能的事情。
However, rather than lounging indoors, I decided to venture outside to explore the colorful world below.
尽管如此,与其在房间里消磨时间,我还是决定不如冒险出去,到下面丰富多彩的世界里去探个究竟。
I was interested in locating a church to attend, as today was Sunday.
我想找一个教堂,因为今天是星期天。
On the street I made tentative enquiries about locating a Christian chapel.
在街上,我试着询问怎样到基督教礼拜堂。
At times the congestion of people hampered my progress. Stares from passers-by made me feel conspicuous.
不时,拥挤的人群会妨碍前进。行人注视我的眼神使我觉得自己有些惹人注目。
The weather was hot and humid and there was some possibility of a typhoon reaching the city later in the day.
天气又热又潮,这天晚些时候可能会有台风光顾这个城市。
After several false leads I found myself standing in front of a very old Christian Church, established by missionaries during the last dynasty and at the beginning of the last century.
在几次错误的指路后,我终于来到了一个很旧的基督教堂,它是在上个世纪初,中国最后一个王朝时期由传教士修建的。
With the onset of a light sprinkle, I made a hasty retreat to shelter in the doorway of the church.
开始下小雨了,我急忙退到教堂门口躲避。
The familiar refrain of well-known hymns rang out within the church.
一首有名的赞美诗熟悉的旋律在教堂里回响。
I felt drawn inside to join the fellowship in a foreign land.
我不由自主地进去,加入到这个外国土地上的团体里。
Even though our languages differed, my gracious hosts nonetheless, made room for me, and made me feel welcome.
尽管我们的语言不通,客气的主人为我腾出地方,使我觉得自己是受欢迎的。