People talk a lot about the health benefits of individual foods.
人们经常会谈论某种食物对健康的益处。
I hear a lot about blueberries.
我听说过很多关于蓝莓的说法。
They’re supposed to be filled with antioxidants that stop cell damage, for instance.
比如,它们含有能够阻止细胞损伤的抗氧化剂。
You got one, Tanya?
你有听说过什么吗,坦尼娅?
Yeah, kale! It’s a superfood, or so they say.
有,羽衣甘蓝!说它是一种超级食品,至少大家是这么说的。
It packs a ton of vitamin K and vitamin C.
它含有大量的维生素K和维生素C。
Okay, I confess, I know very little about kale and have no idea how I would eat it.
好吧,我承认,我对羽衣甘蓝知之甚少,也不知道要怎么吃它。
Well, I actually know a pretty good recipe for massaged kale salad.
其实我知道一个做按摩羽衣甘蓝沙拉的好食谱。
Massaged?
按摩?
Yeah, you just take raw kale and rinse it, and then you add lemon juice and olive oil and salt and pepper and just, you know, massage it until it tenderizes into a nice salad.
对,你只需将生的羽衣甘蓝洗净,然后加入柠檬汁、橄榄油、盐和胡椒,然后按摩,直到它变软,成为一道美味的沙拉。
Cool, I’ll totally take your word for that.
太好了,我完全相信你说的。
The other food I was thinking about was my grandmother’s chicken soup.
我想到的另一种食物是我奶奶做的鸡汤。
It was supposed to be a cold remedy.
它本来是用来治疗感冒的。
Actually, it was supposed to be a remedy for just about anything in my family.
其实,在我家,它好像能包治百病。
That sounds tasty.
听起来很美味。
While we’re at it, I believe that chocolate croissants are scientifically proven to be good for the soul.
说到这里,我相信经过科学证明的巧克力牛角面包对心灵有益。
But don’t fact-check me on that.
但可不要在这件事上跟我来事实核查。
Oh, no fact-checking here!
哦,这里没有事实核查这回事!
Debates about the health values of specific foods go back and forth anyway, and you’re probably tired of the whiplash.
无论如何,人们关于某种食物所蕴含的健康价值的争论总是反反复复,你可能已经厌倦了这种较量。
So today we are not going to talk about blueberries or broccoli or chocolate croissants by themselves.
所以,今天我们不会单独讨论蓝莓、西兰花或巧克力牛角面包。
We’re going to talk about a trend in medicine in which doctors prescribe healthy food, like bags of fresh produce, just like they’d prescribe blood pressure medication.
我们要讨论的是医学上的一种趋势,即医生开出的健康食品处方,比如一袋新鲜的农产品,就像开降压药一样。
And a colleague of ours just wrote a news article about this “food-is-medicine” movement in the journal JAMA.
我们的一位同事刚刚在《美国医学会杂志》上写了一篇关于“食物就是药物”运动的新闻文章。
What “food-is-medicine” is, what makes it distinctive, is it is getting people healthy food or groceries that will create healthy food with the explicit involvement of the healthcare system.
“食物就是药物”,它的独特之处在于,它是在有医疗保健系统的明确参与下,为人们提供健康食品或杂货,从而创造出健康的食品。
So prescribing medically tailored meals or prescribing groceries or actually giving people prescriptions to go and get produce for free.
也就是给出医学上量身定做的食物或杂货处方,或者给人们开出免费获取农产品的处方。
That’s Maryn McKenna.
那是玛丽恩·麦肯纳。
I am a journalist, I focus on science and public health.
我是一名记者,关注的是科学和公共卫生。
I'm the author of a couple of books and a science writing professor and a contributing editor at Scientific American.
我出过几本书,也是科学写作教授和科学美国人的特约编辑。
It's great to have you here, Maryn.
很高兴你能来参加节目,玛丽恩。
Happy to be here.
很高兴能来到这里。
Now, can you tell us how a food-is-medicine program works?
现在,你能告诉我们“食物就是药物”的计划是如何运作的吗?
In what I think is the most interesting example, there's a very famous physician in Michigan; her name is Mona Hanna-Attisha.
在我认为最有趣的一个例子中,有一位密歇根州非常著名的医生;她叫莫娜·汉娜-阿提莎。
We know that name because Hanna-Attisha is the pediatrician who helped expose the high levels of lead in Flint, Michigan’s drinking water a decade ago—levels that were really toxic.
我们之所以知道这个名字,是因为汉娜-阿提莎是一名儿科医生,十年前,她帮助曝光了密歇根州弗林特市饮用水中的高铅含量--这些含量达到了有毒的程度。
But she also is an activist for children's nutrition.
但她也是儿童营养方面的活动家。
And since 2015, through her own pediatric clinic, which is part of Michigan State University's College of Medicine, she has been writing produce prescriptions for a farmer's market that was in the same building as her pediatric clinic.
自2015年以来,通过她自己的儿科诊所--密歇根州立大学医学院的一部分--她一直在为与她的儿科诊所位于同一栋楼的一个农贸市场开具农产品处方。
In fact, Hanna-Attisha moved her office above the market to make it easier for patients to get their food.
事实上,汉娜-阿提莎将她的办公室搬到了市场上层,让患者更容易获得食物。
She moved into the second story of a freestanding brick-and-mortar permanent farmer’s market in downtown Flint, Michigan.
她搬进了密歇根州弗林特市中心一座独立的实体农贸市场的二楼。
And for every child who came into that clinic, she gave that child's family initially a $5 voucher for produce downstairs; it's now $15, and they've expanded to a couple of different sites.
对于每个来到诊所的孩子,她最初会给孩子一家一张5美元的楼下市场农产品代金券;现在会给15美元,而且已经扩大到了几个不同的地点。
Sounds like a really clever idea.
听起来真是个聪明的主意。
Has it actually made people healthier, though?
不过,这种做法真的让人们更健康了吗?
Well, it’s certainly improved the kids’ nutrition.
嗯,它确实改善了孩子们的营养。
The Flint program has written 55,000 prescriptions for this food and given out the vouchers.
弗林特项目已经开具了5.5万张处方这种食物处方,并发放了代金券。
Now, the amount of fruits and vegetables and fiber and whole grains and dairy that the children ate went up—though it’s still not at the levels of federal nutrition guidelines, Maryn says.
玛丽恩说,现在,孩子们吃的水果、蔬菜、纤维、全谷物和乳制品的数量有所增加,虽然还没有达到联邦营养指南建议的水平。