手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 在线广播 > VOA慢速英语 > VOA慢速-词汇掌故 > 正文

"have a monkey on your back"是什么意思?

来源:可可英语 编辑:Magi   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
  
  • And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.
  • 欢迎收听VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。
  • Today we talk about an expression, or idiom, involving an animal – a monkey to be exact.
  • 今天我们谈论一个涉及一种动物——确切地说是猴子——的习语。
  • Monkeys are intelligent animals, and they often do funny things.
  • 猴子是聪明的动物,它们经常做有趣的事情。
  • So, the English language has some monkey expressions that describe a fun situation.
  • 所以,英语中有一些有关猴子的短语是用来描述有趣的情况的。
  • For example, to monkey around means to do things that are not useful or serious.
  • 例如,monkey around(胡闹,捣蛋)的意思是做一些无用或不严肃的事情。
  • And if something is more fun than a barrel of monkeys, it is very fun!
  • 如果某件事比“一桶猴子”更有趣,那这件事就太有趣了!
  • But what if you had to carry a monkey around with you every minute of every day ... on your back?
  • 但如果你每天每时每刻都背着一只猴子走来走去……会怎么样呢?
  • That may not be so fun.
  • 那可能就没那么有趣了。
  • And that brings us to today’s expression – to have a monkey on your back.
  • 这就引出了今天的短语——to have a monkey on your back(压力山大;重担在肩)。
  • If you have a monkey on your back, you have a problem that cannot be easily solved.
  • have a monkey on your back的意思是你有一个不容易解决的问题。
  • And you possibly have had that problem for a long time.
  • 你可能已经有这个问题很长一段时间了。
  • To have a monkey on your back can also mean to carry a great emotional weight.
  • have a monkey on your back也可以表示承受巨大的情感负担。
  • This weight comes from a bad decision or perhaps a feeling that you have done something wrong.
  • 这种重量来自一个错误的决定,或者可能来自你做错了某件事后的感觉。
  • But the expression is used in more situations than that.
  • 但这个短语可以在更多的情况下使用。
  • It is often used to describe a serious problem, worry, or concern that makes life difficult or unpleasant.
  • 它经常被用来描述使生活变得困难或不愉快的严重的问题或担忧。
  • Sometimes we use this idiom to describe a situation that is not our fault.
  • 有时我们用这个习语来形容一种不是我们的错的情况。
  • It could be a hardship or condition from which we suffer.
  • 这可能是一种困难,即我们所遭遇的境况。
  • Here are some examples.
  • 下面是一些例子。
  • A man grew up in extreme poverty.
  • 一个人在极端贫困的环境中长大。
  • For a time, it was a monkey on his back.
  • 有一段时间,他压力山大。
  • But getting a good education was the first step to getting the monkey off his back.
  • 但是,接受良好的教育是让他摆脱困境的第一步。
  • If a woman has a gambling, alcohol, or drug addiction, we could say she has a monkey on her back.
  • 如果一个女人有赌瘾、酒瘾或毒瘾,我们可以说她赌瘾/酒瘾/毒瘾缠身。
  • It could last for many years or even a lifetime.
  • 它可能会持续很多年,甚至一辈子。
  • However, if she could solve or end the problem, we could say she finally got the monkey off her back!
  • 然而,如果她能解决这个问题,我们可以说她终于摆脱了困境!
  • There is another expression that also means having a monkey on your back.
  • 还有另一个短语,意思和“have a monkey on your back(压力山大;重担在肩)一样”。
  • That expression is a millstone around someone’s neck.
  • 这个短语是a millstone around someone’s neck。
  • A millstone is a very large, heavy stone used for grinding things such as grain or corn.
  • 磨石是一种非常大、很重的石头,用于研磨谷物或玉米等东西。
  • It crushes things easily.
  • 它很容易把东西压碎。
  • So, we also use the word millstone to describe a serious responsibility, problem, or concern.
  • 因此,我们也用“磨石”来形容严重的责任、问题或担忧。
  • For example, student debt is a millstone for many young people.
  • 例如,学生债务对许多年轻人来说是一个沉重的负担。
  • We could also say the debt is a millstone around their necks or a monkey on their backs.
  • 我们也可以说,债务让他们不堪重负。
  • And that’s all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories! Until next time … I’m Anna Matteo.
  • 以上就是本期《词汇掌故》节目的全部内容。下次见。我是安娜·马特奥。


扫描二维码进行跟读打分训练

And now, Words and Their Stories, from VOA Learning English.

欢迎收听VOA慢速英语《词汇掌故》节目。

Today we talk about an expression, or idiom, involving an animala monkey to be exact.

今天我们谈论一个涉及一种动物——确切地说是猴子——的习语。

Monkeys are intelligent animals, and they often do funny things.

猴子是聪明的动物,它们经常做有趣的事情。

So, the English language has some monkey expressions that describe a fun situation.

所以,英语中有一些有关猴子的短语是用来描述有趣的情况的。

For example, to monkey around means to do things that are not useful or serious.

例如,monkey around(胡闹,捣蛋)的意思是做一些无用或不严肃的事情。

And if something is more fun than a barrel of monkeys, it is very fun!

如果某件事比“一桶猴子”更有趣,那这件事就太有趣了!

But what if you had to carry a monkey around with you every minute of every day ... on your back?

但如果你每天每时每刻都背着一只猴子走来走去……会怎么样呢?

That may not be so fun.

那可能就没那么有趣了。

And that brings us to todays expressionto have a monkey on your back.

这就引出了今天的短语——to have a monkey on your back(压力山大;重担在肩)。

If you have a monkey on your back, you have a problem that cannot be easily solved.

have a monkey on your back的意思是你有一个不容易解决的问题。

And you possibly have had that problem for a long time.

你可能已经有这个问题很长一段时间了。

To have a monkey on your back can also mean to carry a great emotional weight.

have a monkey on your back也可以表示承受巨大的情感负担。

This weight comes from a bad decision or perhaps a feeling that you have done something wrong.

这种重量来自一个错误的决定,或者可能来自你做错了某件事后的感觉。

But the expression is used in more situations than that.

但这个短语可以在更多的情况下使用。

It is often used to describe a serious problem, worry, or concern that makes life difficult or unpleasant.

它经常被用来描述使生活变得困难或不愉快的严重的问题或担忧。

Sometimes we use this idiom to describe a situation that is not our fault.

有时我们用这个习语来形容一种不是我们的错的情况。

It could be a hardship or condition from which we suffer.

这可能是一种困难,即我们所遭遇的境况。

Here are some examples.

下面是一些例子。

A man grew up in extreme poverty.

一个人在极端贫困的环境中长大。

For a time, it was a monkey on his back.

有一段时间,他压力山大。

But getting a good education was the first step to getting the monkey off his back.

但是,接受良好的教育是让他摆脱困境的第一步。

If a woman has a gambling, alcohol, or drug addiction, we could say she has a monkey on her back.

如果一个女人有赌瘾、酒瘾或毒瘾,我们可以说她赌瘾/酒瘾/毒瘾缠身。

It could last for many years or even a lifetime.

它可能会持续很多年,甚至一辈子。

However, if she could solve or end the problem, we could say she finally got the monkey off her back!

然而,如果她能解决这个问题,我们可以说她终于摆脱了困境!

There is another expression that also means having a monkey on your back.

还有另一个短语,意思和“have a monkey on your back(压力山大;重担在肩)一样”。

That expression is a millstone around someones neck.

这个短语是a millstone around someones neck

A millstone is a very large, heavy stone used for grinding things such as grain or corn.

磨石是一种非常大、很重的石头,用于研磨谷物或玉米等东西。

It crushes things easily.

它很容易把东西压碎。

So, we also use the word millstone to describe a serious responsibility, problem, or concern.

因此,我们也用“磨石”来形容严重的责任、问题或担忧。

For example, student debt is a millstone for many young people.

例如,学生债务对许多年轻人来说是一个沉重的负担。

We could also say the debt is a millstone around their necks or a monkey on their backs.

我们也可以说,债务让他们不堪重负。

And thats all the time we have for this Words and Their Stories! Until next timeIm Anna Matteo.

以上就是本期《词汇掌故》节目的全部内容。下次见。我是安娜·马特奥。

译文为可可英语翻译,未经授权请勿转载!

重点单词   查看全部解释    
poverty ['pɔvəti]

想一想再看

n. 贫困,贫乏

 
describe [dis'kraib]

想一想再看

vt. 描述,画(尤指几何图形),说成

联想记忆
unpleasant [ʌn'pleznt]

想一想再看

adj. 使人不愉快的,讨厌的

 
corn [kɔ:n]

想一想再看

n. 谷物,小麦,玉米
v. 形成(颗粒状),

 
solve [sɔlv]

想一想再看

v. 解决,解答

 
intelligent [in'telidʒənt]

想一想再看

adj. 聪明的,智能的

 
fault [fɔ:lt]

想一想再看

n. 缺点,过失,故障,毛病,过错,[地]断层

 
extreme [ik'stri:m]

想一想再看

adj. 极度的,极端的
n. 极端,极限

 
decision [di'siʒən]

想一想再看

n. 决定,决策

 
emotional [i'məuʃənl]

想一想再看

adj. 感情的,情绪的

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。