OK, I’ll just explain some words that are in today’s story.
好的,我来解释一下今天故事中的几个单词。
Freeze, and the past tense is froze, is what happens when something goes very cold.
Freeze,过去时是froze,是东西变得非常冷的时候会发生的事。
When water gets very cold, it freezes and becomes ice.
当水变得非常冷的时候,它就会结冰,变成冰。
If a river or a lake freezes, you can walk on it.
如果一条河或湖结冰了,你可以在上面行走。
If the weather is very cold outside, you can say, ‘It’s freezing!’
如果外面天气很冷,你可以说,‘太冷了!’
If you are moving and then you suddenly stop moving, you freeze.
如果你本来在移动,然后突然停止了移动,你就是僵住了。
For example, when the police want to catch someone, they say, ‘Freeze! It’s the police!’
例如,警察要抓人的时候,会说,‘不许动!警察!’
In your kitchen, you might have a freezer.
你的厨房里可能会有freezer。
Freezers are big white boxes that you put food in.
冰柜是指大大的白色柜体,你可以把食物放进去。
Freezers are colder than a fridge, so when you put food inside a freezer, it freezes!
冰柜比冰箱冷,所以你把食物放进冰柜时,它就会结冰!
For example, you can put ice in a freezer, ice cream, frozen vegetables and so on.
例如,你可以把冰、冰激凌、冷冻蔬菜等等放进冰柜。
It is very common to have frozen peas and frozen carrots in your freezer, for example, because you can keep them for a long time.
例如,冷冻豌豆和冷冻胡萝卜在冰柜里很常见,因为它们可以保存很长时间。
Your cheeks are the parts of your face between your mouth and your ears.
cheeks是位于嘴巴和耳朵之间的脸部。
In some European cultures, people kiss each other on the cheek to say hello.
在某些欧洲文化中,人们打招呼的时候会互相亲吻脸颊。
In some places, you kiss people on the cheek multiple times, and you change cheek each time.
在一些地方,你要多次亲吻别人的脸颊,每次都要改变脸颊。
This can get confusing.
这可能会让人困惑。
In some parts of France, people kiss three times on the cheek, in some parts they kiss four times, and there are even places where you kiss people five times on the cheek to say hello!
在法国的一些地方,人们会在脸颊上亲吻三次,在一些地方,他们会亲吻四次,甚至在有些地方,你需要亲吻别人的脸颊五次,以示问候!
To pick at something means to pull small pieces off something.
pick at某件事是指从某样东西上拽下小块儿。
For example, if you have a plate of food in front of you but you’re not hungry, you might pick at it.
例如,如果你面前有盘食物,但你并不饿,你可能会挑来拣去。
You would only eat small bits of food.
你只会吃一点点。
Some people pick at their skin when they get anxious.
有些人在焦虑时会拽自己的皮肤。
They pull off bits of skin until it goes red.
他们会一点点揪自己的皮肤,直到它变红。
When picking at your skin becomes a serious health problem, it’s called dermatillomania.
如果你过度揪自己的皮肤,产生严重的健康问题,这被称为皮肤病。
Kid is an informal word for ‘child’.
Kid是‘孩子’的非正式称呼。
A phrase that old people often say is, ‘Kids these days…’
老人们常说的一句话是:‘现在的娃子们…’
To be honest, in everyday life, we usually say ‘my kids’ instead of ‘my children’, for example.
说实话,比如,在日常生活中,我们通常说‘我的娃子’而不是‘我的孩子’。
A nightmare is a bad dream.
nightmare就是不好的梦。
If a nightmare is really scary, you might wake up from it.
如果噩梦真的很可怕,你可能会从噩梦中醒来。
If you’re having a really bad nightmare, it can feel better to wake up.
如果你做了非常糟糕的噩梦,醒来感觉会好一些。
Gooseberries are a type of fruit.
Gooseberries是一种水果。
Gooseberries are small, green berries that have little hairs on them.
醋栗是一种小的绿色浆果,上面毛很少。
Gooseberries are very sour, so usually people make jam with them, and they add lots of sugar.
醋栗很酸,所以人们通常用它们做果酱,还会加很多糖。
There is also a popular dessert called gooseberry fool, which is a bit like a yoghurt or a mousse.
还有一种很受欢迎的甜点叫醋栗泥,有点像酸奶或慕斯。
By the sea, there are sometimes very high rocks, and these are called cliffs.
在海边,有时会有很高的岩石,这些岩石被称为cliffs。
If you fall off a cliff, you will fall a very long way.
如果你从悬崖上掉下来,会滚很远。
Not all cliffs are above the sea – mountains often have many cliffs.
并不是所有悬崖都在海岸上--山上往往也有很多悬崖。
There are famous chalk cliffs in England called the White Cliffs of Dover.
英国有著名的白垩崖,叫多佛白崖。
Sober means not drunk.
Sober的意思是没有喝醉。
When someone is drunk and does things to become sober, they sober up.
如果有人喝醉了,做了些事让自己清醒,他们就会清醒过来。
For example, you might drink water and eat food with lots of carbohydrates to sober up.
例如,你可以喝水,吃含有大量碳水化合物的食物来醒酒。
If someone drinks alcohol all the time, and it causes problems in their life, then they are an alcoholic.
如果一个人一直喝酒,给他们的生活带来问题,那他就是个酒鬼。
If an alcoholic says, ‘I’ve sobered up,’ it usually means that they have stopped drinking completely.
如果一个酗酒者说,‘我已经清醒了’,这通常意味着他们已经完全戒酒了。
There is an organisation called Alcoholics Anonymous which helps alcoholics stop drinking and sober up.
有一个名为“戒酒互助会”的组织专门帮助酗酒者戒酒。
Alcoholics Anonymous is often shortened to ‘AA’.
“戒酒互助会”通常被缩写为‘AA’。
So when someone talks about going to an ‘AA meeting’, this is probably what they are talking about.
所以,如果有人说要去参加“AA会议”的话,他们可能说的就是这件事。
When you weigh something, you see how heavy or light it is.
你weigh某个东西,指的是你要看看它的重量。
For example, you might weigh your suitcase.
例如,你可能会称一下行李箱的重量。
If your suitcase weighs less than 20kg, you can take it on the plane, but if it weighs more, you can’t!
如果你的行李箱重量不到20公斤,你就可以把它带上飞机,但如果它超过20公斤了,就不能带上飞机!
When you weigh something up, you consider the advantages and disadvantages of something.
当你weigh某事时,是指你要考虑某件事的优点和缺点。
For example, maybe you’re trying to decide whether to go on holiday to London or Berlin.
例如,也许你正在决定是去伦敦还是去柏林度假。
You weigh up the advantages and disadvantages of each.
你要权衡每种方案的优缺点。
Maybe you decide that London has great history, but Berlin has a great nightlife, and that these are the two priorities for you.
也许你认为伦敦有很棒的历史,但柏林有很棒的夜生活,这两点对你来说是优先事项。
So you have to weigh London’s history against Berlin’s nightlife – you compare the two to make this difficult decision.
那你就必须权衡伦敦的历史和柏林的夜生活--你把两者进行比较,才能做出这个艰难的决定。
Although, of course, I would say you should come to London because I love London, so…
当然,我会建议你来伦敦,因为我喜欢伦敦,所以…
A big theme in today’s story is parallel universes.
今天故事的重要主题是平行宇宙。
‘Parallel’ is when two lines run next to each other, but they never meet, they never touch.
‘Parallel’是指两条线并排运行,但它们从未相遇时,也永远不会接触。
So parallel universes is the idea that there are different universes, different worlds, where everything is the same except for a few small things.
平行宇宙是指有不同的宇宙,不同的世界,除了一些小细节外,一切都是一样的。
There are many films about travelling through parallel universes, where the characters can see what would happen if they had made a different decision.
有许多关于穿越平行宇宙的电影,在这些电影中,角色可以看到如果他们做出了不同的决定会发生什么。
For example, the film Everything Everywhere All at Once is about parallel universes.
例如,电影《瞬息全宇宙》就是关于平行宇宙的。
Parallel universes are sometimes called ‘mirror worlds’.
平行宇宙有时被称为“镜像世界”。
In this story, I call them mirror worlds.
在这个故事中,我称它们为镜像世界。
They are like the world and the reflection of the world is in the mirror.
它们就像世界,而世界的倒影就在镜子里。
But of course, at least one thing is different, which I guess means it’s not really a mirror and a reflection, because a reflection is exactly the same.
但当然,至少有一件事是不同的,我想这说明它不是真正的镜子和倒影,因为倒影是完全相同的。
Maybe the mirror is dirty, and that’s why it’s not a perfect reflection.
也许是因为镜子很脏,无法映射出完美的倒影。
Anyway, enough about that! Listen and enjoy.
好了,说的够多了!请欣赏故事吧!