"Well, there are plenty of us about. You won't find the order more flourishing anywhere in the States than right here in Vermissa Valley.
"好,附近我们有很多人。你会看到,在维尔米萨山谷,本会势力雄厚,这是美国任何地方也比不上的。
But we could do with some lads like you. I can't understand a spry man of the union finding no work to do in Chicago."
可是我们要有许多象你这样的小伙子才成。我真不明白像你这样生气勃勃的工会会员,为什么在芝加哥找不到工作。"
"I found plenty of work to do," said McMurdo.
"我找到过很多工作呢,"麦克默多说道。
"Then why did you leave?"
"那你为什么离开呢?"
McMurdo nodded towards the policemen and smiled. "I guess those chaps would be glad to know," he said.
麦克默多向警察那面点头示意并且笑了笑,说道:"我想这些家伙知道了是会很高兴的。"
Scanlan groaned sympathetically. "In trouble?" he asked in a whisper.
斯坎伦同情地哼了一声。"有什么麻烦事吗?"他低声问道。
"Deep."
"很麻烦。"
"A penitentiary job?"
"是犯罪行为吗?"
"And the rest."
"还有其他方面的。"
"Not a killing!"
"不是杀人吧?"
"It's early days to talk of such things," said McMurdo with the air of a man who had been surprised into saying more than he intended.
"谈这样的事还太早,"麦克默多说道,现出因说过了头而吃惊的样子。
"I've my own good reasons for leaving Chicago, and let that be enough for you. Who are you that you should take it on yourself to ask such things?"
"我离开芝加哥有我自己的充分理由,你就不要多管了。你是什么人?怎么可以对这种事问个不休呢?"
His gray eyes gleamed with sudden and dangerous anger from behind his glasses.
麦克默多灰色的双眸透过眼镜突然露出气愤的凶光。
"All right, mate, no offense meant. The boys will think none the worse of you, whatever you may have done. Where are you bound for now?"
"好了,老兄。请不要见怪。人们不会以为你做过什么坏事的。你现在要到哪儿去?"
"Vermissa."
"到维尔米萨。"
"That's the third halt down the line. Where are you staying?"
"第三站就到了。你准备住在哪里?"
McMurdo took out an envelope and held it close to the murky oil lamp.
麦克默多掏出一个信封来,把它凑近昏暗的油灯旁。
"Here is the address -- Jacob Shafter, Sheridan Street. It's a boarding house that was recommended by a man I knew in Chicago."
"这就是地址--谢里登街,雅各布·谢夫特。这是我在芝加哥认识的一个人介绍给我的一家公寓。"
"Well, I don't know it; but Vermissa is out of my beat. I live at Hobson's Patch, and that's here where we are drawing up.
"噢,我不知道这个公寓,我对维尔米萨不太熟悉。我住在霍布森领地,现在就要到了。
But, say, there's one bit of advice I'll give you before we part:
不过,在我们分手以前,我要奉告你一句话。
If you're in trouble in Vermissa, go straight to the Union House and see Boss McGinty.
如果你在维尔米萨遇到困难,你就直接到工会去找首领麦金蒂。
He is the Bodymaster of Vermissa Lodge, and nothing can happen in these parts unless Black Jack McGinty wants it.
他是维尔米萨分会的身主,在此地,没有布莱克·杰克·麦金蒂的许可,是不会出什么事的。
So long, mate! Maybe we'll meet in lodge one of these evenings. But mind my words: If you are in trouble, go to Boss McGinty."
再见,老弟,或许我们有一天晚上能够在分会里见面。不过请记住我的话:如果你一旦遇到困难,就去找首领麦金蒂。"
Scanlan descended, and McMurdo was left once again to his thoughts.
斯坎伦下车了,麦克默多又重新陷入沉思。