The young traveller gazed out into this dismal country with a face of mingled repulsion and interest, which showed that the scene was new to him.
年轻的旅客眺望着这小城镇的凄凉景象,脸上现出不快和好奇的样子,说明这地方对他还很陌生。
At intervals he drew from his pocket a bulky letter to which he referred, and on the margins of which he scribbled some notes.
他不时从口袋中掏出一封信来,看看它,在信的空白处潦草地写下一些字。
Once from the back of his waist he produced something which one would hardly have expected to find in the possession of so mild-mannered a man.
有一次他从身后掏出一样东西,很难使人相信这是象他那样温文尔雅的人所有的。
It was a navy revolver of the largest size.
那是一支最大号的海军用左轮手枪。
As he turned it slantwise to the light, the glint upon the rims of the copper shells within the drum showed that it was fully loaded.
在他把手枪侧向灯光时,弹轮上的铜弹闪闪发光,表明枪内装满了子弹。
He quickly restored it to his secret pocket, but not before it had been observed by a working man who had seated himself upon the adjoining bench.
他很快把枪放回口袋里,但已被一个邻座的工人看到了。
"Hullo, mate!" said he. "You seem heeled and ready."
"喂,老兄,"这个工人说道,"你好像有所戒备啊。"
The young man smiled with an air of embarrassment. "Yes," said he, "we need them sometimes in the place I come from."
年轻人不自然地笑了笑。"是啊,"他说道,"在我来的那地方,有时我们需要用它。"
"And where may that be?"
"那是什么地方呢?"
"I'm last from Chicago."
"我刚从芝加哥来。"
"A stranger in these parts?"
"你对此地还不熟悉吧?"
"Yes."
"是的。"
"You may find you need it here," said the workman.
"你会发现在这里也用得着它,"这个工人说道。
"Ah! is that so?" The young man seemed interested.
"啊!果真么?"年轻人似乎很关心地问道。
"Have you heard nothing of doings hereabouts?"
"你没听说这附近出过事么?"
"Nothing out of the way."
"没有听到有什么不正常的事。"
"Why, I thought the country was full of it. You'll hear quick enough. What made you come here?"
"嗨!这里出的事多极了,用不多时你就会听个够。你为啥事到这里来的?"
"I heard there was always work for a willing man."
"我听说这里愿意干活儿的人总是找得到活儿干。"
"Are you a member of the union?"
"你是工会里的人么?"
"Sure."
"当然了。"
"Then you'll get your job, I guess. Have you any friends?"
"我想,那你也会有活儿干的。你有朋友吗?"
"Not yet; but I have the means of making them."
"还没有,不过我是有办法交朋友的。"
"How's that, then?"
"怎么个交法呢?"
"I am one of the Eminent Order of Freemen. There's no town without a lodge, and where there is a lodge I'll find my friends."
"我是自由人会的会员,没有一个城镇没有它的分会,只要有分会我就有朋友可交。"
The remark had a singular effect upon his companion. He glanced round suspiciously at the others in the car.
这一席话对对方产生了异常作用,那工人疑虑地向车上其他人扫视了一眼。
The miners were still whispering among themselves. The two police officers were dozing.
矿工们仍在低声交谈,两个警察正在打盹。
He came across, seated himself close to the young traveller, and held out his hand. "Put it there," he said.
他走过来,紧挨年轻旅客坐下,伸出手来,说道:"把手伸过来。"
A hand-grip passed between the two.
两个人握了握手对暗号。
"I see you speak the truth," said the workman. "But it's well to make certain."
"我看出你说的是真话。不过还是要弄清楚些好。"
He raised his right hand to his right eyebrow. The traveller at once raised his left hand to his left eyebrow.
他举起右手,放到他的右眉边。年轻人立刻举起左手,放到左眉边。
"Dark nights are unpleasant," said the workman.
"黑夜是不愉快的,"这个工人说道。
"Yes, for strangers to travel," the other answered.
"对旅行的异乡人,黑夜是不愉快的,"另一个人回答说。
"That's good enough. I'm Brother Scanlan, Lodge 341, Vermissa Valley. Glad to see you in these parts."
"太好了。我是维尔米萨山谷三四一分会的斯坎伦兄弟。很高兴在此地见到你。"
"Thank you. I'm Brother John McMurdo, Lodge 29, Chicago. Bodymaster J. H. Scott. But I am in luck to meet a brother so early."
"谢谢你。我是芝加哥二十九分会的约翰·麦克默多兄弟。身主J. H.斯科特。不过我很幸运,这么快就遇到了一个弟兄。"