Holmes had sat intently observant during this long discussion, missing no word that was said,
在整个漫长的讨论过程里,福尔摩斯都坐在那儿聚精会神地倾听着,不放过他们所说的每一个字眼儿,
with his keen eyes darting to right and to left, and his forehead wrinkled with speculation.
他那一双敏锐的眼睛东看看,西瞧瞧,双眉紧蹙,沉思不语。
"I should like a few more facts before I get so far as a theory, Mr. Mac," said he, kneeling down beside the body.
"麦克先生,我想再找些事实,然后才能进行推论,"福尔摩斯跪到死尸旁边,说道。
"Dear me! These injuries are really appalling. Can we have the butler in for a moment?
"哎呀!这伤处确实骇人。能不能把管家找来一下?
Ames, I understand that you have often seen this very unusual mark -- a branded triangle inside a circle -- upon Mr. Douglas's forearm?"
艾姆斯,我听说你常看到道格拉斯先生前臂上有一个奇怪的标记,一个圆圈里套着三角形的烙印,对吗?"
"Frequently, sir."
"先生,我经常看到。"
"You never heard any speculation as to what it meant?"
"你从未听说有人推测过这个烙印的意思吗?"
"No, sir."
"没听说过,先生。"
"It must have caused great pain when it was inflicted. It is undoubtedly a burn.
"这一定是火烙的标记,烙的时候,一定要受很大痛苦。
Now, I observe, Ames, that there is a small piece of plaster at the angle of Mr. Douglas's jaw. Did you observe that in life?"
艾姆斯,我注意到道格拉斯先生下巴后部有一小块药膏。在他活着的时候,你注意到了吗?"
"Yes, sir, he cut himself in shaving yesterday morning."
"是的,先生,他昨天早晨刮脸时刮破的。"
"Did you ever know him to cut himself in shaving before?"
"以前你见过他刮破脸吗?"
"Not for a very long time, sir."
"先生,很久没有见过了。"
"Suggestive!" said Holmes.
福尔摩斯说道:"这倒值得研究!
"It may, of course, be a mere coincidence, or it may point to some nervousness which would indicate that he had reason to apprehend danger.
当然,这也可能是巧合,然而,这也可能说明他有点紧张,说明他预知有危险存在。
Had you noticed anything unusual in his conduct, yesterday, Ames?"
艾姆斯,昨天你发现主人有反常情况吗?"
"It struck me that he was a little restless and excited, sir."
"先生,我有一种感觉,他好像有点坐立不安,情绪激动。"
"Ha! The attack may not have been entirely unexpected. We do seem to make a little progress, do we not? Perhaps you would rather do the questioning, Mr. Mac?"
"哈!看来这次袭击不是完全意料不到的。我们已经有些进展了,对吗?麦克先生,或许你还有些什么问题?"
"No, Mr. Holmes, it's in better hands than mine."
"没有,福尔摩斯先生,你到底是个经验丰富的人。"
"Well, then, we will pass to this card -- V. V. 341. It is rough cardboard. Have you any of the sort in the house?"
"好,那么我们可以研究这张写着'V. V. 341'的卡片了。这是一张粗纸硬卡片。在你们庄园里有这样的卡片吗?"
"I don't think so."
"我想没有。"
Holmes walked across to the desk and dabbed a little ink from each bottle on to the blotting paper.
福尔摩斯走到写字台前,从每一个墨水瓶里蘸些墨水洒到吸墨纸上。
"It was not printed in this room," he said; "this is black ink and the other purplish. It was done by a thick pen, and these are fine.
"这张卡片不是在这里写的,"福尔摩斯说道,"这是黑墨水,而那张卡片上的字却略带紫色。写时用的是粗笔尖,而这些笔尖都是细的。
No, it was done elsewhere, I should say. Can you make anything of the inscription, Ames?"
我认为,这是在别的地方写的。艾姆斯,你能解释这上面的字义吗?"
"No, sir, nothing."
"不能,先生,一点也不能解释。"
"What do you think, Mr. Mac?"
"麦克先生,你的意见呢?"
"It gives me the impression of a secret society of some sort; the same with his badge upon the forearm."
"我觉得像是某种秘密团体的名称,和前臂上标记的意义一样。"
"That's my idea, too," said White Mason.
"我也是这样想的,"怀特·梅森说道。