Archer looked at her glowingly.
阿切尔满面红光地望着她。
"Dear and great angel! Of course I'll tell her."
“我亲爱的天使!我当然要告诉她的。”
He glanced a trifle apprehensively toward the crowded ball-room.
他略带忧虑地朝喧闹的舞厅瞥了一眼。
"But I haven't seen her yet. Has she come?"
“不过我还没见着她呢。她来了吗?”
"No; at the last minute she decided not to."
“没有,她在最后一刻决定不来了。”
"At the last minute?" he echoed, betraying his surprise that she should ever have considered the alternative possible.
“最后一刻?”他重复道,她居然会改变主意,这使他十分惊讶。
"Yes. She's awfully fond of dancing," the young girl answered simply.
“是的,她特别喜欢跳舞,”姑娘坦率地回答说。
"But suddenly she made up her mind that her dress wasn't smart enough for a ball, though we thought it so lovely;
“可是她突然认定她的衣服在舞会上不够漂亮,尽管我们觉得它很美。
and so my aunt had to take her home."
所以我舅妈只得送她回家了。”
"Oh, well--" said Archer with happy indifference.
“噢——”阿切尔无所谓地说,其实,他这时倒是十分快乐。
Nothing about his betrothed pleased him more than her resolute determination to carry to its utmost limit that ritual of ignoring the "unpleasant" in which they had both been brought up.
他的未婚妻竭力回避他们俩在其中长大成人的那个“不快”的阴影,这比什么都使他高兴。
"She knows as well as I do," he reflected, "the real reason of her cousin's staying away;
“她心里跟我一样明白她表姐避不露面的真正原因,”他心想。
but I shall never let her see by the least sign that I am conscious of there being a shadow of a shade on poor Ellen Olenska's reputation."
“不过我决不能让她看出一点迹象,让她知道我了解可怜的埃伦·奥兰斯卡名誉上的阴影。”