Miss Welland's face grew rosy as the dawn, and she looked at him with radiant eyes.
韦兰小姐的脸变成曙光般的玫瑰红色,她两眼发光地看着他。
"If you can persuade Mamma," she said;
“如果你能说服妈妈的话,”她说,
"but why should we change what is already settled?"
“不过,已经定了的事,干吗要改变呢?”
He made no answer but that which his eyes returned, and she added, still more confidently smiling:
他没有说话,只用眼睛做了回答。她信心更足地笑着补充说:
"Tell my cousin yourself: I give you leave.
“你自己告诉我表姐吧,我允许你。
She says she used to play with you when you were children."
她说你还是孩子的时候,她常和你一起玩耍。”
She made way for him by pushing back her chair,
她把椅子向后推了推,给他让出了路。
and promptly, and a little ostentatiously, with the desire that the whole house should see what he was doing, Archer seated himself at the Countess Olenska's side.
阿切尔怀着一种让全场的人都能看见自己的举动的愿望,立刻示威性地坐到了奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人身边。
"We DID use to play together, didn't we?" she asked, turning her grave eyes to his.
“我们过去的确常在一起玩,不是吗?”她问道,一面用严肃的目光看着他的眼睛。
"You were a horrid boy, and kissed me once behind a door;
“你那时是个很讨厌的男孩,有一次你在门后面吻了我,
but it was your cousin Vandie Newland, who never looked at me, that I was in love with."
但那时我爱上的却是你的堂兄范迪·纽兰,可他从来不看我一眼。”
Her glance swept the horse-shoe curve of boxes.
她的目光扫视着那些马蹄形排列的包厢。
"Ah, how this brings it all back to me--I see everybody here in knickerbockers and pantalettes,"
“啊,这场面多让我回想起过去的一切啊——我发现这里人人都穿灯笼裤或宽松裤,”
she said, with her trailing slightly foreign accent, her eyes returning to his face.
她带着略微拖长的异国口音说,目光又回到他的脸上。
Agreeable as their expression was,
这番话尽管表达的感情是令人愉快的,
the young man was shocked that they should reflect so unseemly a picture of the august tribunal before which,
却竟然使他想到了威严的法庭,这一不相称的联想令年轻人感到震惊。
at that very moment, her case was being tried.
而此时此刻,这个法庭就摆在她的面前,她的案子正在进行审理。
Nothing could be in worse taste than misplaced flippancy;
没有什么东西比不合时宜的轻率更有伤大雅了。
and he answered somewhat stiffly: "Yes, you have been away a very long time."
他有点生硬地回答说:“是啊,你离开这儿已经很久了。”
"Oh, centuries and centuries; so long," she said,
“啊,好像有好几百年了。太久了,”她说,
"that I'm sure I'm dead and buried, and this dear old place is heaven;"
“让我觉得自己已经死了,被埋掉了,而这方亲切的故土就是天堂。”
which, for reasons he could not define, struck Newland Archer as an even more disrespectful way of describing New York society.
说不清是什么理由,纽兰·阿切尔只觉得这样形容纽约社会就更加失礼了。