“Ethan! Come look what Bailey did!”
“伊森!来看看贝利做了什么!”
At the sound of my name, pronounced so sternly, my ears fell.
我听到自己的名字被如此严厉地喊出来,耳朵立刻耷拉下来。
Somehow, Smokey and I had been found out.
不知怎么的,我和斯莫基做的事还是被发现了。
Ethan and I went into the house and I approached Mom with my tail in full wag so she’d forgive me.
伊森和我进了屋,我摇着尾巴去找妈妈,希望她能原谅我。
She was holding one of the shredded bags in her hand.
她手里拿着一个被撕碎的袋子。
“The door to the garage was open. Look what he did,” Mom said. “Bailey, you are a bad dog. A bad dog.”
“车库的门开着。你看看他做了什么”妈妈说。“贝利,你真不乖,太不乖了。”
I hung my head.
我低下了头。
Though I’d technically done nothing wrong, I realized that Mom was mad at me.
虽然严格来说我没有做错什么,但我意识到妈妈在生我的气。
Ethan was, too, particularly when he started to pick up the bits of plastic off the floor.
伊森也是,尤其是他捡起地板上的塑料碎片时。
“How in the world did he even get up on the counter? He must have jumped,” Mom said.
“他究竟是怎么爬上柜台的?它一定是跳上去的”妈妈说。
“You are a bad dog, a bad, bad dog, Bailey,” Ethan told me again.
“你太不乖了,贝利。”伊森又对我说了一遍。
Smokey strolled in, leaping languidly onto the counter.
斯莫基踱了进来,懒洋洋地跳到柜台上。
I gave him a glum look—he was a bad cat, a bad, bad cat.
我闷闷不乐地看了他一眼——他是一只坏猫,全世界最坏的猫。
Amazingly, no one said anything to Smokey about his role as instigator.
令我惊讶的是,没有任何人斥责作为始作俑者的斯莫基。
Instead, they gave him a fresh can of food!
相反,他们还给了他一罐新鲜的食物!
I sat expectantly, figuring I should at least get a dog biscuit, but everyone was still giving me cross looks.
我满怀期待地坐着,想着我至少应该能得到一块饼干,但每个人都用生气的眼神看着我。
Mom pushed a mop around on the floor, and the boy carried a bag of trash out into the garage.
妈妈把拖把在地板上推来推去,伊森则拎着一袋垃圾进了车库。
“Bailey, that was bad,” the boy whispered to me again.
“贝利,瞧瞧你捣的蛋”男孩再次对我耳语道。
Apparently, everyone was having a much harder time getting over the incident than I was.
显然,这件事对大家的伤害似乎比对我还要大很多。
I was still in the kitchen when I heard Mom shriek, “Bailey!” from the back of the house.
我还在厨房里的时候,突然听到房子后面的妈妈大声叫着“贝利!”。
I guessed she had found her shoes.
我猜她应该是发现了她的鞋子。