I could tell by the smells in the Yard that I had missed supper, but I couldn’t have cared less, at that point.
我可以从院子里的气味判断出我错过了晚餐,但我也顾不上这些了。
I found a cool patch of earth and flopped down with a groan.
我找到一块阴凉的地儿,呻吟着扑倒在地。
Fast was lying there, and he looked over at me—he, too, was wearing the ridiculous collar.
Fast躺在那里,他看向我——我发现,他也戴着那个傻项圈。
What had Bobby done to us?
鲍比对我们做了什么?
The three females who had gone with us to the building with the nice lady were nowhere to be seen.
跟我们一起去那栋楼里去见那位漂亮女士的那三位女士不知道去哪儿了。
The next day I limped around the Yard, sniffing for signs of Coco,
第二天,我一瘸一拐地在院子里走来走去,到处嗅着,想寻找可可的踪迹,
but there was no evidence that she had come back with us.
但是没有迹象表明她她也回到了这里。
Aside from the humiliation of the stupid collar,
除了要戴着这丢人的项圈,
I also had to suffer the indignity of an inspection of the sore area by every male in the pack.
伙伴里的每一只公狗都会来瞧瞧我受伤的地方,这感觉让我备受羞耻。
Top Dog flipped me over on my back with a not-so-gentle shove,
狗老大不客气地推了我一下,我倒在地上,
and I lay there in misery as first he and then the other males sniffed me with undisguised contempt.
我痛苦地躺在那里,它和其他的公狗嗅着我,它们毫不掩饰对我的轻蔑。
They didn’t try the same thing with the females, who bounded into the yard a few days later.
几天后,伙伴中的一些母狗也回到了院子里,她们也被带上了项圈,但公狗们没有对母狗这样做。
I was overjoyed to see Coco, who also wore the strange collar,
我很高兴在母狗中看到了可可,但她也戴着奇怪的项圈,
and Fast did his best to comfort Sister, who plainly felt the entire process had been traumatizing.
Fast尽力安慰姐姐,可以明显看出,这个过程让姐姐感受到了精神上的创伤。
Carlos eventually removed the collars,
卡洛斯终于摘掉了项圈,
and from that point on I found myself somehow less interested in the game where I climbed on Coco’s back.
从那一刻起,我发现自己对骑在可可背上的游戏不那么感兴趣了。
Instead, I had a new game,
我有了一个新游戏,
where I would strut up to Coco with a rubber bone and chew it right in front of her, tossing it up in the air and dropping it.
我会叼着一根橡胶骨头,昂首阔步地走到可可面前,在她面前咬住骨头,把骨头抛向空中,然后再让骨头掉下去。
She would pretend she didn’t want it, looking away, but her eyes always came back to the bone when I nudged it toward her with my nose.
可可会假装自己不想要,把眼睛望向别处,但当我用鼻子把骨头推给她时,她还是会忍不住看向骨头。
Finally she would lose control and lunge,
最后她会忍不住扑向骨头,
but I knew her so well I could snatch the bone away before she closed her jaws on it.
但我太了解她了,我能在她咬住骨头之前把骨头叼走。
I would dance back, wagging joyfully, and sometimes she would chase me and we’d run in big circles,
我会跳回她面前,开心地摇尾巴。有时候,她会追着我绕着大圈子跑,
which was my favorite part of the game.
这是我最喜欢的部分。