"John," he said, shuddering, "it's most beastly stuff. It's that nasty, sticky, sweet kind."
“约翰,”达林先生说,打了个寒颤,“那东西难吃得要命。是那种又粘又甜的腻味死人的东西。”
"It will soon be over, father," John said cheerily, and then in rushed Wendy with the medicine in a glass.
“吃下去一会儿就没事了,爸爸。”约翰给他打气。这时,温迪跑了进来,手里拿着一玻璃杯药水。
"I have been as quick as I could," she panted.
“我尽快跑来了。”她喘着气说。
"You have been wonderfully quick," her father retorted, with a vindictive politeness that was quite thrown away upon her.
“你真是快得出奇,”她爸爸带点报复意味地、彬彬有礼地讥讽道。
"Michael first," he said doggedly.
“迈克尔先吃。”他固执地说。
"Father first," said Michael, who was of a suspicious nature.
“爸爸先吃。”迈克尔说,他生性多疑。
"I shall be sick, you know," Mr. Darling said threateningly.
“我要作呕的,你知道。”达林先生吓唬他。
"Come on, father," said John.
“吃吧,爸爸。”约翰说。
"Hold your tongue, John," his father rapped out.
“你别说话,约翰。”他的爸爸厉声说。
Wendy was quite puzzled. "I thought you took it quite easily, father."
温迪给闹糊涂了:“我以为你很容易就吃下去了,爸爸。”
"That is not the point," he retorted. "The point is, that there is more in my glass that in Michael's spoon."
“问题不在这儿,”达林先生反驳说,“问题在于,我杯子里的药比迈克尔汤匙里的药多。”
His proud heart was nearly bursting. "And it isn't fair: I would say it though it were with my last breath; it isn't fair."
他那颗高傲的心几乎要迸裂了。“这不公平。就算我只剩最后一口气,我也要说,这不公平。”
"Father, I am waiting," said Michael coldly.
“爸爸,我等着呢。”迈克尔冷冷地说。
"It's all very well to say you are waiting; so am I waiting."
“你说得倒好。你等着呢,我也等着呢。”
"Father's a cowardly custard."
“爸爸是个没骨头的胆小鬼。”
"So are you a cowardly custard."
“那你也是个没骨头的胆小鬼。”
"I'm not frightened."
“我才不怕。”
"Neither am I frightened."
“我也不怕。”
"Well, then, take it."
“好啊,你吃下去。”
"Well, then, you take it."
“好啊,那你吃下去。”
Wendy had a splendid idea. "Why not both take it at the same time?"
温迪想到一条绝妙的计策:“干吗不两个人一起吃呢?”
"Certainly," said Mr. Darling. "Are you ready, Michael?"
“当然可以,”达林先生说,“你谁备好了吗,迈克尔?”
Wendy gave the words, one, two, three, and Michael took his medicine, but Mr. Darling slipped his behind his back.
温迪数着,一、二、三,迈克尔吃下了他的药,可是达林先生却把他的药藏到背后了。