“Well,” said the Linnet, hopping now on one leg and now on the other,
“呵,”红雀说,他时而用这一只脚跳,时而又用另一只脚跳。
“as soon as the winter was over, and the primroses began to open their pale yellow stars,
“冬天刚一过去,樱草开始开放它们的浅黄色星花的时候,
the Miller said to his wife that he would go down and see little Hans.
磨坊主便对他的妻子说,他准备下山去看望一下小汉斯。
“Why, what a good heart you have!’ cried his Wife;
“啊,你的心肠真好!’他的妻子大声喊道,
‘you are always thinking of others. And mind you take the big basket with you for the flowers.’
‘你总是想着别人。别忘了带上装花朵的大篮子。’
“So the Miller tied the sails of the windmill together with a strong iron chain,
“于是磨坊主用一根坚实的铁链把风车的翼板固定在一起,
and went down the hill with the basket on his arm.
随后将篮子挎在手膀上就下山去了。
“Good morning, little Hans,’ said the Miller.
“早上好,小汉斯。’磨坊主说。
“Good morning,’ said Hans, leaning on his spade, and smiling from ear to ear.
“早上好。’汉斯回答道,把身体靠在铁铲上,满脸堆着笑容。
“And how have you been all the winter?’ said the Miller.
“整个冬天你都过得好吗?’磨坊主又开口问道。
“Well, really,’ cried Hans, ‘it is very good of you to ask, very good indeed.
“啊,是啊,’汉斯大声说,‘蒙你相问,你真是太好了,太好了。
I am afraid I had rather a hard time of it, but now the spring has come, and I am quite happy, and all my flowers are doing well.’
我要说我过得是有些困难,不过现在春天已经到了,我好快活呀,我的花都长得很好。’
“We often talked of you during the winter, Hans,’ said the Miller, ‘and wondered how you were getting on.’
“今年冬天我们常提起你,’磨坊主说,‘还关心你过得怎么样了。’
“That was kind of you,’ said Hans; ‘I was half afraid you had forgotten me.’
“太感谢你了,’汉斯说,‘我真有点担心你会把我给忘了。’
“Hans, I am surprised at you,’ said the Miller; ‘friendship never forgets.
“汉斯,你说的话让我吃惊,’磨坊主说;
That is the wonderful thing about it, but I am afraid you don’t understand the poetry of life.
‘友谊从不会让人忘记,这就是友谊的非凡所在,但是只恐怕你还不懂得生活的诗意。
How lovely your primroses are looking, by-the-bye!”
啊,对了,你的樱草长得多可爱呀!’
“They are certainly very lovely,’ said Hans, ‘and it is a most lucky thing for me that I have so many.
“它们长得确实可爱,’汉斯说,‘我的运气太好了,会有这么多的樱草。
I am going to bring them into the market and sell them to the Burgomaster’s daughter, and buy back my wheelbarrow with the money.’
我要把它们拿到市场上去卖,卖给市长的女儿,有了钱就去赎回我的小推车。’