Dr. Jill, I hear you're going on a trip nextweek.
吉尔博士,我听说你下周要去旅行。
Yes, I'm going to Sri Lanka and India.
是的,我要去斯里兰卡和印度。
I haven't been there in ten years.
我已经十年没去过那里了。
I loved the elephant rescue center.
我喜欢大象救援中心。
Are you studying the languages they speak there?
你在学习他们在那里说的语言吗?
You know me pretty well!
你很了解我!
I did learn some Tamil, but they speak English there, too!
我确实学了一些泰米尔语,但那里的人也说英语!
Of course.
当然了。
It's a bit different, isn't it?
两种语言有点区别,对吧?
Yes, they borrow some words from Hindi, like my favorite stop--the chai wallah.
是的,他们借用了印地语中的一些词,比如我最喜欢的一站--阿拉普扎。
You've been to South Africa, haven't you?
你去过南非,对吧?
Their English is different from ours, too.
他们的英语也和我们的不同。
I was surprised when my friend said he'd "pick me" at seven o'clock for dinner.
我朋友说他会在七点钟来“接我”吃晚饭时,我很惊讶。
And when I lived in Japan there were some English words I didn't understand.
我住在日本的时候,有一些英语单词我不懂。
You've traveled a lot--what do you think of all these different ways to speak English?
你去过很多地方旅游--你对这些说英语的不同方式有什么看法?
I think they're great!
我觉得很棒!
It's really interesting to hear how people have made English fit their own culture.
听到人们如何让英语适应自己的文化真的很有趣。
The experts call these varieties World Englishes.
专家们称这些变种为世界英语。
So many of my students ask, "How can I sound like an American?"
我的很多学生都会问:“我怎么才能听起来像个美国人?
I tell them, "Be proud of the way you speak English."
我告诉他们:“为你说英语的方式感到骄傲。”
Yes!
是的!
We like hearing people with different ways of speaking English.
我们喜欢听人们用不同的方式说英语。
Now I can tell them, "You're speaking a 'World English.'
现在我可以告诉他们,“你说的是‘世界英语’。
Be proud of it!"
感到骄傲吧!”
And that's Everyday Grammar!
以上就是今天的《每日语法》!