"I wish you could see the wainscoting in that drawing-room, Joe! And those Astrakhan rug portieres.
“我希望你能看到客厅里的护壁板,乔!还有那些阿斯特拉罕的呢子门帘。
And Clementina has such a funny little cough. I hope she is stronger than she looks. Oh, I really am getting attached to her,
克蕾门蒂娜老是有点咳嗽。我希望她的身体比她的外表强健些。喔,我实在越来越喜欢她了,
she is so gentle and high bred. Gen. Pinkney's brother was once Minister to Bolivia."
她那么温柔,人也很有教养。品克奈将军的弟弟一度做过驻波利维亚的公使。”
And then Joe, with the air of a Monte Cristo, drew forth a ten, a five, a two and a one--all legal tender notes—
接着,乔带着基度山伯爵的神气,掏出一张十元、一张五元、一张两元和一张一元的钞票——全是合法的纸币——
and laid them beside Delia's earnings.
把它们放在德丽雅挣来的钱旁边。
"Sold that watercolour of the obelisk to a man from Peoria," he announced overwhelmingly.
“那幅方尖碑的水彩画卖给了一个从庇奥利亚来的人,“他郑重其事地宣布说。
"Don't joke with me," said Delia, "not from Peoria!"
“别跟我开玩笑啦,”德丽雅——“不会是从庇奥利亚来的吧!”
"All the way. I wish you could see him, Dele. Fat man with a woollen muffler and a quill toothpick.
“确实是那儿来的。我希望你能见到他,德丽。一个胖子,围着羊毛围巾,啣着一根翮管牙签。
He saw the sketch in Tinkle's window and thought it was a windmill at first, he was game, though, and bought it anyhow.
他在丁克尔的橱窗里看到了那幅画,起先还以为是座风车呢。他倒很气派,不管三七二十一的,把它买下了。
He ordered another--an oil sketch of the Lackawanna freight depot--to take back with him.
他另外预定了一幅——勒加黄那货运车站的油画——准备带回家去。
Music lessons! Oh, I guess Art is still in it."
我的画,加上你的音乐课!呵,我想艺术还是有前途的。”
"I'm so glad you've kept on," said Delia, heartily. "you're bound to win, dear. Thirty-three dollars!
“你坚持下去,真使我高兴,”德丽雅热切地说。“你一定会成功的,亲爱的。三十三块钱!
We never had so much to spend before. We'll have oysters to-night."
我们从来没有这么多可以花的钱。今晚我们买牡蛎吃。”
"And filet mignon with champignons," said Joe. "Were is the olive fork?"
“加上炸嫩牛排和香菌,“乔说,“肉叉在哪儿?”