Tom, however, was still not disheartened;
尽管如此,汤姆并没有灰心丧气。
and thinking the wolf would not dislike having some chat with him as he was going along, he called out,
他想,这只狼也许可以边走边和他聊天,于是他叫道:
'My good friend, I can show you a famous treat.'
“我的好朋友,我可以带你去一个地方,那里有好多好多你爱吃的。”
'Where's that?' said the wolf.
“在哪儿呢?”狼说。
'In such and such a house,' said Tom, describing his own father's house.
“在这样这样的一个房子里,”汤姆说,他描述的是自己父亲的房子。
'You can crawl through the drain into the kitchen and then into the pantry,
“你可以从排水管爬到厨房里去,然后再进食品间,
and there you will find cakes, ham, beef, cold chicken, roast pig, apple-dumplings, and everything that your heart can wish.'
在那里你可以找到蛋糕、火腿、牛肉、冷鸡肉、烤猪肉、苹果布丁,以及你想要的一切东西。”
The wolf did not want to be asked twice;
这只狼没等他说第二遍,
so that very night he went to the house and crawled through the drain into the kitchen,
在那天深夜就来到了小屋,通过排水管进了厨房,
and then into the pantry, and ate and drank there to his heart's content.
心满意足地在食品间吃吃喝喝。
As soon as he had had enough he wanted to get away;
在他吃饱喝足后,再想出去可就不行了;
but he had eaten so much that he could not go out by the same way he came in.
但他吃得太多了,再从排水沟出去已经不可能了。
This was just what Tom had reckoned upon;
这正是汤姆提前料到的。
and now he began to set up a great shout, making all the noise he could.
于是汤姆开始放开嗓门大喊大叫起来,制造各种噪音。
'Will you be easy?' said the wolf,
“你安静一点行吗?”狼说,
'You'll awaken everybody in the house if you make such a clatter.'
“你再这么吵,会把屋里的人都吵醒的。”
'What's that to me?' said the little man,
“那跟我有什么关系?”小家伙说,
'You have had your frolic, now I've a mind to be merry myself';
“你现在吃饱了快活了,我也想快活快活呀。”
and he began, singing and shouting as loud as he could.
接着放开嗓子又是唱歌又是叫喊。
The woodman and his wife, being awakened by the noise, peeped through a crack in the door;
樵夫和他的妻子被那噪音惊醒了,他们从门缝里往里窥探。
but when they saw a wolf was there, you may well suppose that they were sadly frightened;
但当他们看到那里有一只狼时,他两可下了一跳。
and the woodman ran for his axe, and gave his wife a scythe.
樵夫赶忙去拿了一把斧头,给了他的妻子一把大镰刀。
'Do you stay behind,' said the woodman,
“你跟在后面,”樵夫说,
'and when I have knocked him on the head you must rip him up with the scythe.'
“当我一斧头砍到他的头上的时候,你就用镰刀把它撕碎。”
Tom heard all this, and cried out, 'Father, father! I am here, the wolf has swallowed me.'
汤姆听到这一切,喊道:“爸爸,爸爸!我在这儿,这只狼把我吞下去了。”
And his father said, 'Heaven be praised! We have found our dear child again';
他的父亲说,“谢天谢地!我们终于找回我们亲爱的孩子!”
and he told his wife not to use the scythe for fear she should hurt him.
他担心妻子会伤到自己的儿子,让她把镰刀扔了。
Then he aimed a great blow, and struck the wolf on the head, and killed him on the spot!
自己拿着斧子,对准狼头部狠狠劈去,正劈在狼的头顶,劈死了!
And when he was dead they cut open his body, and set Tommy free.
狼死后,他们切开它的身体,把汤姆放了出来。
'Ah!' said the father, 'What fears we have had for you!'
“啊!”父亲说,“我们真为你担惊受怕啊!”
'Yes, father,' answered he;
“好啦,爸爸,”他回答。
'I have travelled all over the world, I think, in one way or other, since we parted;
“我们分别之后,我周游了不少地方。
and now I am very glad to come home and get fresh air again.'
现在我真高兴回家又能呼吸新鲜空气了。”
'Why, where have you been?' said his father.
“怎么,你到哪里去了?”他的父亲说。
'I have been in a mouse-hole—and in a snail-shell—and down a cow's throat—and in the wolf's belly;
“我钻过老鼠洞,待过蜗牛壳,进过牛的咽喉最后又到了狼的肚子里。
and yet here I am again, safe and sound.'
不过我现在已经完好无损的回家了。”
'Well,' said they, 'you are come back, and we will not sell you again for all the riches in the world.'
“好吧,”他们说,“你回来了,我们也不会再卖你了,即使用世上所有的财富来换,我们也不卖了。”
Then they hugged and kissed their dear little son, and gave him plenty to eat and drink, for he was very hungry;
然后他们拥抱和亲吻他们亲爱的小儿子,给他好多好吃的好喝的,因为他实在是饿极了。
and then they fetched new clothes for him, for his old ones had been quite spoiled on his journey.
他们还给拿来新衣服,因为他的旧衣服在这次历险中已经完全破损了。
So Master Thumb stayed at home with his father and mother, in peace; for though he had been so great a traveller,
于是汤姆和他的父母一直平平淡淡地生活在家里。即使他曾经是一个了不起的旅行家,
and had done and seen so many fine things, and was fond enough of telling the whole story,
做过许多好事,欣赏很多美好风景,钟爱讲述所发生的一切故事,
he always agreed that, after all, there's no place like HOME!
可他依旧赞同一个观点,虽然外面很美好,但也没有任何地方能比得上自己的家!