Winter is here, which means it's time for warm clothes, thick socks and getting shocked by everything you touch.
冬天到了,这就意味着要穿上暖和的衣服和厚袜子了,还有就是触摸一切东西时都会被电到了。
What do doorknobs and light switches have against you?
门把手和电灯开关上是什么在“攻击”你呢?
Electrons, mostly.
主要就是电子。
Static shocks occur when two things with different electrical charges get close enough.
当两个带有不同电荷的物体靠得足够近时,就会产生静电。
You see this as cloth fresh from the dryer, door handles, and balloons.
你可以从刚从烘干机里拿出来的衣服上、门把手、气球上感受到静电。
It happens in nature, too. Lightning is just a really big static discharge.
它也发生在自然界。雷电只是一种强烈的静电放电。
These charges get built up through friction,
电荷的积累是通过摩擦形成的,
like when you're walking across carpet in thick wool socks or putting those warm flannel sheets on the bed for the winter.
比如当你穿着厚厚的羊毛袜子走过地毯,或者在冬天把温暖的法兰绒床单放在床上时。
And yes, it's worse when it's cold out.
是的,当天气寒冷的时候情况会更糟。
In dry winter air, there's less water vapor to conduct charge away from you.
在空气干燥的冬季,水蒸气量变得更少,身上产生的电荷不能及时被带走。
The lower the humidity, the higher the voltage of static discharges.
湿度越低,静电放电电压越高。
So now you know -- not that knowing will make it any easier to brave the door handle every morning.
所以现在你知道了吧--但了解了这些,并不能让我们每天早上更勇敢地面对门把手。
If you take off those fluffy socks, not only will you ground yourself, but you'll also cause less friction as you walk.
你可以脱下那些毛茸茸的袜子,这不仅会让你自己脚踏实地,走路时也会减少摩擦。
Or, if you'd rather keep your toes warm, a humidifier can prevent the air in your home from drying out.
或者,如果你不想让脚感到寒冷,那么就用加湿器吧,它可以防止家里的空气变干。