This is Everyday Grammar.
这里是《每日语法》节目。
I was on the metro this morning and her two women talking.
我今天早上在地铁上,听到两个女士在聊天。
One of them said she wanted to visit Nepal but plane tickets were too expensive.
其中一个人说她想去尼泊尔旅行,但是飞机票太贵了。
So I turned around and said this.
所以我转过去对她说。
You know, if you're willing to travel in February, the tickets will be cheaper.
你知道吗,如果你愿意在二月去的话,机票会便宜一些。
Our talk got me to thinking about how English speakers express the idea of willingness.
我们的对话让我思考,英语母语者是如何表达意愿的。
To show willingness, we often use the phrase "be willing to".
我们经常使用“be willing to”这个短语来表达意愿。
To "be willing to" do something means to be ready, eager, or prepared to do it.
愿意做某事,意味着准备、渴望或者准备去做某事。
It's not the same as saying you want to do it, but that you don't need persuading.
这和想要做某事不一样,你不需要被说服。
Being willing to do something often means making a sacrifice.
愿意做某事常常意味着有所牺牲。
Whether large or small.
或大或小。
For example, though it could save her a lot of money, the woman's preferred travel time might not be February.
比如,即使可以省下一大笔钱,那位女士想要去旅行的时间可能不是二月。
Here's how we form the phrase.
这个短语的构成是这样的。
"Be" plus "willing" plus infinitive verb.
be动词加“willing”加动词不定式。
In my talk with the woman, the verb "be" is in the present tense, "are", followed by "willing" then the infinitive "to travel".
在我和这位女士的对话中,be动词是现在时态“are”,后面跟着“willing”,然后是不定式“to travel”。
Here's another example, but with the past tense "was".
再举一个例子,但是用过去时态“was”。
Ellie was willing to practice her English every day.
艾力愿意每天练习英语。
The phrase "be willing to" can also take the negative form, like this:
短语“be willing to”也可以用在被动语态中,像这样:
Victor wasn't willing to practice his English every day.
维克多不愿意每天练习英语。
That's too bad for Victor.
这对维克多来说太可惜了。
But hopefully you're willing to practice your English every day!
但是,希望你愿意每天练习英语!
And that's Everyday Grammar.
以上就是今天的《每日语法》。