This is a big topic, and there's a lot of information in this video;
这是一个大的话题,这个视频中包含有很多信息;
however, you haven't even seen the most important thing about linking words yet…
然而,你们还没有看到关于连接单词最重要的部分…
Here's the most important idea about linking words: you can't connect ideas with linking words.
关于连接词,最重要的一点是:不能用连词连接思路。
What? That doesn't make sense, you say.
什么?你可能会觉得,这讲不通吧。
What do linking words do if they don't connect ideas?
如果连词不能连接思路,那它们又有什么用呢?
Linking words don't connect ideas; they highlight a connection which is already there.
连接词无法连接思路;它们只是突出了已经存在的联系。
They make the connection—which already exists—clearer to your reader.
连接词能够让已经存在的联系更加清晰,方便阅读。
This is important because it's one of the biggest problems IELTS students have with linking words.
这一点很重要,因为这是雅思学生在连词时遇到的最大问题之一。
IELTS candidates know they need to use linking words, so they do.
雅思考生都知道需要使用连词,他们也照做了。
But, very often, their linking words don't fit the logic of their ideas.
但是,大多时候,他们的连词并不符合思想的逻辑。
This is a common feature of band six writing.
这是六级写作的通病。
Here's an example, which is from a real practice essay written by one of our students:
这里有一个例子,是我们的一个学生写的一篇实践文章:
We see this problem all the time.
这是个老生常谈的问题。
There's a linking phrase—'for instance'
文章有一个连接短语——“for instance”
which should be used to introduce an example of the preceding point.
应该用来介绍前面观点的范例。
But, in this case, the points before and after the linking word are not obviously connected at all.
但是,在这种情况下,连接词之前和之后的观点没有明显的连接。
The point after 'for instance' is certainly not an example of a trade war between manufacturing companies or countries.
“for instance”后面接的观点当然不能是制造企业或国家之间贸易战的例子。
Remember: this is very common, and it's also a common reason why students can't get scores above six or six point five.
记住:这种问题很常见,也是学生成绩无法超过6或6.5分的常见原因。
If you do this in your writing, your coherence and cohesion score will be limited to six maximum.
如果在写作中这样做,那么连贯性和连贯性得分将被限制在6分以内。
We'll say it again: you can't create a connection by using linking words or phrases.
再强调一遍:不能通过连接单词或短语来建立联系。
The connection is already there, in the logic of your ideas.
这种联系已经存在于观点的逻辑中了。
You use the linking word to highlight the connection which already exists.
使用连接词来突显已经存在的联系。
So, to use linking words well,
所以,为了很好地使用连词,
you need to have a clear understanding of your essay structure and how your ideas are organised.
你需要清楚地了解文章结构以及观点是如何组织的。
This mostly depends on planning before you start writing your answer.
这主要取决于你开始作答前的规划。
If your ideas aren't well-organised in your mind, then using linking words won't help you.
如果你并没有在头脑中组织好思路,那么使用连接词对你没有任何帮助。
Like you heard, this is a big topic, so let's review what you should do.
正如你听到的,这是一个大的话题,那么我们来回顾一下你应该做什么。
One: divide linking words according to the idea they express.
一:根据连接词所表达的意思,将它们分开。
Start by learning two to three linking words or phrases for each function.
学习每项功能的两到三个连接词或短语,从这里入手吧。
Two: understand the grammar of each linking word;
二:掌握每个连接词的语法;
find out what part of speech it is, and how to use it in a sentence.
看看它属于什么词类,以及如何在句子中使用。
Three: go into more detail.
第三:更加详细。
Many words have a similar meaning, but very few words have exactly the same meaning.
许多词汇有相似的意思,但很少有词汇是完全相同的意思。
Most words have unique features which you need to know about if you want to use the word well.
大多数单词都有独特的特点,如果你想利用好这个单词,需要知道这些特点。
Four: practise planning and make sure your ideas are well-organised before you start writing.
四:开始写作前,练习你的规划并确保你的想法有条理。
Effective linking depends on logic and structure, not on the words and phrases you use.
有效的连接依赖于逻辑和结构,而不是所使用的单词和短语。
Good luck if you have an IELTS exam coming up soon, and thanks for watching! See you next time!
祝即将参加雅思考试的学生们好运,感谢收看!下次见!