Welcome to English @ the Movies -- American Classics
欢迎来到《看电影学英语》(美国经典版)节目,
where we teach you American English heard at the movies.
我们会在这里讲解你在电影中听到的美式英语。
Luke Jackson is the main character in the 1967 movie "Cool Hand Luke."
卢克·杰克逊是1967上映的电影《铁窗喋血》中的主人公。
He carries out a small crime and is sentenced to a prison in Florida.
他因一些小事被判在佛罗里达州的监狱服刑。
The detainees there are forced to do hard labor.
那里的罪犯要被迫去做苦工。
Luke has a strong, free spirit and gains respect from other prisoners.
卢克有着坚强且自由的精神,因此得到了其他囚犯的尊敬。
The guards do not share that respect.
守卫们可没有这种尊敬。
After an escape attempt, the prison captain seeks to make an example of Luke.
在一次越狱尝试之后,监狱队长试图惩罚卢克以警戒他人。
Listen for the words, "failure to communicate."
留意听一下failure to communicate这个短语。
You gonna get used to wearing them chains after a while, Luke -- for your own good.
卢克,过一段时间你就会习惯戴上枷锁了,这是为了你好。
I wish you'd stop being so good to me, Captain.
我希望你不要再对我这么好了,长官。
Don't you ever talk that way to me.
别跟我这么说话。
What we've got here is failure to communicate.
我们的问题是无法沟通。
Some men you just can't reach.
有些人就是不听。
What do you think "failure to communicate" means?
你觉得failure to communicate是什么意思?
Is it: you must show me respect and do as I say, or you are not listening to me.
是你必须尊重我,按我说的去做,还是说你没在听我说话。
I wish you'd stop being so good to me, Captain.
我希望你不要再对我这么好了,长官。
Don't you ever talk that way to me.
别跟我这么说话。
What we've got here is failure to communicate.
我们的问题是无法沟通。
Here, "failure to communicate" means you must show me respect and do as I say.
在这里,failure to communicate的意思是你必须尊重我,按我说的去做。
The captain punishes Luke to prove his power, but Luke does not surrender.
监狱队长通过惩罚卢克来证明自己的权力,但卢克并没有屈服。
And that's English at the movies.
以上就是今天的《看电影学英语》。