"We were the smallest town for a while.
“我们曾经是最小的镇,有一段时间是。
Do we still wish we were?
至于我们是不是希望继续保持这一状态……
I don't know, to be a population of one and a population of two, and you're both in the same county, in the same state.
我不知道,但无论是一个人的小镇,还是两个人的小镇,我们都在同一个县同一个州。
I think that's pretty wonderful."
我觉得这点还是挺好的。”
"What is the population of Monowi?"
“莫诺维的人口是多少?”
"Population one, me."
“人口啊,一个,就我。”
"The population of Gross, Nebraska is one, two.
内布拉斯加州格罗斯的人口是1个,2个。
One, two."
一个他,一个我。”
"We don't have enough people.
“我们镇的人手是不够的。
It's nothing against the towns, nothing against the people running the businesses.
说不够并不是针对我们镇,也不是针对经营企业的人。
We simply have run out of people out in this area.
就只是我们这儿的人已经没有可用的了。
All we have in town is the bank vault that remains from the Gross State Bank.
我们镇上只剩下格罗斯州立银行的金库了。
Then we have a community Hall.
还有一个社区礼堂。
And then our house and the trailer house across the street."
再有就是我们的房子和马路对面的拖车屋。
"We had a high school here.
“以前有一所高中。
There was church until, oh, maybe the mid '60s."
还有教堂,一直到,嗯,大概60年代中期吧。”
"We have the same paperwork and everything to fill out that Omaha and New York City and every other city has.
奥马哈、纽约或其他城市要做的文书工作和所有需要填写的材料我们也有。
We don't have an election for mayor, I just let him keep that job."
我们只是不搞市长选举,我直接把这份工作甩给他了。”
"The young folks or any that go from here to the city,
“年轻人,其实也不止是年轻人啦,他们去了城市
they can adjust pretty well and make a good life there,
还能适应得很好,在那边过上不错的日子,
but you take somebody that's born and raised in the city and they usually just can't hack it out in this area."
但土生土长的城里人要是到了我们这儿,十有八九都适应不了。”
"Never gets lonely living in a town of two.
“住在只有两个人的小镇上我也从来都没有觉得寂寞过。
There's always somebody passing through.
因为经常都有人从这儿路过。
Values are different.
他们有和你不一样的价值观。
You don't have everything at your fingertips, so you just learn to sit and converse more."
因为你也不是什么都懂嘛,正因为如此,你刚好可以趁机坐下来跟他们好好聊聊啊。”
"I'm not here because I have to be.
“我留在这儿并不是因为我必须留在这儿。
I could close up and leave here any time I wanted, go wherever I wanted.
我随时都可以关门走人,去任何我想去的地方。
I'm here because I want to be here."
我留在这儿就是因为我想留在这儿。”