Let me give you another example "from cozy to crazy", and it happened right here in Chicago.
让我再举一个从舒适到疯狂的例子,它就发生在芝加哥。
In 1999, after years of studying at law school, hard work as a young, and then not so young lawyer,
1999年,在结束了法学院几年的学习并成为一名年轻的律师,并不是那么的年轻的律师之后,
my partners at Baker & McKenzie elected me chairman of this global unique law firm.
我在贝克·麦坚时国际律师事务所的合伙人,将我选为这家全球知名法律公司的董事长。
Working and living here in Chicago allowed me to thrive as a lawyer,
在芝加哥的工作和生活使我得以成长为一名律师,
as a leader, and as a mother of two wonderful boys.
一名领导,两个出色孩子的母亲。
And I could not have made it without the support and tolerance of my family, they are here today,
没有家人的支持和宽容,我不可能做到这一点,他们今天就在这里,
and the help of my great colleagues and friends, some of whom are here today as well.
没有优秀的同事和朋友的帮助,我也不可能做到这一点,他们当中有些人今天也来到了这里。
But in 2005, I received a phone call, a bit like you, President.
但是在2005年,我接到了一通电话,这和你有点像,校长先生。
The call was from Paris, and it was the Prime Minister.
这通电话是来自巴黎的,是总理给我打的。
And he was asking me to join the French government as Trade Secretary.
他要求我加入法国政府,担任外贸部部长。
Now when your country calls you to public service, there is really one answer you can give.
当你的国家要求你参与公众服务的时候,你实际上能给出的答案只有一个。
So I gave up my cozy life as chairman, my wonderful expected retirement plan,
因此,我放弃了舒适的董事长生活,放弃了理想的退休计划,
packed my bag and flew immediately to Paris that very same day.
收拾行囊,就在当天立即飞往了巴黎。
And actually, in my haste, I managed to forget my glasses.
事实上,在匆忙中,我忘记了我的眼镜。
So for first few days in office, the newest French minister was blinking and squinting a lot!
所以在上任的头几天,这位新任的法国部长总是不停地眨眼和眯眼!
But going from "cozy" to "crazy" allowed me to move from the private sector to national public service,
但是从舒适到疯狂,使我从私营部门来到了国家公共服务部门,
and then to international public service; from France to the United States and to the world.
再到国际公共服务部门;从法国到美国再到全世界。
And one of the major lessons I have learned during that journey is this:
在这段旅程中,我学到的主要经验之一就是:
be prepared for change, be willing to take risks, be willing to take "smart risks",
为变化做好准备,愿意承担风险,愿意“明智地冒险”,
and don't ever be afraid of re-inventing yourself along the way.
不要害怕在这个过程中重新塑造自己。