Whether they become Whoppers or boutique grass-fed steaks, cows produce an enormous amount of greenhouse gas.
无论最终是被做成皇堡还是被做成精美的草饲牛排,肉牛产生的温室气体的量都是极大的。
If cows were a country, they would be the third-largest greenhouse gas emitter in the world.
如果所有肉牛组成一个国家,它们将会是世界第三大温室气体排放国。
According to the research director of Project Drawdown —
据“减排计划”(Project Drawdown)——
a nonprofit organization dedicated to modeling solutions to address climate change —
一个致力于通过建模解决气候变化问题的非营利性组织——项目研究主管透露,
eating a plant-based diet is "the most important contribution every individual can make to reversing global warming."
走植物性饮食道路是“大家能为扭转全球变暖趋势做出的最重要的贡献,而且人人都能做到”。
Americans overwhelmingly accept the science of climate change.
美国民众大都认可气候变化方面的科学研究。
A majority of both Republicans and Democrats say that the United States should have remained in the Paris climate accord.
大部分共和党人和民主党人都一致认为,美国不应退出《巴黎气候协定》。
We don't need new information, and we don't need new values.
我们需要的不是新信息,也不是新的价值观。
We only need to walk through the open door.
我们需要的只是走进那扇已经敞开的大门。
We cannot claim to care about the humane treatment of animals while continuing to eat meat regularly.
一边扬言我们在意动物是否受到人道待遇,一边继续保持定期吃肉的习惯是不行的。
The farming system we rely on is woven through with misery.
吃肉依赖的养殖体系已经充满痛苦。
Modern chickens have been so genetically modified that their very bodies have become prisons of pain even if we open their cages.
如今的鸡由于基因被改造得太多,身体早已成为它们的囚笼,即便我们打开笼子,它们也得不到解脱。
Turkeys are bred to be so obese that they are incapable of reproducing without artificial insemination.
人工培育的火鸡由于体型太过肥胖,已经到了离开人工授精就无法自然繁殖的地步。
Mother cows have their calves ripped from them before weaning,
小牛犊断奶前就会被从母牛身边夺走,
resulting in acute distress we can hear in their wails and empirically measure through the cortisol in their bodies.
结果就是,无论是母牛的哀嚎,还是对它们体内皮质醇水平的检测,我们都不难听出或看出它们的悲痛。
No label or certification can avoid these kinds of cruelty.
无论农场有着怎样的标签,怎样的认证,都避不开这些残忍的行为。
We don't need any animal rights activist waving a finger at us.
我们无需任何动物权益保护者对我们指手画脚。
We don't need to be convinced of anything we don't already know.
也无需认同任何我们尚不知晓的道理。
We need to listen to ourselves.
我们只需倾听我们内心的声音。
We cannot protect against pandemics while continuing to eat meat regularly.
继续保持定期吃肉的习惯,我们就无法阻止下一轮疫情的到来。
Much attention has been paid to wet markets,
水产市场已经受到了重视,
but factory farms, specifically poultry farms, are a more important breeding ground for pandemics.
问题是,工厂化养殖场,尤其是家禽养殖场,比水产市场还要容易滋生流行病。
Further, the C.D.C. reports that three out of four new or emerging infectious diseases are zoonotic —
此外,CDC报告显示,每四种新出现的传染病中有三种都是动物传播给人的——
the result of our broken relationship with animals.
换句话说,就是人与动物关系失衡的结果。
译文由可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载。