This is one piece of nature we haven't really observed right yet,
这是自然界的一部分,我们尚未真正观察到,
to see gravitational waves, whether they really affect things here the way we think they do.
然而为了观察到引力波,不管它们是否按我们认为的影响这里的东西。
We don't know where the sources are that we're looking for,
我们不知道我们在寻找的源头在哪里,
so we have to look farther and farther out until we catch one.
所以我们不得不看得越来越远,直到逮住一个。
In the most extreme places in the universe, Einstein is still on dodgy ground.
在宇宙间最极端的地方,爱因斯坦仍然处于不靠谱的地步。
As we travel deeper into space and time we're beginning to realise that Einstein's universe may unravel.
随着我们深入到空间与时间里,我们开始意识到爱因斯坦的宇宙可能会崩溃。
But to know the cosmos, we need to know how gravity works everywhere.
然而要了解宇宙,就必须了解引力的整个机理。
In the most sinister of cosmic phenomena,
在最险恶的宇宙现象中,
in the dark heart of a black hole, Einstein has no answers.
在不为人知的黑洞中心,爱因斯坦没辙了。
And his idea of gravity completely fails in the most violent event in history.
他的引力概念对于历史上最剧烈的事件完全不管用。
At the Big Bang, the origin of everything, the universe was incredibly hot,
在大爆炸,万物的起始点,宇宙的温度极其高,
incredibly dense and incredibly small.
密度极其密、极其小。
All matter was condensed into a space smaller than a single atom.
所有的物质被压缩在一个比单个的原子还小的空间里。
And here lies the problem.
那里充满了疑问。