手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 沃克斯独立观点 > 正文

阿波罗11号宇航员返地隔离那些事(1)

来源:可可英语 编辑:hepburn   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

"Zero, all engines running…One small step for man… We have a liftoff."

“零,所有引擎都在运转……一个人的一小步……点火。”

"Alright, I guess we should just say what's going on."

“好吧,我觉得我们应该给大家解释一下这个视频是怎么回事。”

"We thought it'd be a good time to talk about a part of the Apollo 11 mission that often gets overlooked,

“(是这样的,)我们栏目觉得现在这个时间刚好可以跟大家聊聊阿波罗11号任务期间一个经常被大家忽略了的小片段,

which was the quarantine: including time in a refitted Airstream trailer and a lab."

那就是几位宇航员返回地面后在一辆改装的Airstream房车和一个实验室里隔离的故事。

"You're gonna get to see some of the engineering that NASA's really famous for, but applied to a totally different problem,

“大家会看到,一些堪称NASA看家本领的工程技术被应用到了解决跟航天完全不相关的问题上,

which is: how do you keep a lunar plague from hitting the Earth?" "Yeah."

这个问题就是:如何防止月球上的时疫危害地球?”“没错。”

"We've done a few other episodes of this where one of us knows something, the other doesn't.

“关于这个问题,我们之前已经做过几期节目了,不过都是我们当中某一个人在研究,其他人就不怎么了解了。

This time, we've all just been cramming on quarantine facts about this Apollo 11 quarantine.

这次不一样,我们几个都在拼命地把阿波罗11号任务期间的这次隔离相关的知识往脑子里塞。

And seeing so many men in, like, short sleeve shirts."

还见到了这么多穿短袖的宇航员。”

"And we're gonna talk to Amy Teitel from Vintage Space, a channel that Phil and I both really like."

“这次我们还邀请了Vintage Space频道的Amy Teitel参与讨论,我和Phil我们两个都很喜欢她们的频道。”

"So yeah, this is the quarantine edition of History Club."

“嗯,没错,我们就是新冠版本的“历史俱乐部”。

"Yay."

“耶。”

"I wanted to talk about the stuff before we get with Amy though,

“不过,我还是想在Amy上线之前咱们先聊一下这个事情,

like about the period of the 20th century and vaccinations in general."

比如20世纪那时候的时代背景,以及疫苗接种的总体情况。”

"The moon landing is happening in July of 1969."

“那次登月的时间是1969年7月。”

"It was kind of an optimistic time in the middle of the 20th century:

“20世纪中叶算是比较乐观的一段时期:

measles, mumps, polio, these had all been beaten back and, like, we felt pretty good about being able to contain potential diseases.

麻疹、腮腺炎、脊髓灰质炎这些疾病都被我们降服了,大家对可能爆发的疾病能够得到控制这一点也都比较有信心。

Even though there's an extremely low probability that anything contaminated was on the moon,

即便被污染的东西被从月球带回来的可能性极低,

if there was even a chance that they could bring something back, it would be truly novel and potentially devastating to life on Earth."

但如果他们真的带点儿什么回来的话,那对地球上的生命来说都是非常新奇的,但也有可能给它们带来毁灭性的伤害。

"Alright, can you see that?"

“就是这儿,你看到了吗?”

"Yeah."

“看到了”

"Oh wait, this is the quote that I love.

“啊,骚等,这是我喜欢的一句话。

'They will be treated not as heroes, but as bearers of the most virulent devastating plague the world has ever known.'

‘他们不会被视为英雄,反而会被视为有史以来最致命的毁灭性瘟疫的携带者。’

I love that.

我超爱这句。

And plague is spelled wrong."

而且“瘟疫”这个词还拼错了。”

"This is how Venom in Spiderman got to Earth.

“《蜘蛛侠》里的毒液就是这么来到地球的。

So...this is important stuff.

所以……这个问题还挺重要的。

This is an idea that we've become very familiar with now,

这个概念我们现在已经很熟悉了,

because we have the coronavirus is so dangerous is because no human's ever had it before.

因为我们正在经历新冠肺炎,这个疫情真的太危险了,因为之前没有任何一个人得过这种病。

And if there were an alien lunar plague, no human had ever had it before, so it's kind of the same threat."

如果爆发个月球瘟疫,而人类之前是没有经历过的,那情况就和新冠肺炎差不多。”

"Which is why they took no chances and put them in quarantine.

“正因为如此,他们当时才不敢冒任何风险,才要把那些宇航员都隔离起来。

It's a very blunt approach, but it's really interesting that that was kind of like, this is our surest bet."

这个办法其实还挺笨的,但有意思的是,这已经是我们最有把握的赌注了。”

"They've developed the need for this quarantine, and then they've got this problem of how to logistically make it happen,

“他们先是发现了隔离这一需要,接着就陷入了具体如何操作的问题,

to get these astronauts from the middle of the ocean all the way to the lunar receiving lab in Houston."

也即如何把那些宇航员从大洋中央一路送到休斯顿的月球物质回收和回归宇航员检疫实验室。”

"With no exposure to Earth's environment at all."

“中途也不与外界发生任何接触。”

"Yes. In theory."

“没错,理论上是这样。”

"In theory."

“理论上。”

"Pete will be in the background."

“皮特在我后面呆着呢。”

"Hey Pete."

“皮特你好。”

"Hi Pete, nice to meet you."

“你好皮特,很高兴认识你呀。”

"He says 'meow.'

“他说‘喵’。”

I gave him some catnip so he's a little bit stoned right now, it's pretty fun."

我给了他一些猫薄荷,所以他现在有点醉了,好好笑。”

"Oh good."

“太好了。”

"And so this first clip that I have is...let me load it up."

“我想分享的第一个片段是……等我加载一下。”

"So what they're practicing is, they want to get the astronauts out of the command module and onto a helicopter basically,

“他们正在练习的是……他们想把宇航员从指挥舱里带出来然后弄到直升机上去,

with as little contamination as possible to try to preserve this quarantine.

尽可能减少污染并保持隔离。

It makes sense that they had to train to do this, but it's still crazy to think about it,

他们安排预演也是合理的,但现在来看还是让我感觉有点夸张,

that like you're going through this excitement of being about to go to the moon and you're training for how you're gonna get into your quarantine suit."

你明明刚刚才从月球上下来,正兴奋着呢,就又要训练怎么穿隔离服了。”

2

"But it does make sense, I mean, how bad would it be if the mission went off beautifully,

“但其实也是情有可原的,我是说,如果一开始任务都进行得很顺利,

everything was great, rah rah America landing on the moon,

一切都很棒,哇咔咔,美国登上月球啦,

and then they get back and they forget to put on the suit right and,

然后他们回来了,但他们忘了穿好隔离服,

like, someone falls in the ocean and then everyone gets sick.

结果,一个人掉进了海里,回来把所有人都给传染了,那岂不是很亏?

Like, womp womp, that'd be a big damper.

就感觉,呃……那就太扫兴了。

So, I kinda get it."

所以,我还挺理解他们的。”

"It's actually from when they were training with the B.I.G. suits, or Big suits."

“这是他们训练穿B.I.G.服或Big服时候的名牌。”

"And that's the Biological Isolation Garment, right?"

“全称是“生物隔离服”,是这个吧?”

"Yeah."

“是的”

"I've only read it, so I don't know how it was pronounced in conversation."

“我只是看到过,所以并不知道是怎么念的。”

"It'd be way too cumbersome to not just say Big Suit."

“如果不是念Big Suit,就太费劲了。”

"I know, right, especially NASA the land of the acronym."

“是吧!尤其还是NASA这个盛产缩写的地方。”

"So here they're all just kinda chilling, waiting to go through the training."

“这是他们在等着接受训练的亚子。”

"I do love how much all this footage shows, like, being an astronaut is a lot of sitting and listening quietly."

“我还挺喜欢这个视频的,因为它告诉我们,当一名宇航员,其实有很多时候都(并不是我们想象的那样,而)是静静地坐着听别人说话的。”

"Yeah." "Yeah. A lot of meetings."

“是的。”“同感。也要开很多会。”

"It looks like they brought it down upside down too."

“他们貌似还把隔离舱给弄翻了。”

"Yeah, they dumped it upside down and then inflated the balloons to flip it."

“是的,刚丢下去的时候上下是倒着的,后来靠给气球充气才把它翻过来。”

"And that flotation collar is exactly what it sounds like, it adds buoyancy and gives them a platform to step out of.

“按个漂浮项圈真的就像名字那样,给隔离舱增加了浮力,也给了他们一个平台外沿。

Because again, like we learned from Gus Grissom in 1961, right, when his hatch blew early, and the capsule filled with water and sunk.

因为我们从Gus Grissom那次着陆知道1961年,是1961年吧,他在着陆的时候他的安全舱口提前爆开了,结果舱里就进满了水,就沉了。

You kinda need to give some kind of barrier from the water rushing into this capsule,

所以,我们需要在太空舱的外面给它加一层屏障,防止水涌进舱里,

otherwise, again, you end on a very poor note after a great mission."

否则就会像之前那样,让一项伟大的任务虎头蛇尾地结束。”

"There's a very large issue that the whole quarantine thing in this move of, like, you just opened the capsule.

“整个隔离——从你打开太空舱那一刻开始算——过程都是非常重大的问题。

Quarantine for Apollo 11, and Apollo 12 as well, started the moment they closed the hatch after the lunar EVA. The moonwalk.

阿波罗11号——阿波罗12号也是一样——的隔离工作都是从宇航员们结束月球上的舱外活动,也即结束月球漫步,关上安全舱门的那一刻开始算的。

So everything that had been exposed was sealed up,

所有曝光的东西都要被密封起来,

and of course on the way back, you're not opening the capsule at all,

当然了,返回地球的路上他们也不用打开太空舱,

there's nothing to introduce anything new, no one's interacting with it,

也就不会将任何新的东西带入舱内,也没有人会接触到外面的东西,

so you've got this thing that's been sealed for like four days and you just opened up the air and then reseal it.

也就是说,在你打开舱门将其重新密封之前,这个东西就已经密封了差不多4天了。

Like...

就……

It's a bit of a weak link in the chain there, but there was no better option."

这时候堪称是整个链条中比较薄弱的一个环节,但除了这样,我们也没有更好的办法了。”

"They also, they sprayed them down, right, they threw the suits in, put them on, and then sprayed them with chemicals."

“他们还从头到脚喷(消毒剂)了对吧,就套上隔离服之后又喷了药。”

"And so, and so here that's them, they've gotten out, they're wearing the B.I.G. suits,

“接下来,那就是他们,他们已经出来了,也已经穿上B.I.G.服了,

and this is just a practice run, but this is pretty much how it happened.

这只是一次练习,但实际情况差不多也就是这样了。

And so then the next stage of their journey is,

接下来他们要做的就是

they're in their B.I.G. suits and they make it onto the USS Hornet, which is a big aircraft carrier.

穿着B.I.G.服,登上“大黄蜂号”航母,这是一艘巨大的航空母舰。

And their goal is to enter the Mobile Quarantine Facility, so that is the next video that I have lined up here."

他们的目标是进入移动隔离箱,这就是我准备放给大家的第二个视频。”

That's why up here it says Hornet + 3 on the Mobile Quarantine Facility because they are sort of...the astronauts are the additional three who are on the Hornet."

这就是为什么这个移动隔离箱上面写有‘大黄蜂+3’的原因,因为他们……因为这些宇航员是大黄蜂上新增的3名隔离人员。”

"Oh wait, I think this is the clip when they walk out in their suits, the guy just in a tie just sprays it down after.

“等一下,这就是他们穿着隔离服走出来,那个打领带的哥们儿立马就往地上喷了药的视频吧。

I love that."

爱了爱了。”

"And so the people who went in there, it was a doctor, William Carpentier,

“能够进到他们的隔离箱的有William Carpentier医生,

and then John Hiarasaki who was like the project engineer basically,

还有相当于这次隔离的项目工程师的John Hiarasaki,

and so those two guys are going inside and hanging out with these astronauts for the entire period the Mobile Quarantine Facility is traveling."

也就是说,移动隔离箱往休斯顿走的时候,他们两个一直都是和隔离箱里的宇航员待在一起的。”

重点单词   查看全部解释    
extremely [iks'tri:mli]

想一想再看

adv. 极其,非常

联想记忆
hatch [hætʃ]

想一想再看

n. 孵化,舱口
vt. 孵,孵出

 
clip [klip]

想一想再看

n. 夹子,钳,回形针,弹夹
n. 修剪,(羊

 
issue ['iʃju:]

想一想再看

n. 发行物,期刊号,争论点
vi. & vt

 
preserve [pri'zə:v]

想一想再看

v. 保存,保留,维护
n. 蜜饯,禁猎区

联想记忆
platform ['plætfɔ:m]

想一想再看

n. 平台,站台,月台,讲台,(政党的)政纲

联想记忆
blunt [blʌnt]

想一想再看

adj. 钝的,迟钝的,直率的
v. 使迟钝,

 
quarantine ['kwɔrənti:n]

想一想再看

n. 四十天,隔离,封锁交通,检疫期间 vt. 检疫,停

联想记忆
hatch [hætʃ]

想一想再看

n. 孵化,舱口
vt. 孵,孵出

 
conversation [.kɔnvə'seiʃən]

想一想再看

n. 会话,谈话

联想记忆

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。