手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 美国名师英文词汇视频课程 > 正文

有关健康和药物的习语

来源:可可英语 编辑:hoy   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet
自动
1X
默认
00:00:00 / 00:00:00
加载失败
0.5X
1X
1.25X
1.5X
2X
4X

Hi. Welcome to engVid. I'm Adam.

大家好,欢迎来到英格威英语学习网,我是亚当。

In today's video, I'm going to give you a few idioms from the health and medicine world.

在今天的视频中,我将给大家讲一些有关健康和医学的俚语。

Now, of course, you know idioms are collection of words that may or may not mean exactly what the words suggest.

现在,当然,你知道习语是单词的组合,在习语中,单词的意思可能与其原本的意思相同或者不完全相同。

So, these idioms can be literal, means... meaning they mean what they say, or they can mean something completely different.

所以,这些习语可以是字面意思,意思是...就是表面的意思,或者它们可能有完全不同的意思。

So, let's look at a few of these. "To give someone or to give something a black eye".

我们来看一些这种习语。来看“To give someone or to give something a black eye”。

Now, if you punch somebody right in the face... right in the eye, it will get all black and maybe close a little bit.

如果你打某人的脸...正好打到了眼睛上,它会变黑,可能会闭上一点。

We call this "a black eye". It's like a big bruise.

我们称之为“被打青的眼睛”。它就像一个大瘀伤。

This is a good word to know. A "bruise" is, like, when something goes black;

这是一个需要知道的好词。“瘀伤”是指,比如,某物变黑;

or if you go hit here and it gets all blue and black - that's a bruise.

或者如果你撞到这里,它会变成青色和黑色,那就是瘀伤。

So, that's a black eye. But "to give someone a black eye" can also mean to hurt someone's reputation. Okay?

所以,这就是被打青的眼睛。但是to give someone a black eye也可以指损害别人的声誉。

Or a thing, like a company or a network.

或者指损害一个事物的声誉,比如一个公司或者一个网络。

So, for example, a reporter misrepresented a certain story, and it turned out that this story was false, and so he...

例如,一个记者歪曲了一个故事,结果这个故事是假的,所以他...

this reporter gave the network or gave the news channel a black eye,

这个记者使其所在的电视台或新闻频道名誉受损。

which means that their reputation is a little bit questionable; now people maybe don't trust this news network anymore.

这意味着他们的名声有点问题;现在人们可能不再相信这个新闻网络了。

It could happen with a company, a government office, anything.

这可能发生在公司,政府机关,任何事情上。

If you do it to a person, you give someone a black eye means you hurt his or her reputation. Good.

如果你对一个人做了这件事,你“give someone a black eye”,这意味着你伤害了他或她的声誉。好。

"A bitter pill to swallow". So, a pill is like a little thing...

“吞下苦果”。药丸就是一个小东西...

when you're sick, you take a pill, you swallow it and it's... it usually doesn't taste good.

当你生病的时候,你吃一片药,你吞下它,而且它...它通常不好吃。

If you don't take it with water and drink it quickly, it's very bitter.

如果你不把它和水一起喝,而且喝得很快,它会很苦。

But we also use this idiom to mean that something is very difficult to accept. Okay?

但是我们也用这个习语来表示某事很难接受。

So, let's say I run a big company and I have to... it's a family company and I have a lot of staff,

假设我经营一家大公司,我必须...这是一个家族公司,我有很多员工,

and I like all my staff and they like me, but the company is not doing very well financially,

我喜欢我所有的员工,他们也喜欢我,但是公司的财务状况不是很好,

so I have to lay off; I have to fire a bunch of people, and that is a very bitter pill to swallow.

所以我不得不裁员;我不得不解雇一群人,那真是难以吞下的苦果。

I don't want to do it, but I have to. And they don't want to have to go, but they have to. Right?

我不想做,但我必须做。他们不想离开,但他们必须离开。

So it's a bitter pill to swallow. A more common example... let me give you another one:

所以这是一个难以吞下的苦果。一个更常见的例子是...让我再举一个例子:

I work as an editor and sometimes people bring me their writing,

我是一名编辑,有时人们给我带来他们的作品,

and some people are just not very good writers, and so I have to tell them they're not very good writers,

有些人不是很好的作者,所以我不得不告诉他们,他们不是很好的作者,

and that's a very bitter pill for them to swallow; they have a very difficult time accepting it. Okay?

这对他们来说是难以吞下的苦果;他们很难接受它。

That's one example. "Break out in a cold sweat".

这是一个例子。“出一身冷汗”。

So, when you have a fever; when your temperature is too high inside,

当你发烧时;当你体内温度过高时,

you're sweating - it means water is coming out of you, but you're cold at the same time.

你会出汗——这意味着水从你身上流出来,但同时你又觉得冷。

So, that's a "cold sweat". But we also use this idiom when we're afraid of something or we're very nervous about something.

所以,这就是“冷汗”。但是在我们很害怕某件事或者我们感到很紧张时也会使用这个习语。

So, I was walking with my girlfriend down the street,

我在陪我女朋友逛街,

and then I saw my other girlfriend coming the other direction. And suddenly I broke out in a cold sweat.

然后我看到我的另一个女朋友从另一个方向过来。我突然出了一身冷汗,

And my girlfriend said: "What's wrong?" and I said: "Nothing."

我女朋友说:“怎么了?”我说:“没什么。”

But she could see that it's a cold sweat - it means I'm afraid of something, and then she figured out what happened and I got into trouble.

但是她可以看出我出冷汗了-这意味着我在害怕什么东西,然后她知道发生了什么,我陷入了麻烦。

Just example. Okay? "A taste" or "a dose of one's own medicine".

只是例子好吧。“自食其果”。

So, the more common one is "taste", but sometimes you'll hear "dose".

更常见的是使用taste,但是有时你会听到使用dose

A "dose" is basically a portion, but we use it for a sickness.

“剂量”基本上是一部分,但我们用它来治疗疾病。

So: "a taste of one's own medicine"... when you take medicine, you take a dosage.

自食其果...当你吃药时,你会吃一定的剂量。

This is the other way you might see it. The amount that you have to take of the medicine.

这就是另外一种表达方式。你需要吃的药的剂量。

But as an idiom, what we talk about is when you do something,

但是作为一个习语时,我们谈论的是当你做某事时,

and it's usually something negative, to somebody or to other people,

它对某人或其他人来说通常是不好的,

and then suddenly that same thing is done to you - then that means you're getting a taste of your own medicine.

然后突然之间,同样的事情发生在你身上,这意味着你尝到了自食其果的滋味。

So, if I say some bad things about this person,

如果我说这个人的坏话,

and I spread it around and I tell everybody: "Oh, yeah, this person did this or that",

我把它传播开来,告诉每个人:“哦,是的,这个人做了这件事或那件事”,

and everybody thinks: "Okay, whatever."

每个人都想:“好吧,随便吧。”

And then somebody says it about me - everybody understands that I got a dose of my own medicine.

然后会有人说我——每个人都明白我是自食其果。

I shouldn't be talking about other people, because I don't like it when it happens to me; when somebody says something about me.

我不应该谈论别人,因为我不喜欢这种事发生在我身上;当有人说我的时候。

If you do something bad to other people, keep in mind it may happen to you,

如果你做了对别人不好的事情,记住它可能会发生在你身上,

and you'll have a taste of your own medicine and it doesn't taste good. Okay.

你会尝到自食其果的滋味,但并不好受。好吧。

"To rub salt in someone's wound". So, first of all a "wound". What is a "wound"?

“在某人的伤口上撒盐”。所以,首先看“伤口”。什么是“伤口”?

If you cut yourself, and your skin opens and you're bleeding, that is a wound.

如果你割伤了自己,皮肤裂开,流血了,那就是伤口。

Now, if you take salt, and you put salt and rub it in that wound, it's very, very painful. Okay?

如果你拿些盐,把盐擦在伤口上,你会非常非常疼。

"To rub salt in someone's wound" means to... if somebody's in a bad situation,

“在某人伤口上撒盐”的意思是...如果有人处境不好,

if somebody's hurt somehow, and you make it worse.

如果有人受伤了,你让情况变得更糟。

So, for example, my friend Bill just got fired from his job, so he's really depressed and he's really upset about it.

比如:“我的朋友比尔刚刚被公司解雇了,他非常沮丧,非常不高兴。”

有关健康和药物的习语.jpg

And then his wife came to him and said she's cheating on him with somebody and she wants a divorce.

然后他的妻子来找他,说她有外遇了,想要离婚。

So, she already knows he's in a bad situation, and she comes and rubs salt on it;

她已经知道他的处境很糟糕,而她还来给他撒盐;

she makes it even worse, and tells him he's worthless and that's why she's leaving him because he can't keep his job.

她让事情变得更糟,告诉他他一无是处,这就是她离开他的原因,因为他不能保住他的工作。

Okay? She's making it worse; she's rubbing salt in his wound. Okay?

她让事情变得更糟;她在他的伤口上撒盐。

Not very nice, but it does happen. We're going to look at a few more.

不是很好,但事情确实发生了。我们再来看一些习语。

Okay, we have a few more to go through. And, again, they're all from health, so I'll go through each one. "Just what the doctor ordered".

我们还有几个习语要学习。同样,它们都有关健康,所以我将一一讲述。“正合我意”。

So, when something good arrives, we say: "It's just what the doctor ordered."

当有好东西送来时,我们说:“这正是我要的。”

It's just what is needed at that particular time.

这既是我在这个时候需要的东西。

Now, in the hospital... if you have someone in the hospital and you go to them,

在医院里...如果有病人在医院,你去找他们,

and you say: "Oh, here's your medicine",

你说:“这是你的药”。

and the person says: -"What's this?" -"Oh, it's what the doctor ordered.

那个人说:“这是什么?”“哦,这是医生给你开的药。

This is what the doctor wants you to have." But in everyday life outside,

这就是医生给你开的药。”但在外面的日常生活中,

if something good comes just when you need it, you say: "Oh, just what the doctor ordered."

如果某样好东西正好在你需要的时候出现,你可以说:“噢,这正是我要的。”

So, for example, I'm at work and I'm working hard,

比如,我在工作,我工作很努力,

and I haven't had time to go for lunch, and my co-worker brings me a sandwich.

我还没有时间去吃午饭,我的同事给我带了一个三明治。

And I go: "Oh, thank you. This is just what the doctor ordered."

我说:“哦,谢谢你。这正是我想吃的东西。

Just what I needed right now. Okay? Or anything that's good that comes at the right time, we say this expression.

这正是我现在需要的。好吧?或者在任何在恰当的时间出现的好东西出现时,我们使用这个表达。

Now, these two I put together. They kind of go together; you can use them interchangeably.

我把下面这两个放在一起。它们是相辅相成的;它们可以互换使用。

"To get something out of your system" or "to scratch an itch".

To get something out of your system” 或 “to scratch an itch”。

Now, "to get something out of your system". When you're sick and you have, like, a virus or something going on,

现在来看:“To get something out of your system”。当你生病的时候,你感染了病毒或发生了什么事,

maybe you drink a lot of water and you hope to flush whatever the problem is outside of your system; outside of your body. Okay?

也许你喝了很多水,你希望解决你身体的问题;摆脱问题。

"To get something out of your system" can also mean to get it out of your head.

To get something out of your system”也指把东西赶出你的脑袋。

You have an urge or you have a desire, or you really want to do something,

如果你有一个冲动或者欲望,或者你真的想要什么东西,

and you're always thinking about it, thinking about it, thinking about it.

如果你总是想它,一直想它。

So, finally, the only way to get it out of your system,

最后,唯一摆脱它的方式,

to get it out of your head is to do it or to figure out a way to not think about it anymore.

摆脱它的方式就是去做这件事,或者找到一个方式不再想它的方式。

It's very similar to "scratch an itch".

它和“scratch an itch”非常相似。

So, first of all, if you think about an itch, this is a feeling you have on your body somewhere on your skin,

首先,如果你想到痒,这是一种你身体上皮肤某处的感觉,

and it's really annoying, and the only way to get rid of it is to scratch.

它真的很烦人,而摆脱它的唯一方法就是抓。

So, the action: "scratch"; the "itch" is the feeling.

行为就是“抓”;“痒”就是感觉。

"My arm itches" means it has that feeling, and I will scratch that feeling.

“我的胳膊痒”意思是它产生了这种感觉,我会去抓。

Same idea as before. You really, really want to do something,

和上一个意思一样。你真的想做某件事情,

you just can't get it out of your head, and the only way to get it out is to just scratch that itch.

你无法不停止想它,唯一解决的方式就是去抓痒的地方。

That itch is that particular thing that is... basically, it's itching your brain,

那种痒就是...你的大脑在痒,

and you can't scratch your brain so you have to do the thing to get it out of your system.

你不能抓你的大脑,所以你必须做的事情,把它从你的系统去掉。

So, I'll give you an example. Let's say you're on a diet and you're not supposed to have any sugar.

举个例子。假设你正在遵从一个饮食计划,你不能吃糖。

Then you're walking along and you pass by a bakery, and you see a beautiful donut in the window.

然后你走过一家面包店,你看到橱窗里有一个漂亮的甜甜圈。

It's chocolate with a little bit of sugar, and maybe stuffed inside with some custard cream.

它是加了一点糖的巧克力,里面可能会塞一些奶油冻。

And you say: "You know what? I can't. I can't", so you walk away.

你说:“你知道吗?我不能。我做不到,所以你走开了。

But then the rest of the day: "Donut. Donut. Donut. Donut", that's all you're thinking about is that donut.

但接下来的一天:“甜甜圈。甜甜圈。甜甜圈。你脑子里想的都是甜甜圈。

And you're... it's starting to make you a little bit crazy.

这开始让你有点疯狂了。

And all your friends, all you talk to them about is: "Donuts. Donuts. Donuts".

你所有的朋友,你跟他们说的都是“甜甜圈。甜甜圈。甜甜圈”。

So, finally your friend says: "You know what? Just scratch that itch.

最后你的朋友说:“你知道吗?挠痒痒就好了。

Eat that donut, get it out of your system, and then go on with your diet.

吃了那个甜甜圈,把它从你的身体里排出来,然后继续你的饮食。

Have a cheat day." Okay? So: "scratch that itch", eat the donut - get it out of your system; stop thinking about it.

作弊一天吧。”好吧?所以:“挠痒痒”,吃甜甜圈——让它离开你的身体;别想了。

And I put these two together as well. "To black out" means to lose consciousness.

我把这两个放在一起。“To black out”意思是失去知觉。

Now, you could faint and black out that way; or for some reason,

你可能会晕过去;或者出于某种原因,

like, maybe you're in a very scary situation or a very stressful situation and you black out.

比如,你可能处在一个非常可怕的情况下,或者在一个非常紧张的情况下,你失去了知觉。

It means inside your head it's all black; you don't remember anything, you don't think anything, nothing happens.

它的意思是在你的脑子里全是黑色的;你什么都不记得,什么都不想,什么都没发生。

"Out cold" is a very physical situation where you're unconscious.

Out cold”是一种无意识的身体状况。

So, if a brick... you're walking by a construction site and a brick from the building falls on your head,

如果一块砖...当你路过一个建筑工地时,一块砖头从建筑物上掉下来砸在你的头上,

and you're on the ground out cold; not conscious, not aware of anything.

你躺在冰冷的地上;失去意识,意识不到任何事情。

So, technically, they're more or less the same, except to black out you don't necessarily need to pass out;

严格来讲,它们差不多是一样的,除了在black out的情况下,你不一定要晕过去。

you can just black out and still be sitting or standing, and not know what's going on. Okay?

你可以只是black out,但仍然坐着或站着,却不知道发生了什么。

Very common situation, unfortunately. So, I hope you understood all of these; I hope they were pretty clear.

很不幸,这是很常见的情况。我希望你们都能理解;我希望它们都很清楚。

If you go to www.engvid.com, and there's a quiz there you can practice these idioms to make sure you understand how to use them.

如果你登录www.engvid.com,那里有一个小测验,你可以练习这些习语来确保你理解如何使用它们。

You can also any questions you may have in the forum, there.

你也可以在论坛里提出任何问题。

Don't forget to subscribe to my channel, and come back... come back soon

别忘了订阅我的频道,回来收看...

and we'll have some more great videos for you. Bye-bye.

更多更棒的视频。再见。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
literal ['litərəl]

想一想再看

adj. 逐字的,字面上的,文字的
n. 错误

联想记忆
understand [.ʌndə'stænd]

想一想再看

vt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为<

 
portion ['pɔ:ʃən]

想一想再看

n. 部分,份,命运,分担的责任

联想记忆
network ['netwə:k]

想一想再看

n. 网络,网状物,网状系统
vt. (

 
worthless ['wə:θlis]

想一想再看

adj. 无价值的,无用的,可鄙的

 
particular [pə'tikjulə]

想一想再看

adj. 特殊的,特别的,特定的,挑剔的
n.

联想记忆
channel ['tʃænl]

想一想再看

n. 通道,频道,(消息)渠道,海峡,方法
v

联想记忆
swallow ['swɔləu]

想一想再看

n. 燕子,吞咽,一次吞咽的量
vt. 吞下,

联想记忆
punch [pʌntʃ]

想一想再看

n. 打洞器,钻孔机,殴打
n. (酒、水、糖

联想记忆
faint [feint]

想一想再看

n. 昏厥,昏倒
adj. 微弱的,无力的,模

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。

    ckplayer

    version:X2