Welcome to English in a Minute.
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目
We all know it's important to have good friends in your life.
众所周知,在我们的生活中,有一些好朋友是很重要的
But this phrase doesn't seem to encourage friendship:
但这个词组似乎对友谊不太友好
Have you met the new guy, Crisp?
你有见过新来的家伙吗?叫克里斯普?
I have.
是的,我见过他了
And I am gonna keep him at arm's length.
我要和他保持一定的距离
What? Why?
什么?为啥呢?
I mean what do you have against Crisp?
我是说你对克里斯普有什么不满?
Johnathan, it's for my own protection.
乔纳森,这是出于自我保护
I've known a lot of Crisps.
我认识很多像克里斯普这样的人
And they've all broken my heart.
他们都很伤我的心
You've met other Crisps?
你之前遇到过其他像克里斯普这样的人?
If you "keep someone at arm's length",
如果你“与别人之间隔着一个手臂的长度”
You keep a distance between you and that person...
那就意味着你跟那个人保持一定距离
like the length of an arm!
这距离就跟一个手臂的长度一样!
You can keep an actual physical distance,
你可以保持一个实际意义上的身体距离
or an emotional distance...
或者一个情感上的距离
like Anna does with guys named Crisp.
就像安娜对克里斯普那样
And that's English in a Minute.
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目