Now this seems a bit strange. Economic growth seems to have really helped in the fight against poverty,
这看起来就有点奇怪了。经济的增长看起来对解决贫穷问题帮助很大,
but it doesn't seem to be having much impact on trying to get to the Global Goals.
但它似乎并不能对我们达到全球目标有多大的帮助。
So what's going on? Well, I think there are two things.
那这是怎么回事呢?我觉得有两个原因。
The first is that in a way, we're the victims of our own success.
其一是,在某种程度上,我们是我们取得的成功的受害者。
We've used up the easy wins from economic growth, and now we're moving on to harder problems.
我们把从经济增长中获得的表面上的好处都用光了,现在我们就得面临更加困难的问题。
And also, we know that economic growth comes with costs as well as benefits.
其二,我们知道经济增长带来了好处,但同时也带来了代价。
There are costs to the environment, costs from new health problems like obesity.
比如破坏环境的代价,还有比如产生了如肥胖等一些新健康问题的代价。
So that's the bad news. We're not going to get to the Global Goals just by getting richer.
这就是个坏消息了。所以如果想仅凭变得更富就到达全球目标是不可行的了。
So are the pessimists right? Well, maybe not.
那么那些悲观主义者就是正确的吗?其实,应该不是。
Because the Social Progress Index also has some very good news.
因为关于“社会进步指数”也有很多好消息。
Let me take you back to that regression line.
咱们再看一下那条回归曲线。
So this is the average relationship between GDP and social progress, and this is what our last forecast was based on.
这是国内生产总值和社会进步之间的平均关系水平曲线,这也是我们上一个预测的基础。
But as you saw already, there is actually lots of noise around this trend line.
但正如你们看到的,在这条曲线周围其实还有很多不在线上的点。