Okay, so an aquatic, earthquake-resistant beehive that grows outward like a snowflake?
明白了,就是能够像雪花一样向外扩展的水上抗震蜂巢是吧?
I’m on board.
我赞成。
But without worker bees and a queen, how does this colony sustain itself?
问题是,没有工蜂和蜂王,这个蜂群如何维持生存呢?
You could harness energy if you had a decent wind source through offshore wind turbines.
如果有像样的风源的话,你可以通过海上风力涡轮发电机采集风能啊。
There's also this technology called OTEC, basically what it does is that
还有一种叫做“海水温差发电”(OTEC)的技术,大致就是
it takes the differential between the surface temperature of the sea and deeper waters to drive cooling that creates an energy source.
利用海洋表面海水和深层海水之间的温差来驱动冷却来发电。
In addition to wind turbines, oceanix city will rely on solar panels and wave energy.
除了风力涡轮发电机,漂浮城市还会通过太阳能电池板和波浪能发电。
But what the team believes is most crucial is a mix of high- and low-tech solutions, plus some minor lifestyle adjustments by its residents.
但该团队认为,最关键的是高科技和低技术的结合,以及居民生活方式的一些“细微”调整。
The plan is to embrace a plant-based diet.
我们这项计划主推植物性饮食。
When you eliminate animals from a diet, we can, right off the bat, start saving our resources of land and water.
当你把动物从你的从饮食中剔除之后,我们马上就可以开始节约土地和水资源了。
We are relying on greenhouses, orchards, and also aquaponics and aeroponics systems which will be used within the platforms.
我们有温室、果园,以及未来会投放使用的水培系统和气栽系统。
We are going to reduce the amount of waste we create by having reusable packaging throughout the island and have as little waste created as possible.
我们会通过在全岛范围内使用可重复使用的包装来减少我们制造的浪费,并通过回收利用,再利用,堆肥等方式
we will recycle, we will reuse, and we will compost.
尽可能减少产生的浪费。
Though this may just seem like a quick fix for our overdevelopment problem, oceanix wants to consider long-term solutions that help the marine ecosystem too.
尽管oceanix这一项目看似只为我们的过度开发问题提供了一个权宜之计,但探索有益于海洋生态系统的长远解决方案也是他们的希望。
You would really want cutouts to allow sunlight to penetrate.
你会真的想剪去海里的部分植物,因为那样才能让阳光透下去。
In terms of the pontoon structures,
就浮筒来说,
some of them use gill technology that allows water to actually pass through the structure minimizing the impact on the environment.
有一些浮筒采用了鱼鳃技术,这样水就能直接从浮筒里流过,最大限度地降低城市对环境的影响。
we're working with the Global Coral Reef Alliance on a technology called biorock, which takes a steel cage, puts a very small amount of electricity into it.
我们还在和全球珊瑚礁联盟合作研发一种叫做“生物石”的技术,只需要圈一个钢制笼,给它通上很小的电流,
that electrical charge helps attract mineral deposits, which then attract coral and marine life.
就能吸引矿藏,继而吸引珊瑚和海洋生物。
By building up reefs, and itself acting as a kind of wave break,
这些珊瑚礁能起到防波堤的作用,
it can actually start to help dampen the effects of storm surge, and waves, and erosion on existing coastlines.
帮助削弱风暴潮、海浪及其对现有海岸线的侵蚀。
I think what floating structures offer is quite a good intimacy with the water.
在我看来,漂浮城市提供的是与水的亲密接触。
there's almost the sense of accountability or ownership of that particular patch of ocean that you want to preserve.
让你对你想要保护的那片海洋产生一种责任感或是拥有感。
But what it seems everyone is after as they float these proposals… is a chance to start fresh.
但大家当初提出这些建议的时候,他们追求的……似乎是一个重新开始的机会。
The modular approach to this design allows the city to kind of flex its muscles in different ways,
我们采用的这种模块式设计让这座城市的各个组成部分都能够灵活地组合,
and fit the needs not only of the city itself, but of the coastal city that it's adjacent to.
在满足城市本身的需求的同时还能满足临近沿海城市的需求。
The lessons that we learn on the water, how we're growing food within a more compact footprint, how we're generating our energy,
我们已经从这个水上项目汲取了一些经验,比如如何在更紧凑的地方种植作物,如何制造能源,
how we're dealing with our waste are then lessons that can actually then be exported back to land.
如何处理废物,这些经验就可以拿回来反哺陆地生活模式。
But we won’t immediately jump into a full-fledged city right off the bat.
但我们也不会马上进入成熟的漂浮城市的模式。
These projects could start out in a few different ways.
这些项目可以以不同的方式出发。
if you're talking about satellite installations,
如果我们讨论的是卫星安装,
you would really be looking at the biggest corporations in existence right now, which are tech companies.
那你就要从当前最大型的企业,也就是科技企业着手。
Something like google or facebook creating a campus or a massive data center on a floating platform off somewhere.
比如谷歌或Facebook又在某个地方的漂浮平台上创建了一个校园或是一个大型数据中心啦。
In a lot of ways, i think disney would be perhaps the best candidate for creating a floating resort city.
我觉得,从很多方面来看,迪士尼都是创建漂流游乐城的最佳之选。
Maybe the first sort of larger village for oceanix could be something like a university.
或许,Oceanix打造的第一个大型村庄会是一个大学之类的东西。
So… how close are we to living in the ocean?
那,我们距离真正在海洋里生活究竟还有多远呢?
I think we're closer than you might think.
我觉得比你可能以为的要近。
Once we have a partnership with an interested city or state,
一旦同感兴趣的城市或州建立起合作关系,
we'll be able to pretty quickly get a first prototype in the water and then really just build on it from there.
我们就能很快地在水里打造出我们的第一个原型,然后在它的基础上进行扩充。
We work on a lot of different kinds of climate change adaptation projects.
我们还参与了许多不同类型的气候变化适应项目。
In the case of New York city, we have a really dense, existing coastal neighborhood.
就拿纽约来说,这是一个人口非常密集的海滨城市。
But what the oceanix city provides is a tool to adapt.
但我们的漂浮城市提供的是一种适应工具。
I think we will see a lot of cities expand onto floating parts of themselves in the next 20 years.
我觉得,未来20年,我们会看到许多城市往水上扩张。
The technology is there.
因为技术已经有了。
let's try and make sure that we don't need for it to be so pressing before we actually create these structures.
让我们试着确保我们在真正打造出漂浮城市之前,对它们的需求不那么迫切。
Let’s create it in anticipation of the need that will come.
让我们在需要它们之前就把它们预先打造出来。
For more episodes of 'how close are we?' make sure to check out this playlist,
想知道更多“我们距离……还有多远”系列,请查看有关节目列表,
and let us know in the comments what you want to see us investigate next.
请在评论里告诉我们你希望我们接下来制作的内容。
Thanks for watching!
感谢大家的收看!