Baking is my communication tool with American people.
烘焙是我同美国人沟通的方式。
I'm not so good to speak English, but I can make a good dessert.
我英语不是很好,但我会做美味的甜点。
So during the holiday, I'm always making a Japanese Christmas shortcake.
假期的时候,我通常都会做日式圣诞蛋糕。
I'm Nico Tortorella.
我是尼科·托托雷拉。
I'm an actor, an activist and a firm believer that our differences actually make us stronger.
我是一名演员、活动家,我坚信,人与人之间的不同能够让我们变得更加强大。
I'm on a journey with IKEA to meet real people and discover the diverse and spectacular ways they celebrate the holidays.
这次,我和宜家一起,踏上了一段邂逅真人真事,去发现不同的人群彼此不同却同样精彩的庆祝节日的方式的旅程。
Maybe you celebrate Christmas with milk and cookies and a Christmas ham.
或许,你庆祝圣诞节的方式是牛奶、饼干和圣诞火腿。
Or maybe you celebrate it with fried chicken and cake like Portland resident Mio Asaka.
或许你和波特兰居民浅坂美雄一样,庆祝圣诞节的方式是炸鸡和蛋糕。
My name is Mio Asaka. I'm a baker and owner of Mio's Delectables.
我是浅坂美雄。是“美雄烘焙屋”的糕点师兼老板。
Mio runs a mini Japanese bakery right out of her own home and sells her goods at the Portland Farmers’ Market.
美雄在自己家开了一间小型的日式面包房,但她也会把自家的糕点拿到波特兰农贸市场去卖。
Mio has this real passion for baking and sharing the traditions that she brought from Japan.
美雄非常热爱烘焙,也非常热爱分享她从日本带来的传统。
Her specialty: the Japanese Christmas cake.
她的绝活儿是:日式圣诞蛋糕。
We should probably go get some strawberries for this cake, huh? Yeah, yeah.
我们是不是应该准备点儿草莓啊?是的,是的。
Wow, hi. How are you?
哈,你好。你好。
Mio's Delectables isn't just a business for Mio.
对美雄来说,“美雄烘焙屋” 不止是她的生意。
It's a way for her to share her traditions and culture with other people and to really bring people together, especially during the holidays.
也是她与他人分享她的传统和文化 ,把大家聚在一起,尤其是节日期间,的一种方式。
Hi! How are you?
你好,你好。
Good to see you. Good to see you. Welcome. Come in.
很高兴见到你。彼此彼此。欢迎欢迎,快请进。
I come bearing gifts.
我给你带了礼物。
Oh, wow.
哇,谢谢。
My Christmas tree is like this size tree, but I always decoration. You have to enjoy that.
我的圣诞树大概只有这么大,但我会经常装饰它。你需要去享受那个过程。
This is your son here?
这是你儿子吗?
Yes. Willie?
是的。是叫威利吗?
William. William.
叫威廉。威廉是吧。
I admire Mio for being a single mother who works hard to create a warm, inviting and loving home for her family.
我很钦佩美雄,作为一个单身母亲,为了给家庭创造一个温暖、温馨、有爱的环境,她真的很拼。
Ta-da!
好啦!
Japanese Christmas is pretty unique.
日本的圣诞节其实比较不一样。
For a while, it was a really romantic holiday in Japan, kind of like Valentine's Day in the United States. Romance.
过去,圣诞节在日本是一个非常浪漫的节日,跟美国的情人节差不多。浪漫。
Fried chicken is really popular. Karaage.
圣诞节期间,炸鸡是很受欢迎。炸鸡。
And dessert—Christmas cake, especially—is a focal point for Japanese Christmas.
甜点——尤其是圣诞蛋糕——则是日本人过圣诞节的一大亮点。
When I came to the U.S., I didn't know that this country not familiar with Japanese style type of cake,
刚来美国的时候,我不知道这个国家对日式蛋糕其实是不太了解的,
so I explained this cake is a very soft and not too sweet.
当时我就给大家解释,这个蛋糕就是比较软又不太甜的蛋糕。
Now it is very popular.
现在我的蛋糕已经很受欢迎了。
This looks so beautiful.
看起来真漂亮!
Japanese Christmas cake originated in post-World War II Japan.
日式圣诞蛋糕起源于二战后的日本。
Middle-class citizens finally had access to sugar and other ingredients that had once been considered exclusive.
当时,日本的中产阶级终于能够用上糖之类的食材了,而那些食材过去是专供的。
And from this, the tradition was born.
自那以后,日式圣诞蛋糕的传统就诞生了。
All right, it's time to eat.
好了,该吃饭了。
Japanese Christmas is an important day.
日本的圣诞节是一个非常重要的日子。
We eat a big dinner with our family.
我们会和家人一起吃一顿丰盛的晚餐。
It's very much like the U.S., but we eat sushi and karaage.
这点跟美国很像,但是我们吃的是寿司和炸鸡。
Do you have any traditions before a Christmas meal?
在享用圣诞大餐前,还有什么传统是要注意的吗?
We say "i ta da ki ma si" Bon appetit.
我们会说“i ta da ki ma si”,“祝你有个好胃口”的意思。
Bon appetit.
祝你有个好胃口。
Mio is pretty inspiring.
美雄是个非常励志的人。
She truly embodies the tradition represented by something as simple as a cake.
她就代表了那种像蛋糕这么简单的事物所代表的传统。
Japanese Christmas cake is a symbol for prosperity and growth,
日式圣诞蛋糕是兴旺和成长的象征,
qualities that Mio really brings to life every time she bakes this cake for her friends and family.
而这些品质也随着美雄每次为朋友和家人做这个蛋糕而有了生命。
There you have it, folks. Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer.
好了。哈,你唱的是《红鼻子驯鹿鲁道夫》。