This Great Big Story was made possible by the Singapore Tourism Board.
感谢新加坡旅游局对本期《伟大的故事》的大力支持。
We try to push the boundaries of which ingredients can be used in a cocktail.
我们试图突破鸡尾酒成分的界限。
We've used ants to grasshoppers to kimchi, and we've even used salmon roe in one of our cocktails.
我们用过蚂蚁,用过蚱蜢,用过泡菜,甚至还用过三文鱼鱼籽来调鸡尾酒。
We are one of the only bars in the world that focuses on using ingredients in the way that we do.
全世界专注于像我们这样运用食材的酒吧没几家,我们家就算一个。
My name is Vijay Mudaliar, and I'm the co-owner of Native.
我是伟杰·马达利尔,是Native酒吧的合伙人。
We're a cocktail bar based in Singapore that focuses on working with foraging ingredients.
我们是新加坡的一家专注于寻找新奇食材的鸡尾酒酒吧。
So I've been foraging for about three years now.
我已经在这条道路上摸索了快三年了。
As a younger bar tender, I was always interested in like unique imported ingredients.
以前当调酒师的时候,我就一直对独特的进口成分之类的东西很感兴趣。
The environment in Singapore is quite diverse; sometimes we do a bit of urban foraging.
新加坡的环境是非常多元的;有的时候我们也会在城市里寻找我们的食材。
We also go out into the forested areas and we also go down to the coastal lines to
get things like seaweeds and clams.
我们也会到树林里,或者到海边去采集海草和蛤蜊。
Using some of these unusual
ingredients we can get certain interesting flavors.
我们能从这些不同寻常的食材中提取出某些特别有意思的味道。
The forage ants, for example, contain formic acid, so when you pop them, they taste like little limes or lemons because of the acidity.
比如草料蚁富含甲酸,所以,用它们调出来的鸡尾酒会有股酸橙或者柠檬的味道,因为有甲酸嘛。
For grasshoppers, what comes out is this like miso, vegemite, soy flavor, which has a real savory note to it.
用蚂蚱调出来的鸡尾酒则有味噌、维吉麦还有大豆的味道,口感非常棒。
Our cocktail making process lasts four to six months.
我们的鸡尾酒的调制过程长达四到六个月。
It usually starts from an idea that is based on a tradition, culture, location or the environment.
并且通常是从基于传统、文化、地点或环境的某个想法出发的。
For example, our Peranakan cocktail is based off the local Peranakan culture and is inspired by one of the desserts called the quay salad.
打个比方,我们土生华人的鸡尾酒是基于当地的土生华人文化,灵感来自一种叫做码头沙拉的甜点。
We use pandan and laksa leaf from a local organic farmer;
我们选用的是当地有机农户供应的香兰叶和叻沙叶;
a jackfruit rum, so we're using foraged jackfruit; also goat's milk from a local goat's farm.
调菠萝蜜朗姆酒的话会用菠萝蜜;还有当地山羊农场产的羊奶。
The enzymes in the jackfruits curdles the milk, and we get a clear cocktail.
菠萝蜜中的酶能够使牛奶凝固,这样就能调出一杯清澈的鸡尾酒。
We try to incorporate those ingredients that have been used culturally for over a hundred years.
我们想把那些固定使用历史已经有一百多年的食材融合起来。
What I like about incorporating foraging ingredients is that it allows us to understand our environment a lot better and to find forgotten ingredients in our culture.
我喜欢把采摘来的食材融合在一起,是因为这样做能让我们更好地了解我们的环境,找到我们文化里那些已经被遗忘的食材。
Hopefully in the next few years, the idea of foraging won't feel so new.
希望未来的几年里,采食的想法就不那么新鲜了。
I think people want to experience their location, and when people are traveling the world, they want to have a sense of identity at the place where they are.
在我看来,大家是想要感受当地的特质的,大家是想在世界各地旅游的时候,所到之处能获得一种身份认同。