手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语视频听力 > 畅游海底世界 > 正文

南极洲潜水之旅(上)

来源:可可英语 编辑:kelly   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

Coming up on Jonathan Bird's Blue World, Jonathan heads to Antarctica at the bottom of the Earth to explore the incredible wilderness and marine life of this frozen continent!

接下来是乔纳森·伯德的蓝色世界,乔纳森将前往地球南端的南极洲,探索冰冻大陆这片荒野之地地和海洋生物。
Don't go away!
不要走开
Hi, I'm Jonathan Bird and welcome to my world!
嗨,大家好,我是乔纳森·伯德,欢迎来到我的世界!
Antarctica! The frozen continent.
南极洲,冰冻大陆。
Its hostile conditions and exotic marine life are legendary.
传说这里环境恶劣,有着独有的海洋生物。
For years I have yearned to travel to the bottom of the Earth to see this magnificent frozen world for myself.
多年来,我一直渴望亲自到地球的底部去看看这个壮丽的冰雪世界。
And finally, I've done it.
最后,我来到了这个地方。
Getting from the United States all the way to Antarctica bottom of the Earth take nearly a week.
从美国到地球的南极需要将近一个星期的时间。
And it starts with a flight to Ushuaia, Argentina at the tip of Tierra Del Fuego
首先乘坐飞往乌斯怀亚的航班,
Often called the gateway to Antarctica, Ushuaia is a beautiful little coastal city in Patagonia at the base of a large mountain range.
乌斯怀亚是巴塔哥尼亚一个美丽的海滨小城,位于大山脉的底部,常被称为南极之门。
Many of the ships departing for Antarctica use Ushuaia as their port.
许多驶往南极洲的船只使用乌斯怀亚港作为港口。
Ushuaia is surrounded by a large National Park.
乌斯怀亚四周是大型国家公园。
Rugged, craggy mountains tower above Ushuaia.
乌斯怀亚的群山崎岖不平。
They're beautiful, but of course, I'm more interested in the underwater scenery.
这里的山很美,当然,我对水下风景更感兴趣。
So, I'm spending a day in Ushuaia to do a couple dives in the Beagle Channel.
我在乌斯怀亚待了一天,为的是在比格尔海峡潜水几次。
The Beagle channel is a long, narrow passage of water protected by land on both sides.
比格尔海峡是一条狭长的水道,两边都是陆地。
Well, we're finally going to go diving in Ushuaia and I'm really excited to try to see something that they're famous for.
好了,我们终于要去乌斯怀亚潜水了,能去看看著名的景物我真的很兴奋。
You mostly see it in the restaurants downtown, but I want to see it alive—the giant King Crab.
你在市区的餐馆里经常能看到巨大的帝王蟹,但我想看到它活着的样子。
Captain Carlos from Ushuaia Divers unties the boat from the dock and we're on our way, under a beautiful blue sky.
在美丽的蓝天下,来自乌斯怀亚的卡洛斯船长把船从码头上解开,我们就出发了。
It's summer here in the southern hemisphere, and even though Ushuaia is very far south, the air temperature regularly makes it into the 60 degree range, sometimes even the 70s.
南半球现在是夏天,尽管乌斯怀亚在非常遥远的南部,但那里的气温通常会达到60度,有时甚至达到70度。
The water temperature is more like 45 degrees…about what I'm used to diving at home in New England.
水温大概是零下45度,和我在新英格兰潜水时的温度差不多。
That means I will be wearing my dry suit time to get ready.
这意味着我要穿上干式潜水服。
It keeps the water out with an airtight zipper like the one on a space suit.
这衣服上有一个密封的拉链,就像太空服上的拉链一样,可以防水。
Unfortunately, the dry suit is quite buoyant from all the air inside, so I have to wear a lot of weight to submerge.
不幸的是,这件衣服里面空气的浮力很大,所以我得穿很重的衣服才能下潜。
My gear is cumbersome and heavy, but that's the price you pay to dive in cold water.
我的装备很重,但这是在冷水中潜水的代价。
Alright!I'm ready!
好了,我准备好了
Well, let's go check it out!
我们去看看吧!
Underwater, the Beagle Channel is beautiful—filled with huge kelp forests stretching towards the surface.
水下的比格尔海峡是美丽的——满是巨大的海藻林,延伸至水面。
This kelp is a kind of fast-growing algae that can grow several feet in length every day.
这种海藻生长迅速,每天可以长几英尺长。
Swimming through the kelp is really fun.
在海藻中游泳真的很有趣。
I feel like Indiana Jones exploring a wild jungle.
我觉得像是印第安纳·琼斯在探索一个野生丛林。
The kelp can grow tall without a strong trunk because it floats, thanks to these little air pockets at the base of each leaf.
海藻没有强壮的树干也能长得很高,因为它能浮在水面上,这要归功于每片叶子底部的小气囊。
The kelp is so thick, it blocks out the sun.
海藻太厚了,挡住了阳光。
As I look around the bottom, I see there are lots of other things growing here, like a variety of sponges encrusting this rock outcropping.
当我环视岩石底部时,我看到这里生长着许多其它东西,比如各种各样的海绵体包裹着露出地表的岩石。
But clearly, the Beagle Channel's most impressive animals are the crabs.
但很明显,比格尔海峡令人印象最深刻的动物是螃蟹。
Everywhere I look, crabs jump out of my way as I approach.
我看到的每一处,螃蟹都会在我靠近的时候跳出来。
Most of them are these little red crabs with a body about the size of a quarter.
多数是些小红蟹,大概硬币那么大。
But there are also decorator crabs, covered in camouflage, apparently willing to hunt the smaller crabs.
但也有伪装的蟹,覆盖起来,显然它要捕捉小蟹。
And another crab, climbing the kelp to safety.
还有一只螃蟹,爬上海藻到达安全的地方。
But at last I find what I came for—the crab that rules this patch of ocean—the King Crab.
但我终于找到了我想要寻找的——统治这片海域的帝王蟹。
Although they get much bigger than this, even this small one is a quite a handful.
虽然帝王蟹比这个大得多,但这只小的也是相当少的。
After I put it down, the crab takes off through the seaweed on the bottom.
我把它放下后,它就穿过底部的海藻逃走了。
Finally settling back to pose for my camera again.
最后我又回去将相机摆好。

海底世界

At the end of my dive, I surface from the land of the crabs and we enjoy a surface interval on a small island in the channel.

潜水结束时,我从螃蟹之地浮出水面,我们在海峡的一个小岛上享受了一段水面休息时光。
The views of the surrounding area are beautiful.
周围的景色很美。
Patagonia is just gorgeous!
巴塔哥尼亚太漂亮了!
As much as I have enjoyed Ushuaia, the following morning finds me rolling my gear down the dock for my departure to Antarctica.
虽然我很喜欢乌斯怀亚,但第二天早上我在码头整理好行装准备出发前往南极洲。
My home away from home: the Aleksey Marychev, a 210 foot long Russian research vessel with an ice-strengthened hull.
远离故土,乘坐Aleksey Marychev号,一艘210英尺长的俄罗斯科考船,船体由冰加固。
I meet the staff of the ship, who luckily for me speak English quite well, and then it's time to board.
我遇到了船上的工作人员,幸运的是我的英语说的很好,是时候上船了。
I'll have plenty of time to put my gear together on the long run to Antarctica.
我将有足够的时间配备好装备,我们要去南极洲,开始一段漫长的旅程。
A little later, they untie us from the dock, and it's time to embark on the trip of a lifetime!
过了一会儿,他们把我们的船只从码头上解开,是时候踏上旅程了!
On our way down the Beagle Channel to open water, we pass a small rock island covered in South American Sea Lions.
在我们沿着比格尔海峡前往开阔水面的途中,我们经过一个覆盖着南美海狮的岩石小岛。
And then we pass the famous Beagle Channel Lighthouse.
然后我们经过著名的比格尔海峡灯塔。
After leaving the Beagle Channel, we will round Cape Horn into the Drake Passage and make our way more than 600 miles south until we reach the protection afforded by end of the Antarctic Peninsula.
离开比格尔海峡后,我们将绕过合恩角进入德雷克海峡,向南行驶600多英里,直至到达南极半岛尽头的保护地。
Until then, we are at the mercy of some of the most violent and unpredictable seas in the world.
在那之前,我们的命运掌握在世界变幻莫测的天气和狂暴海洋的手中。
From the bridge, the first officer drives the ship with a confidence that comes from many years of making this journey.
在舰桥上,副机师驾驶着这艘船,他航行多年,自信满满。
Our progress is charted on a map by a GPS.
我们的行进状况在GPS上标示出来。
So far the weather has been mild and the seas calm.
到目前为止,天气温和,海面平静。
The Drake Passage is considered the roughest section of water in the world, and boy did we get lucky today!
德雷克海峡被认为是世界上最恶劣的水域,我们今天真幸运!
Later the fog closes in but the sea remains calm.
后来雾渐渐消散,但大海依然平静。
I have almost three days of this until we get there.
还有三天时间我们就到达目的地。
Even my tiny cabin isn't too uncomfortable for a nap.
即使是小木屋,小憩一下也很舒服。
The next day the sun is out, but we still aren't there!
第二天太阳出来了,我们仍然没有到达!
You know two and a half days is a long time to be sitting on a ship with nothing to do, but when we get to Antarctica, it's gonna be worth it.
两天半坐在船上无所事事,感觉时间很长,但是当我们到达南极洲时,这是值得的。
Yet another day to go, I'm running out of things to do.
还有一天,我无事可做。
Hello?
你好?
Can you hear me now ?
能听见我吗?
Hello?
你好?
Forget about it
算了吧,
At last, land appears in the distance!
最后,远方出现了陆地!
We made it to Antarctica!
我们成功到达南极了!
The ship is covered in a fresh layer of snow, but the sun is trying to burn through the clouds.
船上覆盖着一层新雪,但太阳正试图穿过云层。
Icebergs float by.
冰山漂浮在海面。
I can hardly believe my eyes!
我简直不敢相信我的眼睛!
I'm actually here!
我真的到了这里!
And we don't waste any time.Our dive team starts suiting up for our first dive to explore the underwater world of Antarctica.
潜水队开始马不停蹄地准备我们的第一次潜水,去探索南极洲的海底世界。
Of course, I'm using my dry suit again, but this time instead of 45 degree water, I'm expecting 30 degree water!
当然,我又用到我的干式潜水服了,但这次不是零下45度的水,而是零下30度的水!
Our zodiac goes over the side, and we're off with our dive master Jonas driving the boat.
我们和潜水师傅乔纳斯一起出海。
I'm really excited!
我真的很兴奋!
I can't wait to get below the surface and start exploring!
我迫不及待地想去到水下开始探索!
But first, I need my warmest dive gloves!
但首先,我需要双最温暖的潜水手套!
It's very interesting to do any thing when you have gigantic fat cold water mitts on.
当你在冷水里戴着大手套时,做任何事情都是有趣的。
Just putting on you dive computer take about ten minutes.
仅仅是穿戴潜水电脑装上程序就需要十分钟。
Alright I'm bundled up with my heaviest undergarments.
好吧,我已经穿上最重的衣了。
I have so much insulation I can barely move.
有太多的绝缘材料,几乎动不了。
Well, I'm a long way from the Caribbean.
嗯,我离加勒比海很远。
I came all the way to Antarctica to go diving and I guess I should have expected that there was going to be ice in the water.
我千里迢迢来到南极洲潜水,我想我应该预料到水中会有冰。
I'm assuming that means it's going to be pretty cold.
我想这意味着天气会很冷。
I'll let you know! WOO HOO!
我会让你知道的!呜呼!
Oh Yeah, that's a little chilly! Oh Baby!!
哦,是啊,有点冷!噢,宝贝! !
I'm floating in an ocean filled with icebergs drifting by.
我漂浮在满是冰山的海洋中。
This water is below freezing that's possible because it's salt water this is fresh water so the ice is frozen floating in it.
水低于冰点是可能的,因为水是盐水,而冰块是淡水,所以冰块被冻住了,漂浮在里面。
This water is so cold if you fell in this water with out a dry suit on you could be dead in five minutes.
水太冷了,如果不穿干式潜水服掉进水里,五分钟内就会死掉。
And that begs the question what could possibly live is such cold water?
这就引出了一个问题:如此冰冷的水里究竟是什么生物?

重点单词   查看全部解释    
wilderness ['wildənis]

想一想再看

n. 荒野,荒地

 
range [reindʒ]

想一想再看

n. 范围,行列,射程,山脉,一系列
v. 排

 
check [tʃek]

想一想再看

n. 检查,支票,账单,制止,阻止物,检验标准,方格图案

联想记忆
antarctic [æn'tɑ:ktik]

想一想再看

adj. 南极的 n. (the A-)南极洲,南极圈

联想记忆
flight [flait]

想一想再看

n. 飞行,航班
n. 奇思妙想,一段楼

 
embark [im'bɑ:k]

想一想再看

v. 乘船,着手,从事

联想记忆
impressive [im'presiv]

想一想再看

adj. 给人深刻印象的

联想记忆
temperature ['tempritʃə(r)]

想一想再看

n. 温度,气温,体温,发烧

 
crab [kræb]

想一想再看

n. 蟹
v. 捕蟹,使横行
n.

联想记忆
hemisphere ['hemisfiə]

想一想再看

n. 半球

联想记忆

    阅读本文的人还阅读了:
  • 黄貂鱼城(上) 2018-12-17
  • 黄貂鱼城(下) 2018-12-19
  • 南极洲潜水之旅(下) 2018-12-25
  • 巴哈马群岛洞穴潜水(上) 2019-01-02
  • 巴哈马群岛洞穴潜水(下) 2019-01-04
  • 发布评论我来说2句

      最新文章

      可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

      每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

      添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
      添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。