Next on Jonathan Bird's Blue World, Jonathan visits a city full of Stingrays!
接下来乔纳森·伯德的蓝色世界,乔纳森参观了一个遍布黄貂鱼的城市!
Hi, I'm Jonathan Bird and welcome to my world!
大家好,我是乔纳森·伯德,欢迎来到我的世界!
The Stingray. It sounds like a weapon from outer space.
“黄貂鱼”,听起来像是来自外太空的武器。
It even looks a little like a space ship, but actually it's a flattened fish with wings—a close relative to the shark.
它看起来甚至有点像宇宙飞船,但实际上它是一条长着翅膀的扁平鱼——很像鲨鱼。
But stingrays are almost never dangerous to people because they spend most of their time on the bottom of the ocean hunting for clams and worms in the sand.
但是黄貂鱼对人类几乎没有威胁,因为它们大部分时间都呆在海底,在沙子里寻找蛤蜊和蠕虫。
Southern Stingrays live all over the Caribbean.
南部黄貂鱼生活在加勒比地区。
And nowhere are they more common than here, Stingray City, on Grand Cayman Island.
黄貂鱼在大开曼群岛的黄貂鱼城更为常见。
This is one of the most famous marine animals encounters in the world.
这是世界上最著名的海洋动物聚会之一。
The Cayman Islands are just to the south of Cuba in the Caribbean Sea.
开曼群岛位于加勒比海的古巴南部。
These islands are a diver's paradise with lush reefs and amazingly clear water.
这些岛屿是潜水者的天堂,这里有着郁郁葱葱的珊瑚礁和清澈的海水。
But it's not just divers who come here.
来这里的不仅仅是潜水员。
Each day dozens of cruise ships come to the Caymans loaded with tourists, and many of them come to interact with the Stingrays.
每天都有几十艘载着游客的游船来到开曼群岛,很多都是来与黄貂鱼互动的。
And that's why I've come here.
这就是我来这里的原因。
My guide will be artist and Marine Biologist Dr. Guy Harvey, who operates a shop here on Grand Cayman Island.
我的导游是艺术家兼海洋生物学家盖伊·哈维博士,他在大开曼岛上经营一家店。
I stop by to get a look at some of his famous paintings of marine life
我顺便去看看他的一些著名的海洋生物画。
Dr. Harvey takes a few minutes to show me his technique and his famous signature.
哈维博士花了几分钟时间向我展示了他画技和署名。
Good Morning! Good Morning!
早上好!早上好!
How are you guys doing today?
你们今天好吗?
Great!
好!
And then early the next morning, well before most ordinary tourists are awake, with Dr. Harvey and his daughter Jessica as my guides,
第二天一早,当大多数游客还在熟睡的时候,哈维博士和他的女儿杰西卡给我带路,
I head out to Stingray City in hopes of observing hundreds of Stingrays schooling in formation.
前往黄貂鱼城,希望能观察到成百上千只黄貂鱼群。
Well Jonathan, hopefully they'll be nobody out there when we get there,
乔纳森,希望我们到那儿的时候没有人,
and we can observe this phenomenon of the schooling Stingrays.
这样,我们可以观察到成群的黄貂鱼。
This is the only place in the world where you will see this happen.
这是世界上唯一一个能看到成群黄貂鱼的地方。
Stingray City itself is a series of shallow sandbars on Grand Cayman's north sound.
黄貂鱼城是大开曼群岛北湾的一系列浅滩。
When we arrive and drop anchor, there's nobody else there. Whew! It's pretty deep!
当我们到达目的地抛锚时,没有其他人。唷!很深!
I'm in the water for just a few minutes when off in the distance a squadron of Stingrays comes right at me!
我在水里只待了几分钟,就在这时,一群黄貂鱼从远处游了过来!
We have the Sting Rays to ourselves for a while, but soon enough, other people start to show up.
我们和黄貂鱼相处了一段时间,但很快,其他人陆续出现了。
By mid-afternoon, hundreds of tourists have arrived to experience direct contact with the stingrays.
到下午三点左右,前来体验与黄貂鱼直接接触的游客已达数百人。
The Stingrays come here not for the contact with people, but for the never-ending buffet.
黄貂鱼来这里不是为了与人接触,而是为了源源不绝的自助餐。
The tourists, like all good guests, always bring something for lunch. A little fish or squid, for example.
游客们,像所有善良的客人一样,总是给黄貂鱼带些午饭,例如,一些小鱼或乌贼。
By feeding the Stingrays, humans have actually altered their natural history here in the Caymans.
通过喂养黄貂鱼,人类实际上已经改变了黄貂鱼在开曼群岛的自然生活状况。
Normally, they are nocturnal animals which feed at night and rest during the day.
黄貂鱼通常夜间活动,晚上进食,白天休息。