手机APP下载

您现在的位置: 首页 > 英语听力 > 英语演讲 > TED演讲视频 > 正文

一种协助最脆弱的人的新方式

来源:可可英语 编辑:max   可可英语APP下载 |  可可官方微信:ikekenet

These two Kenyan ladies were best friends from neighboring villages, but they'd stopped seeing each other,

这两位肯尼亚女子是最要好的朋友,住在相邻的村落中,但她们不再跟彼此见面了,
literally, for 10 years, because both had gone blind from a curable condition called cataracts.
真的是十年都不“见”,因为两人都因为一种可治愈的疾病失明了,就是白内障。
They hadn't been aware they'd been sat together for over an hour when we offered them surgery at the nearest hospital.
当我们提议让她们在最近的医院进行手术时,过了一个小时,她们都没有发现好朋友就坐在自己身边。
Mama Jane, on the right, told me her biggest fear was that she would poison her grandson, whom she'd never seen,
珍妈妈,也就是右边的这一位,告诉我她最大的恐惧就是她会毒死她从来没看过的孙子,
because she couldn't see what she was cooking for him.
因为她看不见她在为他烧什么菜。
Her arms were covered in burns from cooking on a charcoal stove,
她的手臂都是用碳炉烧菜造成的烫伤,
and she despaired that she was robbing her six-year-old grandson of his childhood because he was effectively her eyes.
并且她感到绝望,觉得自己夺走了六岁孙子的童年,因为他实际上就是她的眼睛。
The effect of her blindness was going through the generations.
她的失明影响到不只一个世代。
He wasn't able to go to school or break the cycle of poverty.
他无法去上学或是打破贫穷的循环。
All of this, despite cost-effective solutions existing.
尽管具有成本效益的解决方案,却仍然发生这种事。
Cataract surgery can be done in under 10 minutes for just a hundred dollars.
白内障手术不用十分钟就能完成,价格只要一百美金。
Four in every five people who are blind don't need to be; curative or preventive treatments already exist.
五个失明的人当中,有四个其实不该失明;治愈性和或预防性的疗法都已经存在了。
Fortunately for Mama Jane and her friend,
珍妈妈和她的朋友很幸运,
a donor had provided treatment so that we could take them to the nearest hospital three hours away.
一位捐赠者提供了治疗,让我们能带她们到最近的医院,只要三小时的路程。
But in that very same clinic, I met Theresa, a shy young woman who couldn't look me in the eyes, not because she couldn't see,
但就在同一间诊所中,我遇见了泰瑞莎,她是位害羞的年轻女子,无法看我的眼睛,不是因为她看不见,
but the appearance of the growth on her eyes called pterygium meant she'd lost her confidence,
而是因为她的眼睛长出了翼状赘片,意思就是她失去了她的信心,
and with it, her place in her community. She had no prospects for marriage or children and had been completely ostracized.
随着信心,也失去了她在社区中的地位。她完全不指望能结婚生子,并且完全被排斥在外。
I knew how to treat her condition; it was pretty straightforward.
我知道如何治疗她的状况;方法相当直接。
But we had strict instructions that the funds we had were for people with cataracts.
但我们能取得的基金有严格的指示,只能用于白内障的人。
What was I supposed to do? Ignore her?
我能怎么做?忽视她?
My wife and I managed to raise the funds to cover her treatment,
我太太和我想办法为她的治疗募款,
but situations like Theresa were common every day, where people had the wrong diseases.
但像泰瑞莎这样的情况天天都在发生,这些人得了错的病。
And by the "wrong diseases," I mean conditions for which funding hadn't been earmarked.
我所谓的“错的病”指的就是不包含在资金拨款用途中的那些病。
Earmarking may seem like smart business or smart philanthropy on paper,
理论上,拨专款似乎是种聪明的生意或聪明的慈善,
but it doesn't make any sense when you're looking the person in the eye.
但当你看着病人的眼睛时,这样的做法是不合理的。
Yet, this is how we deliver health care to millions of people the world over.
然而,我们就这样将健康照护提供给世界各地的数百万人。
I've been thinking about this problem for a very long time.
长年以来,我一直在思考这个问题。
Things happened to me at the age of 12 that completely transformed my life.
我十二岁的时候发生了一件事,改变了我的人生。
My teachers insisted that I would go for an eye test.
我的老师坚持我要去做视力检查。
I resisted it for as many years as I could because as the only brown boy in the school,
多年来我一直很抗拒,能闪则闪,身为学校中唯一褐色皮肤的男孩,
I already felt like a chocolate chip in rice pudding, and the idea of looking more different was not particularly appealing.
我已经觉得自己像是米布丁中的巧克力片了,我实在没什么兴趣再去找出我和别人的不同。
You see, I'd associated an eye test with wearing glasses and looking different, not with seeing differently.
我会把视力检查联想到要戴眼镜及看起来与众不同,而不是联想到看更清楚。
When eventually I was persuaded to go,
最终,我被说服要去检查时,
the optometrist fitted me with the trial lenses and was shocked at just how poor my sight was.
验光师让我配上试镜片,我很惊讶我的视力原来这么差。
He sent me outside to report what I could see.
他要我走出去,告诉他我能看到什么。
I remember looking up and seeing trees had leaves on them. I had never known this.
我还记得我向上看,看到树木上面有树叶。我以前从来不知道这一点。
Later that week, for the first time, I saw stars in the night sky. It was breathtaking.
同一周没多久之后,我第一次看见了夜空的星星。那景象让我摒息。
In fact, the entire trajectory of my life changed.
事实上,我人生的整个轨道改变了。
I went from a failing child at school who was constantly told I was lazy and not paying attention to
我以前在学校里被认为是懒惰、注意力不集中的失败的孩子,
suddenly being a child with opportunity and potential.
突然变成了有机会、有潜能的小孩。
But I soon realized that this opportunity was not universal.
但我很快就发现,这个机会并不是大家都有的。
That same summer, in Egypt, the home where my parents are originally from,
同年夏天,在埃及,也就是我父母原本的家乡,
I was with children that looked a lot more like me but couldn't have been more different.
我和外表跟我很像的孩子们在一起,但我又他们非常不同。
What separated us was opportunity. How is it that I had this life and they had theirs?
我们之间的差别在于机会。为什么我能有这种生活,他们的生活却是那样?
It still makes no sense to me. How is it we've -- in a world where glasses, that completely changed my life
我仍然觉得不合理。为什么我们--完全改变了我人生的眼镜,
have been around for 700 years, yet two and a half billion people still can't access them.
在世界上其实已经存在七百年了,为什么仍然有二十五亿人无法取得眼镜?
This deep sense of injustice drove me to become a doctor, eventually an eye surgeon,
这种很深刻的不公平感,驱使我变成了医生,最终成了眼科外科医生,
and in 2012, my wife and I packed our bags and moved to Kenya to try and give something back.
2012年,我和我太太打包搬到肯尼亚,试着以某种方式回馈。
We started by setting up a hundred eye clinics across the Great Rift Valley, where we met people like Mama Jane and Theresa.
我们一开始在东非大裂谷设立了一百间眼科诊所,在那里我们遇到像是珍妈妈和泰瑞莎的人。
We founded a new organization called Peek Vision,
我们成立了一个新组织,叫Peek Vision,
a social enterprise where we built smartphone technology
是一间社会企业,我们开发智能手机技术,
that makes it possible for people in the community to find people in their homes,
让社区中的人能够在他们的家中找到人,
the most vulnerable groups who are being missed,
最弱势、被忽视的族群,
and created new tools that made it easier to diagnose them and connect them to services.
我们还会创造新工具,更容易为他们做诊断,将他们与服务连结。
Inspired by the challenges I'd had as a child, we equipped teachers, 25 of them, with smartphones to screen children in schools.
灵感是来自我小时候遇到的困难,所以我们找了二十五位老师,提供他们智能手机,在学校筛检儿童。
Our first program resulted in 21,000 children being screened in just nine days.
我们的第一个项目结果,是在九天内筛检完两万一千名儿童。
That same program was replicated to reach 200,000 children, covering the entire district.
同样的项目继续复制执行,接触到了二十万名儿童,也就是整个地区的所有儿童。
Soon we were able to repeat this in six new programs in different countries.
我们很快会在不同国家的六个新项目中重复使用这种做法。
But now, I was faced with the very same problems I had with Theresa of earmarked funds, but now as an organization.
但现在,我面临的问题就类似泰瑞莎案例中的资金拨款用途问题,但现在换成是一个组织。

一种协助最脆弱的人的新方式

People wanted to fund specific projects or particular diseases or subsets of the population.

大家会想要资助特定的项目计划或是特定的疾病,或是某部分的人口。
But it didn't make sense, because what we needed to do was build an incredible team
但这样不合理,因为我们需要做的是建立一个绝佳的团队,
who could create the systems that would change the lives of millions of people, whatever their needs were.
这个团队要能够创造系统,来改变数百万人的生命,不论他们的需求是什么。
But it didn't work that way.
但不是那样运作的。
Soon, we were able to align ourselves with partners who understood, because I understand the challenge.
我们很快就和能够理解的伙伴结盟,因为我知道困难挑战在哪里。
Ultimately, you need to trust where your money's going,
最终,你得要信任你的金钱投资,
and that trust usually manifests through the requirement to create detailed plans -- lots of paperwork.
而信任的表现方式通常是会透过需求,建立细节计划的需求,很多文书工作。
But what happens if the dynamic needs of people don't fit with the plan that you created,
但如果人的动态需求不符合你所建立的计划,
and your funding is dependent on delivering the plan?
并且你的资金要仰赖计划的实现,怎么办?
You end up with a choice: Do you serve the plan, the funder, or do you serve the need?
你最后要做一个选择:你是要满足计划,也就是出资者,或是要满足需求?
This is not a choice we should have to make, because ultimately, we can only serve one master.
这不该是我们需要去做的选择,因为最终,我们只能服侍一个主人。
The measure of our humanity is how we serve the most vulnerable amongst us.
人性的衡量方式,就是我们如何服务我们当中最脆弱的人。
Currently, the system is not working, and too many people are being left behind.
目前,这个系统没有用,太多人被抛下。
We've been fortunate to find incredible supporters and partners, which led to a new program in Botswana,
我们很幸运,能找到很棒的支持者和伙伴,这就导致了在博茨瓦纳的新项目,
in which every single schoolchild is being screened and treated by the end of 2021,
这个项目要让所有学童在2021年底前都接受筛检和治疗,
meaning an entire generation of children will have the opportunity that good vision affords.
也就是说,整个世代的儿童都将会有好视力带来的机会。
But this took years of work. It took multiple feasibility studies,
但这花了很多年的工作。期间做了很多项可行性研究,
engaging different partners and stakeholders, business cases, economic analyses,
动用到不同的伙伴、利害关系人、商业案例、经济分析,
to persuade the government to eventually come on board.
终于说服政府加入。
But they're now leading and funding this in their own national budget.
现在他们用自己国家的预算在领导和资助这件事。
But we did not have the resources to do this.
但我们没有资源来做这件事。
Our visionary funders and partners came alongside us,
我们有远景的资助者和伙伴来协助我们,
and the key ingredients were we were aligned on mission, on the why we were doing it.
而关键的要素就是我们因为使命而结盟,因为做这件事的原因而结盟。
We agreed on the outcome, what had to be done.
我们对于结果、该做什么,都有一致看法。
But critically, they were flexible and gave us autonomy to work out how we got there,
但重要的是,他们有弹性,能给我们自主权来想办法做到目标,
giving us the space to be creative, ambitious and take risk.
给我们空间来发挥创意、施展野心、去冒险。
What if all health care looked like this?
如果所有的健康照护都是这个样子的呢?
What would it mean for all the social causes we're trying to solve?
那对于我们试图解决的所有社会成因,有什么意义?
Business knows this. By taking a long-term, ambitious view
企业知道这一点。采用长远、有野心的观点,
and giving people the autonomy to be creative to solve our world's biggest challenges, we've disrupted entire industries.
给大家自主权,发挥创意,来解决我们世界上最大的挑战之一,我们已经扰乱了整个产业。
Look at Amazon, Google. Surely, we need the same level of ambition if we're going to serve the most vulnerable in our societies.
看看亚马逊、谷歌。当然,我们需要同等的野心,如果我们打算要服务我们社会中最脆弱的人。
As a planet, we've set a target, the Sustainable Development Goals,
至于地球,我们已经设定了一个目标,可持续发展目标,
yet we're spending less than half the amount on tackling the global goals than we are on conflict resolution,
但我们用在处理全球目标上的花费,还不到在解决冲突上的花费的一半,
which mostly arises from the very inequalities we're not serving.
而大部分的冲突都因为那些我们没打算服务的不平等所产生的。
It's time for change. It's not just common sense as well -- it makes business sense.
该是改变的时候了。它不只是常识--它在商业上也说得通。
Our work in Botswana showed for a modest investment,
根据我们在博茨瓦纳的研究,针对适度的投资,
the economy would gain 1.3 billion dollars over the lifetime of the children. That was 150 times return on investment.
经济会在孩子的一生中增加十三亿美金。投资利润是一百五十倍。
But part of the problem is that value is generated in the future, but we need the money now to deliver it.
但部分问题在于,要到未来才会产生价值,但我们现在就需要钱来实现它。
Turns out, this is not a new problem. Banks have been solving it for centuries.
结果发现,这不是个新问题。数个世纪以来,银行都在解决这个问题。
Simply put, it's called financing. If you want to buy a house but you can't afford to pay for it up front,
简单来说,它叫融资。如果你想要买一间房子,但你买不起,无法先付清,
the bank financiers, you see, can realize that future value now.
银行的金融家能够在现在就知道未来的价值。
In other words, you can live in the house straightaway.
换言之,你可以马上住进房子。
But what if you couldn't? What if you had to wait until you'd raised all of the money to move into the house,
但如果你不能呢?如果你得要筹到所有必要的钱才能搬进房子,
and you were kept homeless whilst trying to save the money to get there in the first place?
为了搬进房子而存钱的过程中你都无家可归,那会如何?
You'd end up in an impossible cycle, never able to get there, yet that's this very same bind we've put on ourselves.
你会陷入一个不可能的循环中,永远达不到目标,但我们就把自己放入了这样的困境中。
Inspired by the change in Botswana and by the visionary support of our funders and partners,
博茨瓦纳的改变带给我们灵感,加上我们的资助者和伙伴提供很有远见的支持,
we've come together -- two world-leading banks, for-profit and private,
我们同心协力--两间世界顶级的银行、营利和私人、
not-for-profit organizations, foundations and philanthropists -- to launch the Vision Catalyst Fund,
非营利组织、基金会和慈善家--一起推出了“促进远景基金”,
a fund which will have trust built in by design.
这个基金本身就有着信任。
It will make funding available now to the organizations that can serve the need of the most vulnerable.
它现在就能提供资金给组织,去满足最脆弱的人的需求。
It will ensure that those organizations can work together in partnership, rather than competing for limited funds,
它会确保那些组织能够合作,而不是为了争取有限资金而竞争,
serving the priority needs of an entire population, whatever they are,
来满足所有人的优先需求,不论所有人指的是谁,
so that ultimately the individuals affected can receive the care that they deserve.
最终,受到影响的个人就能够得到他们应得的照护。
And as we've shown, it doesn't make just a health and social difference, it creates huge economic benefit.
如我们先前说明的,它不只是在健康和社会上创造不同,它还创造了很大的经济利益。
This benefit in itself will create sustainability to perpetuate a virtuous, catalytic cycle of improvement and change.
利益本身将会创造出永续性,使改善和改变的良性、促进的循环能够永存。
Because when we do this, the individual needs of people like myself can be met.
因为当我们这么做时,像我这样的人的个别需求就能被满足。
And this coalition has come together this year to make a commitment with 53 heads of government,
这个联盟已经在今年组成,并与五十三位政府首长立下承诺,
who have now committed to take action towards achieving access to quality eye care for all.
他们现在承诺要采取行动,努力朝向让所有人都能取得高质量眼睛照护迈进。
We've had incredible commitments of 200 million pairs of glasses to the fund and millions of dollars,
我们已经得到了些很棒的承诺,包括提供两亿副眼镜给基金,还有数百万美金的资金,
so that the dynamic and individual needs of people -- like my own issues that I had as child,
这么一来,大家的动态个别需求--就像我小时候的问题,
and like Theresa, who just required simple surgery -- can be met.
或像只需要动简单手术的泰瑞莎--就能被满足。
For Theresa, it meant her place back in society, now with her own family and children.
对泰瑞莎而言的意义是她能取回她在社会上的地位,现在她有自己的家人和孩子。
And for Mama Jane, it wasn't just restoring her sight, it meant the opportunity to restore hope,
对珍妈妈来说,她不只恢复了视力,她也有机会能够重获希望、
to restore joy and to restore dignity. Thank you.
重获喜悦,并重获尊严。谢谢大家。

重点单词   查看全部解释    
potential [pə'tenʃəl]

想一想再看

adj. 可能的,潜在的
n. 潜力,潜能

 
appealing [ə'pi:liŋ]

想一想再看

adj. 引起兴趣的,动人的

 
fortunate ['fɔ:tʃənit]

想一想再看

adj. 幸运的,侥幸的

联想记忆
quality ['kwɔliti]

想一想再看

n. 品质,特质,才能
adj. 高品质的

 
stove [stəuv]

想一想再看

n. 炉子,火炉窑;烘房;【主英】温室

 
commitment [kə'mitmənt]

想一想再看

n. 承诺,保证; 确定,实行

联想记忆
donor ['dəunə]

想一想再看

n. 捐赠人
[计算机] 施主

联想记忆
ambitious [æm'biʃəs]

想一想再看

adj. 有雄心的,有抱负的,野心勃勃的

联想记忆
particular [pə'tikjulə]

想一想再看

adj. 特殊的,特别的,特定的,挑剔的
n.

联想记忆
straightforward [streit'fɔ:wəd]

想一想再看

adj. 笔直的,率直的

 

发布评论我来说2句

    最新文章

    可可英语官方微信(微信号:ikekenet)

    每天向大家推送短小精悍的英语学习资料.

    添加方式1.扫描上方可可官方微信二维码。
    添加方式2.搜索微信号ikekenet添加即可。