These organisms are beautiful and iconic.
这些生命体都非常漂亮,而且都极具代表性。
There are certain types that are present nowhere else on earth.
因为有些物种只有这里才有。
So it's very important to study them.
所以研究这些物种至关重要。
My name is Drew Lohrer, and I'm the principal investigator on Science Under the Ice.
我是“冰下科研”项目的主要负责人德鲁·洛瑞尔。
Science Under the Ice is what we've been calling our project where we've been studying the resilience of organisms, the sea floor organisms, to climate-related changes.
我们之所以把项目叫这个名字,是因为我们研究的是生命体的适应力,海床生命体对气候引起的变化的适应能力,
And we do science under the ice, literally, by scuba diving under frozen ocean in Antarctica.
我们的研究都是在水下进行的,真的,要带着水肺下潜到南极冰盖下面。
The most recent trip was to Explorers Cove on New Harbor, which is in the Ross Sea, Antarctica.
最近一次考察是在南极腹地罗斯海新湾的探索者湾。
Our team was nine scientists and technicians
我们团队有9名科学家及技术人员,
and, of those, seven of them were scientific divers that dived underneath the ice.
其中7名都是在冰盖下潜过水的科研潜水专家。
We are about to commence our dive operations for the morning/afternoon.
现在我们要开始这次的上/下午潜水活动了。
On this trip, we went diving underneath the ice
这一次,我们要潜到冰下,
to deploy a large-scale experiment involving incubation chambers that we deployed to the sea floor.
针对我们在海床部署的培养箱进行大规模考察。
We also surveyed the fauna using standard survey techniques and we collected organisms for isotopic analysis,
我们还用标准的仪器观察海底的动物群,采集有机生命体的样本进行同位素研究,
so we can reconstruct food webs and how they've changed since our previous trips.
以便重建海底的食物网,观察它们在距离前几次取样之间发生的变化。
The water is -2 degrees Celsius. It's very, very cold.
水的温度是零下2度,非常寒冷。
And we have to dive through ten feet of sea ice in order to access our study sites.
我们还要穿过三米后的冰盖才能到达研究基地。
Diving under the ice is quite surreal.It's like diving in twilight because the light is dim.
冰下潜水给人一种非常超现实的感觉,海底的光线很弱,就像在暮色里潜水一样。
It's almost in some ways like diving in outer space
从某种程度上来说,感觉就像游离在外太空一样,
because of the vistas that you get towards the underside of the ice with the light coming through.
逐渐靠近冰盖底部时,透过上面穿透下来的光看到的景象真的就像外太空一样。
And the clarity of the water is, is unbelievable.
水透明得让人难以置信,
It's almost like you're floating in air rather than floating in water.
你就好像是漂在空中的而不是浮在水里一样。
I think documenting what is down there now and how it's changing over time is really important.
我觉得记载冰盖下的现状以及那里随时间发生的变化是极为重要的。
This year all of us were struck by just how quickly things can change
今年,了解到那里变化之快我们所有人都惊呆了,
and it shows just how,there is essentially climate models that are predicting changes in sea ice conditions.
我们的研究结果也为我们预测海滨变化提供了重要的气候模型。
Science Under the Ice is pretty extreme.
我们工作的环境极为恶劣。
It's hard to keep the heat up in the huts because the Sigma stoves are not working that well.
在帐篷里是很难保暖的,我们的炉子不好用。
That being said, the divers love diving under the ice because of the beauty and the unique experience that it provides.
尽管如此,我们的潜水员还是很热爱这份工作,因为那里有一个美丽的世界,因为能带给我们独特的体验。