As a little Hawaiian, my mom and auntie always told me stories about Kalaupapa
在我还是一个年幼的夏威夷人时,我的母亲和姑姑经常跟我讲关于卡劳帕帕的故事,
the Hawaiian leper colony surrounded by the highest sea cliffs in the world
那个地方充满夏威夷的麻风病患者,被世界上最高的悬崖包围。
and Father Damien, the Belgian missionary who gave his life for the Hawaiian community.
还有为夏威夷社区奉献一生的比利时传教士--达米安神父的故事。
As a young nurse, my aunt trained the nuns caring for the remaining lepers almost a 100 years after Father Damien died of leprosy.
我的姑姑,作为一名年轻的护士,在达米安神父死于麻风病近一百年后,训练修女们照顾剩下的麻风病患者。
I remember stories she told about traveling down switchback cliff paths on a mule,
我依旧记得她讲述的故事:她和我的叔叔骑着骡子穿行在高低起伏的悬崖小路上。
while my uncle played her favorite hula songs on the ukulele all the way down to Kalaupapa.
我的叔叔用尤克里里琴弹奏她最喜欢的夏威夷歌曲,直到到达卡劳帕帕。
You see, as a youngster, I was always curious about a few things.
作为一个儿童,我一直对一些事情感到好奇。
First was why a Belgian missionary chose to live in complete isolation in Kalaupapa,
首先,为什么一个比利时传教士要选择在卡劳帕帕住着与世隔绝的生活,
knowing he would inevitably contract leprosy from the community of people he sought to help.
并且不可避免会从他帮助的社区里的人们那里传染到麻风病。
And secondly, where did the leprosy bacteria come from?
还有,卡劳帕帕的麻风病菌是哪里来的?
And why were Kānaka Maoli, the indigenous people of Hawaii, so susceptible to developing leprosy, or "mai Pake?"
为什么夏威夷的土著居民如此容易受到麻风病,也就是mai Pake的感染?
This got my curious about what makes us unique as Hawaiians -- namely, our genetic makeup.
这让我好奇是什么让我们夏威夷人不同?答案就是我们的基因。
But it wasn't until high school, through the Human Genome Project,
但是直到高中,通过一个人类基因组的项目,
that I realized I wasn't alone in trying to connect our unique genetic ancestry to our potential health, wellness and illness.
我才发现我并不是唯一一个想要追溯我们特有的基因祖先,为了了解我们的潜在健康和疾病。
You see, the 2.7 billion-dollar project promised an era of predictive and preventative medicine based on our unique genetic makeup.
要知道,这个27亿美元的计划在研究我们特有基因的基础上保证了一个可预测,可预防的医疗时代。
So to me it always seemed obvious that in order to achieve this dream,
显而易见,为了要完成这一个梦想,
we would need to sequence a diverse cohort of people to obtain the full spectrum of human genetic variation on the planet.
我们需要排列一群不同的人来取得地球上变化多样的人类基因的遗传谱。
That's why 10 years later, it continues to shock me,
这就是为什么10年后,我不断被惊讶,
knowing that 96 percent of genome studies associating common genetic variation with specific diseases
发现96%与特定疾病有关的基因多样性的实验
have focused exclusively on individuals of European ancestry.
都只研究了祖先是欧洲人的人群。
Now you don't need a PhD to see that that leaves four percent for the rest of diversity.
你不需要一个博士学位都能发现其他的种族只有4%。
And in my own searching, I've discovered that far less than one percent have actually focused on indigenous communities, like myself.
在我自己的研究里,我发现远不到1%的研究是专注于像我一样的土著居民。
So that begs the question: Who is the Human Genome Project actually for?
所以我要问一个问题:人类基因组计划究竟是为了谁?
Just like we have different colored eyes and hair, we metabolize drugs differently based on the variation in our genomes.
就像我们有着不同颜色的眼睛和头发一样,根据我们的基因组,我们对药物的新陈代谢不同。
So how many of you would be shocked to learn that
所以我不知道当你们获悉
95 percent of clinical trials have also exclusively featured individuals of European ancestry?
95%的医疗临床试验也是专门为欧洲血统的人,你们会多惊讶。
This bias and systematic lack of engagement of indigenous people
这一不公平和缺少对土著居民的系统研究,
in both clinical trials and genome studies is partially the result of a history of distrust.
在医疗临床和基因研究领域,都是造成历史上种族不信任的部分原因。
For example, in 1989, researchers from Arizona State University obtained blood samples from Arizona's Havasupai tribe,
举个例子,1989年,亚利桑那州州立大学的研究者们在亚利桑那州哈瓦苏部落采集了血样,
promising to alleviate the burden of type 2 diabetes that was plaguing their community,
承诺会减轻在社区横行的2型糖尿病,
only to turn around and use those exact same samples -- without the Havasupai's consent
但是却在没有哈瓦苏人的同意下,用这些血样
to study rates of schizophrenia, inbreeding, and challenge the Havasupai's origin story.
来研究精神分裂症和近亲繁殖的概率,并且挑战哈瓦苏部落的起源。
When the Havasupai found out, they sued successfully for $700,000,
当哈瓦苏人发现的时候,他们成功起诉,获得了70万美元的罚款,
and they banned ASU from conducting research on their reservation.
还禁止亚利桑那州立大学对其部落的研究。
This culminated in a sort of domino effect with local tribes in the Southwest
这件事在美国西南造成了多米诺效应,
including the Navajo Nation, one of the largest tribes in the country -- putting a moratorium on genetic research.
包括美国最大的部落,纳瓦霍族,他们叫停了一个基因的研究。
Now despite this history of distrust, I still believe that indigenous people can benefit from genetic research.
现在,不管那段充满着怀疑的历史,我依旧相信,土著居民能够从基因研究中获利。
And if we don't do something soon, the gap in health disparities is going to continue to widen.
如果我们不尽快采取行动,医疗健康差距的鸿沟将越来越宽。
Hawaii, for example, has the longest life expectancy on average of any state in the US,
拿夏威夷举个例子,在美国所有州中,夏威夷是最长寿的州,
yet native Hawaiians like myself die a full decade before our non-native counterparts,
但是像我这样的夏威夷人比非土著人早整整10年去世,
because we have some of the highest rates of type 2 diabetes, obesity,
因为我们有2型糖尿病、肥胖症
and the number one and number two killers in the US: cardiovascular disease and cancer.
和美国头号和二号杀手疾病:心血管疾病和癌症的最高发病率。
So how do we ensure the populations of people that need genome sequencing the most are not the last to benefit?
所以,我们该如何保证最需要基因组序列的人群不是最后获益的?
My vision is to make genetic research more native, to indigenize genome sequencing technology.
我的愿望是想让基因研究更贴近当地,来本地化基因序列研究。
Traditionally, genomes are sequenced in laboratories.
一般来说,基因序列会在实验室被排序。
Here's an image of your classic genome sequencer. It's huge. It's the size of a refrigerator.
这是一张有关基因序列测定仪的照片。它十分巨大,有一个冰箱大小。
There's this obvious physical limitation. But what if you could sequence genomes on the fly?
很明显,它对空间有一定限制。但是,如果你能在飞机上使用基因序列测定仪呢?
What if you could fit a genome sequencer in your pocket?
如果你能用口袋装下一个基因序列测定仪呢?
This nanopore-based sequencer is one 10,000th the size of your traditional genome sequencer.
这个纳米孔测序仪只有传统基因序列测定仪的万分之一大小。
It doesn't have the same physical limitations, in that it's not tethered to a lab bench with extraneous cords,
它没有很多对空间的限制,它不需要被绳子拴在实验室的长凳上,
large vats of chemicals or computer monitors.
它无需大量的化学物质和电脑显示器。
It allows us to de-black box genome sequencing technology development in a way that's immersive and collaborative,
它能让我们以仿真和协作的方式来排列基因,
activating and empowering indigenous communities ... as citizen scientists.
让土著居民有动力和能力研究基因序列,让他们成为科学家。
100 years later in Kalaupapa, we now have the technology to sequence leprosy bacteria in real time,
100百年后的卡劳帕帕,我们已经有能够实实在在研究麻风病病菌基因序列的科技,
using mobile genome sequencers, remote access to the Internet and cloud computation.
能够使用可移动的基因序列测定仪,通过网络远程存取以及云计算。
But only if that's what Hawaiian people want. In our space, on our terms.
只要那真的是夏威夷人所想要的。在我们存在的宇宙里,在我们的人生里,
IndiGenomics is about science for the people by the people.
本土基因学是为了提高少数人的健康的科学。
We'll be starting with a tribal consultation resource,
我们会从举办一个部落咨询会开始,
focused on educating indigenous communities on the potential use and misuse of genetic information.
注重教育土著社区正当和不当使用基因信息的影响。
Eventually we'd like to have our own IndiGenomics research institute to conduct our own experiments
最终,我们想要成立我们自己的本土基因研究院,来进行我们自己的研究,
and educate the next generation of indigenous scientists.
同时,也要教导下一代土著科学家。
In the end, indigenous people need to be partners in and not subjects of genetic research.
最后,土著居民应该成为基因研究的成员,而不是对象。
And for those on the outside, just as Father Damien did,
对于那些不是土著居民的人来说,应该学习神父达米安那样做,
the research community needs to immerse itself in indigenous culture or die trying. Mahalo.
研究团体需要把自己浸泡在土著文化中,不顾一切地去尝试。谢谢!