I'm here to offer you a new way to think about my field, artificial intelligence.
今天来到这里,是想邀请大家从一个新的角度来看我熟悉的领域:人工智能。
I think the purpose of AI is to empower humans with machine intelligence.
我认为人工智能的目的,是要用机器智慧来增强人类的能力。
And as machines get smarter, we get smarter.
而随着机器变得更聪明,我们也会更聪明。
I call this "humanistic AI" -- artificial intelligence designed to meet human needs by collaborating and augmenting people.
我称这个为“人性化人工智能”--透过与人工智能合作并强化人类的设计方式来满足人类的需求。
Now, today I'm happy to see that the idea of an intelligent assistant is mainstream.
如今,我很高兴能看到智慧助理的这个想法能成为主流。
It's the well-accepted metaphor for the interface between humans and AI.
这象征了人类与人工智能之间的互动界面已被广泛接受。
And the one I helped create is called Siri.
而其中一个我协助创造的就是Siri。
You know Siri. Siri is the thing that knows your intent and helps you do it for you, helps you get things done.
各位都知道Siri。Siri会知道你的意图,并协助你把一切搞定。
But what you might not know is that we designed Siri as humanistic AI,
但各位可能不知道,当初我们在设计Siri时,就把它定位在“人性化的人工智能”,
to augment people with a conversational interface that made it possible for them to use mobile computing,
透过对话界面的方式来强化人类,让使用行动计算成为可能,
regardless of who they were and their abilities.
不论他们是谁、能力如何,都可以使用。
Now for most of us, the impact of this technology is to make things a little bit easier to use.
对我们大多数人而言,受到这项技术的影响是让我们在使用东西上变得比较容易。
But for my friend Daniel, the impact of the AI in these systems is a life changer.
但对我朋友丹尼尔而言,却是改变了他一生的人工智能系统。
You see, Daniel is a really social guy, and he's blind and quadriplegic,
丹尼尔是个很爱社交的人,他也是个四肢瘫痪的盲人,
which makes it hard to use those devices that we all take for granted.
我们认为理所当然的装置设备,对他来说却很难用。
The last time I was at his house, his brother said,
上次我去他家,他哥哥说:“
"Hang on a second, Daniel's not ready. He's on the phone with a woman he met online."
等等,丹尼尔还没准备好。他正在和他在线认识的女生讲电话。”
I'm like, "That's cool, how'd he do it?"
我说:“好酷,他怎么办到的?”
Well, Daniel uses Siri to manage his own social life -- his email, text and phone -- without depending on his caregivers.
丹尼尔用Siri来管理他自己的社交生活--他的电子邮件、信息、电话--不用依赖他的照护者。
This is kind of interesting, right? The irony here is great.
这挺有趣的,对吧?这也相当讽刺。
Here's the man whose relationship with AI helps him have relationships with genuine human beings. And this is humanistic AI.
这个人与人工智能的关系协助他与真正的人类建立了关系。这就是人性化的人工智能。
Another example with life-changing consequences is diagnosing cancer.
还有一个可以改变人生结果的例子,也就是癌症诊断。
When a doctor suspects cancer, they take a sample and send it to a pathologist, who looks at it under a microscope.
当医生怀疑你有癌症时,他们会先取样交给病理学家,病理学家再利用显微镜来看样本。
Now, pathologists look at hundreds of slides and millions of cells every day.
病理学家每天要看数百片的载玻片及数百万个细胞。
So to support this task, some researchers made an AI classifier.
所以为了支援这项工作,有几位研究人员做出了一种人工智能分类器。
Now, the classifier says, "Is this cancer or is this not cancer?" looking at the pictures.
现在,分类器已经会看着图片说:“这是不是癌症?”
The classifier was pretty good, but not as good as the person, who got it right most of the time.
分类器挺厉害的,但没有人类那么厉害,人类大部份都能判读正确。
But when they combine the ability of the machine and the human together, accuracy went to 99.5 percent.
但当机器与人类的能力结合在一起时,正确率可以达到99.5%。
Adding that AI to a partnership eliminated 85 percent of the errors that the human pathologist would have made working alone.
加上人工智能的协作,人类病理学家能减少个人判断时85%的错误。
That's a lot of cancer that would have otherwise gone untreated.
这相当多啊,很多癌症患者当初就是因误判而耽搁了治疗。
Now, for the curious, it turns out that the human was better at rejecting false positives,
人类因为好奇的原因,所以比较擅长判断错误的假阳性案例,
and the machine was better at recognizing those hard-to-spot cases.
而机器比较擅长判断难以辨别的案例。
But the lesson here isn't about which agent is better at this image-classification task.
但我们学到的并不是在比谁在图像分类上比较厉害。
Those things are changing every day. The lesson here is that by combining the abilities of the human and machine,
那些东西每天都会变。这里我们学到的是,通过结合人类与机器的能力,
it created a partnership that had superhuman performance. And that is humanistic AI.
其创造出的合作关系会有超人般的表现。而这就是人性化的人工智能。
Now let's look at another example with turbocharging performance. This is design.
我们再举个例子,这方面的进步也是突飞猛进。那就是“设计。”
Now, let's say you're an engineer. You want to design a new frame for a drone.
假设你是个工程师,你想要设计一个新的无人机骨架。
You get out your favorite software tools, CAD tools, and you enter the form and the materials, and then you analyze performance.
你拿出你最爱的软件工具,计算机绘图辅助工具,你输入了外形和材料,然后按下分析表现。
That gives you one design. If you give those same tools to an AI, it can generate thousands of designs.
它只会跑出一种设计方案。如果你把这些工具拿给人工智能使用,它会帮你跑出数千种设计。
This video by Autodesk is amazing. This is real stuff. So this transforms how we do design.
欧特克做的影片非常震撼。这是真实案例。这改变了我们设计的方式。
The human engineer now says what the design should achieve, and the machine says, "Here's the possibilities."
现在,人类工程师只要说出想要达成的设计,机器就会说:“有这些可能性方案。”
Now in her job, the engineer's job is to pick the one that best meets the goals of the design,
现在,她的工作,工程师的工作,就是选出一种最符合目标的设计,
which she knows as a human better than anyone else, using human judgment and expertise.
这是她身为人类最擅长的,用的就是人类的判断和专业。
In this case, the winning form looks kind of like something nature would have designed,
在这案例中,脱颖而出的设计像是自然界设计出来的,
minus a few million years of evolution and all that unnecessary fur.
但这样的设计,不需要几百万年的演化,也不需有那些皮毛。
Now let's see where this idea of humanistic AI might lead us if we follow it into the speculative beyond.
我们现在来想想,如果我们跟着人性化人工智能走,它会把我们带到哪些意想不到的境界?
What's a kind of augmentation that we would all like to have? Well, how about cognitive enhancement?
我们想要的强化,有哪些方面?认知强化如何?
Instead of asking, "How smart can we make our machines?" let's ask "How smart can our machines make us?"
别再问:“我们能把机器做到多聪明?”我们要改问:“我们的机器能把我们变多聪明?”
I mean, take memory for example. Memory is the foundation of human intelligence.
我的意思是,例如“记忆力。”记忆是人类智慧的基础。
But human memory is famously flawed. We're great at telling stories, but not getting the details right.
但人类的记忆力是出名的差。我们很会说故事,但无法把细节说正确。
And our memories -- they decay over time. I mean, like, where did the '60s go, and can I go there, too?
我们的记忆力会随时间衰退。就像六十年代去哪了?我也能去那儿吗?
But what if you could have a memory that was as good as computer memory, and was about your life?
但如果你能拥有和计算机一样好的记忆力,而且这些记忆与你的人生有关,那会如何呢?
What if you could remember every person you ever met,
如果你能记得你见过的每一个人、
how to pronounce their name, their family details, their favorite sports, the last conversation you had with them?
叫得出每一个人的名字、家庭状况的细节、他们最爱的运动、你和他们上次的对话,那会如何呢?
If you had this memory all your life, you could have the AI look at all the interactions you had with people over time
如果你一生都有这样的记忆,你就可以要求人工智能去看看你过去与人们的所有互动,
and help you reflect on the long arc of your relationships.
并协助你反思你的人际关系弧线。
What if you could have the AI read everything you've ever read and listen to every song you've ever heard?
如果我们能让人工智能去阅读所有你阅读过的东西、去听你听过的每首歌,会如何呢?
From the tiniest clue, it could help you retrieve anything you've ever seen or heard before.
从最微小的线索,它就能协助你找回你以前看过或听过的任何东西。
Imagine what that would do for the ability to make new connections and form new ideas.
想象一样,那对于建立新连结以及产生新点子的能力会有什么影响。
And what about our bodies?
那么,我们的身体呢?
What if we could remember the consequences of every food we eat, every pill we take, every all-nighter we pull?
如果我们能记得我们吃过的每样食物、每颗药物、记得每次通宵熬夜的内容,那会如何?
We could do our own science on our own data about what makes us feel good and stay healthy.
我们可以用自己的资料来做自己的科学,找出什么会让我们感觉很好并保持健康。
And imagine how this could revolutionize the way we manage allergies and chronic disease.
想象一下,这会为我们管理过敏及慢性病带来怎样的革命。
I believe that AI will make personal memory enhancement a reality.
我相信,人工智能能够实现个人记忆的强化。
I can't say when or what form factors are involved,
我不知道何时或需要那些机缘,
but I think it's inevitable, because the very things that make AI successful today
但我认为它是一定会到来的,因为人工智能在现今能够成功的原因,
the availability of comprehensive data and the ability for machines to make sense of that data can be applied to the data of our lives.
就是这些综合性资料的可取得性,以及机器能从这些资料中理解出意义的能力,能为我们生活上的资料所用。
And those data are here today, available for all of us, because we lead digitally mediated lives, in mobile and online.
我们现今就已经能够取得那些资料了,因为我们可以直接用手机或上网的方式,将我们的生活与数位科技做连结。
In my view, a personal memory is a private memory. We get to choose what is and is not recalled and retained.
依我所见,个人的记忆是私人的记忆。我们可以选择要或不要,回忆或保留哪些记忆。
It's absolutely essential that this be kept very secure.
保持资料的安全绝对是有必要的。
Now for most of us, the impact of augmented personal memory will be a more improved mental gain,
对大部分人来说,增强个人记忆希望产生的影响会是:可以获得心智上的成长
maybe, hopefully, a bit more social grace. But for the millions who suffer from Alzheimer's and dementia,
或是希望可以有更高雅的社交能力。但对于数百万受阿兹海默症及痴呆症所苦的人而言,
the difference that augmented memory could make is a difference between a life of isolation and a life of dignity and connection.
增加记忆能造成的改变,就是让那孤独的人生,变成有尊严及连结的人生。
We are in the middle of a renaissance in artificial intelligence right now.
我们现在正在人工智能的文艺复兴时期当中。
I mean, in just the past few years, we're beginning to see solutions to AI problems
仅仅在过去几年,我们就开始看到人工智能问题的解决方法,
that we have struggled with literally for decades: speech understanding, text understanding, image understanding.
这在过去数十年来一直是无法解决的问题,像是:口语理解、文字理解、图像理解。
We have a choice in how we use this powerful technology.
我们可以选择要如何使用这强大的技术。
We can choose to use AI to automate and compete with us, or we can use AI to augment and collaborate with us,
我们可以选择用人工智能来做自动化并与我们竞争、或我们可以选择用人工智能来做强化并与我们合作,
to overcome our cognitive limitations and to help us do what we want to do, only better.
来克服我们的认知限制,并协助我们去做我们想要做的事,而且做得更好。
And as we discover new ways to give machines intelligence,
随着我们发掘出新的方式来将智慧赋予机器,
we can distribute that intelligence to all of the AI assistants in the world,
我们可以把那智慧移转到全世界所有的人工智能助理身上,
and therefore to every person, regardless of circumstance.
且不论如何,都要确保每个人都能因此受惠。
And that is why, every time a machine gets smarter, we get smarter.
那就是为什么每次当机器变更聪明,我们也会变更聪明。
That is an AI worth spreading. Thank you.
而这就是人工智能值得推广的原因。谢谢大家。