When possible, we have no choice but to annihilate them.
如有可能,我们要彻底消灭他们。
When necessary, we must be able to detain and question them.
如有必要,我们必须拘捕并审问他们。
But we must be clear: Terrorists are not merely criminals. They are unlawful enemy combatants.
但我们要明白:恐怖主义不仅是罪犯。他们是无法无天的敌人。
And when captured overseas, they should be treated like the terrorists they are.
在海外抓到时,他们应该被当做恐怖分子对待。
In the past, we have foolishly released hundreds and hundreds of dangerous terrorists,
过去我们愚蠢地释放了数百名危险的恐怖分子,
only to meet them again on the battlefield, including the ISIS leader, al-Baghdadi, who we captured, who we had, who we released.
在战场上又碰到他们,包括我们俘虏过又放走的ISIS头目巴格达迪。
So today, I am keeping another promise.
今天我兑现了又一个诺言。
I just signed prior to walking in an order directing Secretary Mattis — who is doing a great job, thank you,
我在进场之前刚刚签署了一项命令,
to re-examine our military detention policy and to keep open the detention facilities in Guantanamo Bay.
让国防部长马蒂斯重新审核我们的军事拘留政策,保证我们在关塔那摩湾的监禁设施开放。
I am asking Congress to ensure that in the fight against ISIS and Al Qaida we continue to have all necessary power to detain terrorists,
我呼吁国会保证在对ISIS和基地组织的战斗中,我们将继续拥有关押恐怖分子的必要权力。
wherever we chase them down, wherever we find them.
无论我们在哪抓到这些恐怖分子,我们都将关押他们。
And in many cases, for them it will now be Guantanamo Bay.
很多人都将关进关塔那摩湾监狱。
At the same time, as of a few months ago, our warriors in Afghanistan have new rules of engagement.
我们在阿富汗的战士有了新的作战原则。
Along with their heroic Afghan partners, our military is no longer undermined by artificial timelines, and we no longer tell our enemies our plans.
与英雄的阿富汗伙伴一样,我们也不再受人为时间框架的制约,我们不会告诉敌人我们的计划。