Jennifer did nothing wrong. All she did was share a nude photo with someone she thought that she could trust.
Jennifer没做错什么。她不过将她的裸照分享给了她认为可以信任的人。
And yet our laws tell her that she committed a horrible crime equivalent to child pornography.
可我们的法律告诉她,她犯了和儿童色情一样可怕的罪行。
Our gender norms tell her that by producing this nude image of herself, she somehow did the most horrible, shameful thing.
我们的性别规范告诉她,给自己拍裸照,是她做过的最为可怕、羞耻的事。
And when we assume that privacy is impossible in digital media, we completely write off and excuse her boyfriend's bad, bad behavior.
当我们觉得保护隐私在数字媒体环境下是不可能的时候,我们完全无视男朋友的不道德行为。
People are still saying all the time to victims of privacy violations,
人们还是在不停地对那些隐私受侵犯的受害者们说,
"What were you thinking? You should have never sent that image."
“你在想些什么啊?你就不该发那照片的。”
If you're trying to figure out what to say instead, try this.
如果你尝试换种说法,试试这个。
Imagine you've run into your friend who broke their leg skiing.
想象下你碰到一个滑雪时摔断腿的朋友。
They took a risk to do something fun, and it didn't end well.
他们当时冒险做了些好玩的动作,结果腿摔断了。
But you're probably not going to be the jerk who says, "Well, I guess you shouldn't have gone skiing then."
但你不太可能蠢到说,“唉,我觉得你就不该去滑雪的。”
If we think more about consent, we can see that victims of privacy violations deserve our compassion,
如果我们多考虑他人是否同意,我们便能看见侵犯隐私的受害者们得到了我们的同情,
not criminalization, shaming, harassment or punishment.
而不是遭到定罪,羞辱,骚扰或是惩罚。
We can support victims, and we can prevent some privacy violations by making these legal, individual and technological changes.
我们可以支持这些受害者,通过法律,个人和科技上的改变,来防止侵权隐私的发生。
Because the problem is not sexting, the issue is digital privacy. And one solution is consent.
因为问题不在于色情信息的发送,而在于数字隐私。解决方法之一就是获得他人的同意。
So the next time a victim of a privacy violation comes up to you, instead of blaming them, let's do this instead:
所以下次一个隐私受侵犯的人来找你的时候,不要责备他们,而是这么做:
let's shift our ideas about digital privacy, and let's respond with compassion. Thank you.
让我们转变我们对数字隐私的看法,并以同情作为回应。谢谢。