When my love swears that she is made of truth
我的爱赌咒发誓说她遍体忠诚,
I do believe her, though I know she lies,
我明知此语有假却乐得信以为真;
That she might think me some untutor'd youth,
这样她就会认为我是不晓事的孩子,
Unlearned in the world's false subtleties.
对世间的一切骗局从不存戒心。
Thus vainly thinking that she thinks me young,
我于是会玄想她还以为我年少,
Although she knows my days are past the best,
虽然她知道我早已过青春妙龄。
Simply I credit her false speaking tongue:
我傻乎乎地相信她的胡编乱造,
On both sides thus is simple truth suppress'd.
这一来我和她都在隐瞒真情。
But wherefore says she not she is unjust?
然而她为何不说她话中有假?
And wherefore say not I that I am old?
为何我不说我已经老迈无能?
O, love's best habit is in seeming trust,
唉,爱的堂皇服装是表面忠贞,
And age in love loves not to have years told:
年岁大的人最不喜把年龄谈论。
Therefore I lie with her and she with me,
于是我糊弄了她,她也糊弄了我,
And in our faults by lies we flatter'd be.
我们互相糊弄,乐在骗里纵情。