I remember My grandma's favorite story was about how everything cost two cents when she was young.
我记得祖母最喜欢讲的故事就是她小时候的东西有多么便宜。
But now, everything constantly got more expensive. And it was all because of the government.
但是现在,所有东西都不停的涨价。都是因为政府。
These uneducated pigs didn't know how to control prices.
这些没文化的蠢货不知道如何控制物价。
And when I was privileged enough to hear this story, her complaining would last for hours and hours.
当我有幸听到这个故事的时候,她的抱怨会持续几个小时。
And that's exactly what reactive people do. They always focus on the things that they cannot control.
消极被动的人就是那样。他们总是关注无法控制的事情。
It's not possible that a concept like inflation would exist.
像通货膨胀这样的概念是不可能存在的。
And if it did, it's impossible that they wouldn't know about it!
如果存在,他们肯定会知道!
On the other hand, proactive people realize, Look,
另一方面,积极主动的人明白,瞧,
even if my complaining were completely objective, it doesn't help me.
即使我的抱怨完全客观,也不可能帮到我。
So I'm going to focus on what I can control.
所以我要把注意力集中到可以控制的事情上。
If a proactive person owns a business where he sells a product,
如果一个积极主动的人做生意销售产品,
instead of focusing on how people these days don't appreciate good products anymore,
他不会纠结于人们最近有多么不待见好产品,
and how the government has horrible regulations, he focuses on,
或者政府条例有多么糟糕,他专注于
"How can I improve my product, so my customers can't live without it?"
“如何改进我的产品,才能让顾客离不开它?”
Do you realize how much responsibility, how much dedication, how much hard work comes along with asking that question?
你知道问这个问题随之而来的要付出多少责任,多少贡献,多少辛勤劳动吗?
And what do you think our effort-minimizing brain is going to pick as default?
你认为我们趋简避繁的大脑会默认选择什么呢?
And that is exactly why most people focus on the things that they cannot control,
那就是大部分人专注于不可控的事情
rather than focusing on the things that they can.
而不专注于可控事情的原因。
Habit number 1 is: be proactive.
习惯一:积极主动。
Now imagine you're at a funeral, but this one's different from all the funerals you've ever been to.
想象一下你参加一个葬礼,但是这次有别于你参加的其他葬礼。
You're standing over the casket and you see yourself.
你站在棺材旁,看到的是你自己。
What do you have to say about yourself?
你会说些关于自己的什么?
This is one of the most powerful questions you could ask.
这是可以询问的最有力的问题之一。
Are you doing the things in your life, which are aligned with what you want to be able to say?
你现在所做的事情是否与你那时想说的恰好一致呢?
Do you want to say that you were a good spouse?
你想说你是一个好的伴侣吗?
If that's the case, how does coming home and instantly being negative towards your spouse affect that?
如果是,那回家后对伴侣的消极情绪怎么会影响这个答案呢?
Do you want to be remembered as a person who added value to society?
你想作为社会价值的贡献者而被大家铭记吗?
If that's the case, are you doing the things that will allow you to say that,
如果是,那你的所作所为是否担得起呢,
or are you scared of failure and choose comfortable mediocrity instead?
又或是你因为害怕失败,而选择了舒适的平庸生活?
Almost every one of us will have to readjust how we live when we ask that question.
当我们那么问的时候,几乎所有人都要重新调整度过人生的方式。
Habit number 2 is: begin with the end in mind.
习惯二:先定目标后有行动。
Now if I were to ask you, "What are the most important things to you?"
如果现在问你,“你最重要的事情是什么?”
The most common answers I would get would be either your wellbeing,
最常见的答案或是你的健康,
or your relationships—your family, your spouse, your children.
或是你的人际关系——家庭,伴侣,孩子。
You would never ever say, "Organizing papers or watching TV…"
你肯定不会说,“整理报纸或是看电视…”
But how many of us spend more time organizing papers and watching TV,
但是我们当中有多少人不是调节营养去健身房锻炼,也不去培养一个健康的家庭环境
than planning our nutrition and going to the gym, or cultivating a healthy family environment?
而把更多的时间花费在了整理报纸和看电视上呢?
There's a horrible disconnect between what we say and how we actually allocate our time.
我们说的内容和实际的时间安排存在可怕的脱节。
Habit number 3 is: put first things first. Now imagine you're an author, and I'm an author.
习惯三:要事第一。设想一下你是作者,我也是作者。
And We both write interesting books, and we both have access to an audience of about a 100,000 people.
我们都写了很有趣的书,都有获取100,000读者的渠道。
I read your book and I love it. So I decide to share it with my audience.
我读了你的书,很喜欢它。所以决定分享给我的读者。
And as a result, you now have thousands of people buying your book and reading your ideas.
结果是,你有数以千计的人买你的书,并阅读你的观点。
You see this and think, "Who is this guy? Let me take a look at his book."
你知道后就想,“这个家伙是谁?我要看看他的书。”
You start reading my book and think I have ideas that are valuable.
你开始读我的书,而且认为我的观点都很有价值。
So you decide to share it with your audience.
所以你决定和你的读者分享。
And as a result, I now have 1,000s of people buying my book and reading my ideas.
结果我也有数以千计的读者购买我的书,阅读我的思想。
Notice how different this is from my creating a little creepy Amazon account,
请注意这种方式和创建一个亚马逊账号,
finding your book and leaving a bad review, hoping that this will deter a few people from buying your book,
在你的书下留下差评,希望这会阻止人们买你的书,
which will in turn somehow get them to buy my book.
然后就反过来买我的书,是有区别的。
Habit number 4 is: think win-win. Stop thinking of everything as a zero-sum game.
习惯四:双赢思维。不要认为所有事情都是零和游戏。
For you to win, another person does not have to lose.
你赢了,别人也不会损失什么。
Something I want my viewers to do is to subscribe to my channel,
我希望观众能订阅我的频道,
but you will never hear me say, "Well, I worked really hard guys.
但我不会说,“我真的工作很努力。
I dedicated so many hours to this. Please subscribe."
我在这上面花费了很多时间。请订阅吧。”
Look, who cares if I worked hard? Who cares if I've spent days creating this video?
瞧,谁在乎我有没有努力工作?谁在乎我花了几天时间制作了这个视频?
The real questions are, does it offer value to you?
真正的问题是,它会给你带来价值吗?
And Why should you dedicate your time to subscribing, when you could be doing anything else that you want?
当你可以随心而做任何事情的时候为什么要花时间订阅呢?
Habit number 5 is something that I try to use every single day, with every interaction that I have, and with every comment that I reply to,
第五个习惯是我在每次互动和回复评论时都会努力践行的,
and it is this: seek first to understand, then to be understood.
那就是先了解对方,再被人理解。
Now imagine there are two people, and a tree with five apples on it.
设想一下有两个人,还有一棵树,上面有五个苹果。
They are both too short to reach the apples, but if one of them sits on the other's shoulders,
他们都太矮了拿不到苹果,但如果一人坐在另一人的肩上,
he can reach all five of the apples. This is called synergy.
他就能拿到全部的五个苹果。这就是协同效应。
The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
整体大于各部分之和。
Now I'll be the first to admit that you can't achieve this with everyone,
我当然承认这并不适用于每个人。
but you should always be looking for opportunities to create synergy.
但是你可以寻找创造协同效应的机会。
With every synergistic opportunity you create, you can gather many more apples than you otherwise would by yourself.
你创造的每一个协同的机会都会让你比单独行动收获更多的苹果。
Habit number 6 is: Synergize.
习惯六是统和综效。
A man has been trying to cut down a tree for hours.
一个人花几个小时尝试砍掉一棵树。
And after a while his neighbor can't take it anymore,
过了一会他的邻居实在受不了了,
goes over and says, "You know, if you sharpen the saw, you'll be able to cut it down faster."
走过去跟他说,“你知道吗,如果你把锯子磨得锋利一点,会更快的砍倒。”
And the man replies, "But, sharpening the saw is going to take time."
那人回应说,“但是,磨锯会花时间的。”
Now we might laugh at this story, but we do the same thing all the time.
现在我们可能会嘲笑这个故事,但我们一直在做着同样的事情。
We can't find 30 minutes a day, 4 times a week to go to the gym.
我们不能够每天30分钟,每周四次的去健身房。
Our health deteriorates to a point, where we're physically incapable of being effective.
我们的健康恶化到了一定程度,以致于不能有效率的做任何事情。
We can't read a book for 15 minutes a day and mentally stimulate ourselves.
我们每天连15分钟的书都读不了,也不能进行自我精神激励。
No! These things take too much time!
不,这些事情花太多时间了!
And then we have the audacity to ask for little tips and tricks on how to be effective.
然后我们就大言不惭的寻找有效率的秘诀和技巧。
It's like telling your engineer, "Don't worry about the foundation,
这就像是告诉你的工程师,“别管地基,
where can we get the magic bricks that will float in the air?"
我们能去哪找一些可以漂浮在空中的魔法砖头呢?
Habit number 7 is: sharpen the saw.
习惯七是不断更新。
And these are the 7 habits of highly effective people by Stephen Covey.
这就是史蒂芬·柯维的高效能人士的七个习惯。