There you are, reading a book in bed after a long day.
设想你忙碌一天后 终于有时间躺在床上读本书
You finish the chapter and go to close the book and… Ow! Paper cut!
正当你读完某章节准备合上书时 哎哟 被纸划伤了
Paper cuts are usually small and shallow, but they do tend to hurt a lot, for a few reasons.
划伤通常口子较小而且较浅 但因为某些原因 能让人感到相当痛
There's the fact that most paper cuts happen on your hands,
事实就是大多划伤都发生在你的手上
since you don't usually try to move pieces of paper with, like, your legs.
因为你通常是不会用比如大腿来翻页的
You're going to pay more attention to an injury when it's on a body part that you use all the time,
当伤口是在身体上某个一直用到的部位时
your brain thinks about your hands at least 10 times more than your arms or your legs.
你是会倍加关注的 比如大脑关心手 是关心手臂或大腿的十倍多
And of course, thinking about your cut means you're focusing on the pain.
当然 关心伤口意味着关注着疼痛
Plus, cuts on your fingertips are just more painful in general.
进一步来说 指尖上的疼痛 一般来说会更痛
Since you mainly use your fingers and your hands to feel the world around you,
由于你主要是依靠手指和手去感知你周围的事物
they're full of nociceptors, pain receptors that respond to things like pressure and temperature.
手上会有很多能对压力和温度起反应的痛觉感受器
Paper cuts directly damage the nociceptors in your outermost layer of skin, the epidermis,
纸划伤会直接损伤最外层皮肤即表皮的疼痛感受器
and those nerve bundles send pain signals to your brain.
以及那些把疼痛信号传递到大脑的神经束
Considering your hands have more nociceptors per square inch than almost any other part of your body,
手上每平方英寸的疼痛感受器要比其他部位多得多
it makes sense that a paper cut on your hand would be much more painful than a paper cut on, say, your arm.
也就说得通 为什么在手上的划伤会让人感觉痛得多 相比于在其他地方 比如说胳膊
Plus, of the different kinds of everyday objects that could cut you, paper is one of the most jagged.
而且在各种日常能划伤你的物件中 纸是最为参差不齐中的一种
A knife will generally leave a clean, residue-free cut,
刀子一般会留下一个干净无残痕的口子
but dull, flexible paper will tear your skin cells apart like a saw.
但又钝又软的纸则像一把锯把皮肤细胞撕开
Paper can also leave fragments and chemicals behind that irritate your vulnerable inner skin layer, or dermis.
纸也会留下碎片和化学品 这些东西会刺激易受损的的内层皮肤即内皮
Even with all that skin damage, many paper cuts aren't deep enough to hit blood vessels,
即使发生很多纸划伤深度不足以伤害血管的情况
so there's very little bleeding or clotting, which actually makes things worse.
所以几乎没有出血或是凝血的情况 其实会使情况变得更糟
Without a scab to protect the exposed tissue, every little thing you do can stimulate pain receptors.
没有痂来保护暴露的组织时 你所做的每件小事都能 刺激疼痛感受器
And superficial hand wounds take a long time to heal.
手表面的伤需要很长时间才能痊愈
When you use your hands to do things, wash dishes, play guitar, carry groceries,
当你用手去做事 洗碟子 弹吉他 拿杂物时
your paper cut keeps tearing and getting dirty, increasing the healing time.
纸划伤会持续撕裂 变脏 延长痊愈时间
So there are lots of different factors that combine to make paper cuts more painful than
于是有各种各样不同的原因综合起来令纸划伤让人更痛
you'd otherwise expect from such a shallow cut.
相对于其他引起浅口的损伤
Hands and the edges of paper are just a bad combination.
手和纸的边缘就是一对冤家
Thanks to Patreon patrons UrbanAbydos and Elvina Lui for asking,
感谢PatreonpatronsUrbanAbybos 和Elvina Lui的提问
and thanks to all our patrons who keep these answers coming.
以及所有一直思考得出这些答案的所有人
If you'd like to submit a question to be answered, just go to patreon.com/scishow,
如果你想要提交一个能被回复的问题 就到网站patreon.com/scishow查询
and don't forget to go to youtube.com/scishow and subscribe.
接着别忘了去youtube.com/scishow订阅哦