My friend tore it open, and we all three read it together.
我的朋友把信拆开,我们三个人围着一起读这封信。
It was dated at midnight of the preceding night and ran in this way:
写信日期是今天凌晨。信中这样写道:
MY DEAR MR.SHERLOCK HOLMES: You really did it very well.
亲爱的歇洛克·福尔摩斯先生:你的确干得非常漂亮。
You took me in completely. Until after the alarm of fire, I had not a suspicion.
你完全把我给骗过去了。直到发出火警以前,我一点也不疑心。
But then, when I found how I had betrayed myself, I began to think.
但是随后当我发觉我已经是如何泄露了自己的秘密时,我开始思索了。
I had been warned against you months ago.
几个月以前,人家就警告我要防备你了。
I had been told that if the King employed an agent it would certainly be you.
有人说要是国王雇一位侦探的话,那一定是你。
And your address had been given me.
他们已经告诉我你的地址。
Yet, with all this, you made me reveal what you wanted to know.
可是尽管所有这些,你还是使我泄露了你所想要知道的秘密。
Even after I became suspicious, I found it hard to think evil of such a dear, kind old clergyman.
甚至在我开始疑心以后,我还觉得很难相信那么一位上了年纪、和蔼可亲的牧师会怀有恶意。
But, you know, I have been trained as an actress myself.
但是,你知道,我自己是个训练有素的女演员。
Male costume is nothing new to me. I often take advantage of the freedom which it gives.
男性服装对我并不生疏。我自己就常常女扮男装,并趁机利用它所带来的自由。
I sent John, the coachman, to watch you, ran upstairs, got into my walking-clothes,
我派约翰--马车夫--监视你,然后跑上楼,穿上我的散步便服,
as I call them, and came down just as you departed.
我下楼来的时候,你正好离开。
Well, I followed you to your door,
随后,我在后面跟着你走到你家门口,
and so made sure that I was really an object of interest to the celebrated Mr.Sherlock Holmes.
这样,我肯定我真的是你这位著名的歇洛克·福尔摩斯先生感兴趣的对象了。
Then I, rather imprudently, wished you good-night, and started for the Temple to see my husband.
于是,我相当冒失地祝你晚安,接着动身到坦普尔去看我的丈夫。
We both thought the best resource was flight, when pursued by so formidable an antagonist;
我们俩都认为被这么一位可怕的对手盯着,三十六计走为上策;
so you will find the nest empty when you call to-morrow.
因此在你明天来时将发现这个窝是空的。