The door of Briony Lodge was open, and an elderly woman stood upon the steps.
布里翁尼府第的大门敞开着。一个上年纪的妇人站在台阶上。
She watched us with a sardonic eye as we stepped from the brougham.
她用一种蔑视的眼光瞧着我们从四轮马车里下来。
"Mr. Sherlock Holmes, I believe?" said she.
"我想是歇洛克·福尔摩斯先生吧?"她说道。
"I am Mr. Holmes," answered my companion, looking at her with a questioning and rather startled gaze.
"我是福尔摩斯,"我的伙伴诧异地、多少有些惊愕地注视着她答道。
"Indeed! My mistress told me that you were likely to call.
"真是!我的女主人告诉我你多半会来的。
She left this morning with her husband by the 5:15 train from Charing Cross for the Continent."
今天早晨她跟她的先生一起走了,他们乘五点十五分的火车从蔡林克罗斯到欧洲大陆去了。"
"What!" Sherlock Holmes staggered back, white with chagrin and surprise. "Do you mean that she has left England?"
"什么!"歇洛克·福尔摩斯向后打了个趔趄,懊恼和惊异得脸色发白。"你的意思是说她已经离开英国了吗?"
"Never to return." "And the papers?" asked the King hoarsely. "All is lost." "We shall see."
"再也不回来了。""还有那张照片呢?"国王嗄声嗄气地问道,"一切都完了!""我们要看一下。"
He pushed past the servant and rushed into the drawing-room, followed by the King and myself.
福尔摩斯推开仆人,奔进了客厅,国王和我紧跟在后面。
The furniture was scattered about in every direction, with dismantled shelves and open drawers,
家具四面八方乱七八糟地散摆着,架子拆了下来,抽屉拉开来了,
as if the lady had hurriedly ransacked them before her flight.
就好象这位女士在她出奔以前匆匆忙忙地翻箱倒柜搜查过一番似的。
Holmes rushed at the bell-pull, tore back a small sliding shutter,
福尔摩斯冲到铃的拉索的地方,
and, plunging in his hand, pulled out a photograph and a letter.
拉开一扇小拉门,伸进手去,掏出一张照片和一封信。
The photograph was of Irene Adler herself in evening dress,
照片是艾琳·艾德勒本人穿着夜礼服照的。
the letter was superscribed to "Sherlock Holmes, Esq. To be left till called for."
信封上写着:"歇洛克·福尔摩斯先生,留交本人亲收。"